Shadowrun: Hong Kong - Funded & 1st Update

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Most you know by now the new Shadowrun: Hong Kong kickstarter has been funded in one day, and is well on it's way to making $300,000 & all of its first stretch goals.

Harebrained Schemes also posted the first update about the exciting day.

With your support, we were able to hit our first funding goal in less than 2 hours and we just hit our third one. That means we'll be able to add Enhanced Player Controls, Animatic Scene Transitions and Racter, our favorite Russian, to your team!

The team is really appreciative of the opportunity you've given us. All we want is to do our very best work for an audience who wants what we're making. So, thanks for the (rapid) outpouring of support.

As you can imagine, that warmth means a lot to us in the chill of the Pacific Northwest. The team is trying hard to focus on their work but it's tough not to hit "refresh" on your browser every few minutes. Nevertheless, good stuff is happening in the studio and we're working on all sorts of production-y things simultaneously.
More information.

Lovely that they've made that much money, but at the same time nowhere near where they were with their first attempt. I hope more fans pour dough in to help out so we'll at least reach 400k by the end of the 24 hour cycle.

I think they are further along at this point compared to the first campaign. They made $1.8 million in the first one and they may go further this time.

Pledges on day 1:
Shadowrun Returns: $296,988
Shadowrun: Hong Kong: $267,945

So the current campaign on day 1 has 90% of the pledges the SR campaign had on day 1. Considering they already have the engine and the funding for the base Hong Kong campaign, it's very likely that we'll get a great game again.

Last edited:
Edit: Just read Morrandir. Obviously my post was wrong. Although the new campaign does run for slightly longer so that could possibly turn things around? I guess it is still a pretty good outcome but to be honest I was hoping it would be slightly more ambitious, something like a 25 hour main story + optional side quests. Having said that I have already backed it - I may increase my funding depending on how it tracks and what funding goals are added later (if any).

Harebrained Schemes is a champion of Kickstarter. They work fast and still release patches for their KS games.

Lovely that they've made that much money, but at the same time nowhere near where they were with their first attempt. I hope more fans pour dough in to help out so we'll at least reach 400k by the end of the 24 hour cycle.

You must note that they have the engine plus all the game dev tools they need. So they are only developing content for the Hong Kong a story module this time.

They got me at $15, glad they didn't increase it.

Daniel

Pledges on day 1:
Shadowrun Returns: $296,988
Shadowrun: Hong Kong: $267,945

So the current campaign on day 1 has 90% of the pledges the SR campaign had on day 1. Considering they already have the engine and the funding for the base Hong Kong campaign, it's very likely that we'll get a great game again.

But Day 1 is not done yet. How do you count days, by 24h passes or some other way?
If it is 24h then day 1 is still on for 5 more hours.

I forgot to pledge yesterday, but pledged today. I am really pleased that they outlined what the additional funds will be used for. More options are always better. Now I understand I don't just get an ice cream, but by pledging I also get the chocolate sauce, the whip cream and the cherry.

Not bad as the game has now made $330,224 in one/two days. This also means the next stretch goal called Gobbet's Side Mission was made. Next up is better sounds.:celebrate:

They already have a fully functioning game engine (now boasting save-anywhere feature!!), and they're promising an RPG with 12+ hours of gameplay?

Presumably more funding equals a longer play time, which they so say in their comments. Dragonfall was an estimated 20 hours of game play; 30 hours if you're a completionist.

They already have a fully functioning game engine (now boasting save-anywhere feature!!), and they're promising an RPG with 12+ hours of gameplay?

After all the time I've dropped into Epically Huge games of Epic Hugeness like Dragon Age: Inquisition, the thought of a shorter game with a tighter, more focused design and none of the bloat is kind of appealing.

I no longer back kickstarters but I'll probably pick it up on release. They'll want money then as well, I'm sure.

Just switched over to 33 days
backers
$357,246
pledged of $100,000 goal
days to go

First three days and the last three days are usually the best for contributions. This game will probably reach at least a couple of million, I'd guess.

Great news. I was never into the Shadowrun universe, but I've been very impressed by the Harebrained Schemes PC games. Really like the old-school engine that runs super slick, and the tactical combat.

I enjoyed their announcement video, and I like their style. They seem to have mastered the proper scope and approach to a Kickstarter indie, in a way that many studios have failed to do.

We're going to hit the Enhanced Cyber goal pretty soon. Very happy to see it chugging along nicely, but I really hope they can surpass expectations and hit at least a million this time around. Also, for the people here not jumping on this time, beyond money concerns, why not? They're a proven company with a good record of using kickstarter money well, you should hop to it :)

Back
Top Bottom