Harebrained Schemes - January 13th Launch

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
In-case you have been living in an area with internet Harebrained Schemes announced last month they will launching a new Shadowrun Kickstarter.

Well we now know the date due to a new twiiter post.

B7AdO4-IIAAgCod.jpg

More information.

Me to I just hope they get more funding this time. They also don't have to spend time making a new engine as the Director's Cut version was a good update.

I don't believe they will receive the same level of funding they did last time.

I don't see why not as their track record speaks for it itself. Is it because gamers are complaining once again about them using kickstarter to fund development? o_O

As I have head that excuse many times already on other sites.

PS: Joxer I know your reading the thread and will say something about phone games.:roll:

I don't see why not as their track record speaks for it itself. Is it because gamers are complaining once again about them using kickstarter to fund development? o_O

As I have head that excuse many times already on other sites.

Yeah kickstarter has actually reached out to and convinced previous successful fundraisers like Larian to consider using the platform again citing a multiplicative effect. New backers backing a video game project in particular were found to be exceptionally likely to back multiple other projects afterwards. Succesful video game projects ultimately end up helping find support for other smaller projects basically. There was an article on it a while back, I think Larian even mentioned it at one point when changing their mind about possibly doing another kickstarter. Can't find it now though.

The vocal minority will hit the kickstarter and fund it but the average consumer that wanted a Shadowrun game for nostalgia reasons won't. It will probably be successful but I expect something like $800k to $1.2 million this time. They would be silly to ask for more.

Yeah kickstarter has actually reached out to and convinced previous successful fundraisers like Larian to consider using the platform again citing a multiplicative effect. New backers backing a video game project in particular were found to be exceptionally likely to back multiple other projects afterwards. Succesful video game projects ultimately end up helping find support for other smaller projects basically. There was an article on it a while back, I think Larian even mentioned it at one point when changing their mind about possibly doing another kickstarter. Can't find it now though.

Yeah I remember reading that article with Larain. I just don't understand the logic behind the idea of not supporting a developer again if they were successful.

As it was started as a model to fund games without needing publishers.
The vocal minority will hit the kickstarter and fund it but the average consumer that wanted a Shadowrun game for nostalgia reasons won't. It will probably be successful but I expect something like $800k to $1.2 million this time. They would be silly to ask for more.
Thanks for the reply ForNein, and it sound possible so I can't deny it might happen.

I only backed the Shadowrun Returns campaign at the $15 level, for which I received both the GOG and Steam versions of Shadowrun Returns and Dragonfall (Director's Cut) so I feel like I got a huge return on my "investment". Sure there were some bumps along the road; SRR was rather short and linear and (initially) had a very limited save system… But Dragonfall ended up being one of my favorite RPGS of all time.

I would definitely like to contribute a bit more this time around; unfortunately I'm really trying to save up as much as possible to find a new place to live… But these chummers have earned my nuyen.

Last edited:
I was not a KS backer but bought both games on Steam on release day. This time I will not make the same mistake and be a proud backer :)

I'll be interested to see what their plans are for this release, as well as their initial price goal.

Really depends on what they have to offer. If it is something similar to Dragonfall it could land around 1.5-2mil but if they expand the scope or the pitch is particular good I could easily see it going 3m+. Only problem is some people are probably thinking they can just wait and pick it up when it is on sale. I'm probably just going to throw in 50 dollars or so.

I'll be backing again.

It will be interesting to see how this kickstarter goes. Is this the first well known successful game campaign to come back to kickstarter for the sequel? It's the first one I'm aware of (double fine adventure and massive chalice was a different type situation IMO).

I hope they get more than last time. I would not be surprised to see it go either way. If I had to guess I agree with ForNein that they may get less. Why? Could be too soon (I bet a lot of people have yet to play 1&2 with today's backlogs), could be some kickstarter fatigue, could be like ForNein said and people already got their shadowrun fix and don't need another.

I only backed the Shadowrun Returns campaign at the $15 level, for which I received both the GOG and Steam versions of Shadowrun Returns and Dragonfall (Director's Cut) so I feel like I got a huge return on my "investment".

You're right on there, one of the best returns of any kickstarter game I've been in. Not that cheap prices are my reason for backing ;)

Either way, I am in, hope that they reach their funding and further improve the series.

Which brings me to:
Me to I just hope they get more funding this time. They also don't have to spend time making a new engine as the Director's Cut version was a good update.
I only played the Release Version of DragonFall. What were the significant changes in the engine in the directors cut version?

I only played the Release Version of DragonFall. What were the significant changes in the engine in the directors cut version?
Yes they updated how combat works and made managing skills easier. I remember they posted a few kickstarter updates last year about what they updated.

Update: I went through the database here are the links.

1. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1613260297/shadowrun-returns/posts/959972
2. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1613260297/shadowrun-returns/posts/968034
3. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1613260297/shadowrun-returns/posts/975556
4. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1613260297/shadowrun-returns/posts/983136

Last edited:
Will happily back it, especially since the engine is already in place now. If they continue to expand the game systems (better companion building/equipping), I know I'll get my money's worth.

I'll back it if they keep improving the game's systems (inventory, party management, etc). If it turns out to be a stand alone DLC, I won't back it this time. I'll wait for the release to see if it's worth buying. We should stop pre-ordering games if we want to reverse the tide of buggy, broken, glitchy game releases.

I'll back it if they keep improving the game's systems (inventory, party management, etc). If it turns out to be a stand alone DLC, I won't back it this time. I'll wait for the release to see if it's worth buying. We should stop pre-ordering games if we want to reverse the tide of buggy, broken, glitchy game releases.

I agree with you but SRR and Dragonfall is none of those games.

I bet the game will be minimum $20 this time, KS games for $15 seem rare these days.

Daniel.

Back
Top Bottom