Serpent in the Staglands - New Update

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Whalenought Studios posted new update for Serpent in the Staglands.

Mechanics, updates, pit fights and news sightings

Progress at Whalenought continues smoothly as we’re rounding out the end content for the game. In the meantime we wanted to share an update with what we've been working these past few weeks.

Account Downloads

We’ve updated the website a bit and our store page now has more information on what the digital boxes purchased through us will contain (what you all backed). The website will also house where, for those of you who want the game DRM-free, can download it at will upon release if you sign into your account. We'll be creating accounts with backer email addresses in this new system in the next month, with your reward listed, so expect an email notifying you about it at some point soon. We'll also be sending Steam Keys via email upon release.

Beta Patch 2.0

We’ve been focusing some of our time into increasing marketing efforts, mainly split between finishing up some remaining items for the beta 2.0 patch and continuing to complete the last of the maps. Beta 2.0 will include and be the culmination of a lot of updated mechanics, UI, items, and locations that are all coming together to really start to show the final product, and we’re thrilled to be getting it out to you beta testers soon. We were planning on getting it out earlier but wanted to polish up all the grade 2 skills and spells and finish some lingering bugs, so it will be a big update.
More information.

Great news! They are switching to Turn Based Tactical gameplay!

Oh, wait, they aren't.

Oh, wait, they aren't.
Oh, wait, who cares as I sometimes think you are nothing but a troll good sir.;)

You can criticize most kickstarter games till your blue in the face with your knowledge how the game should be made. In the meantime I will enjoy playing them.

Now bring on the final version of Serpent in the Staglands with it's action combat.

You can criticize most kickstarter games till your blue in the face with your knowledge how the game should be made. In the meantime I will enjoy playing them.

Is that why his avatar is blue?

Seems like a decent game with a lot of options.

Oh, wait, they aren't.
Nice! Snark related to RTWP games is always welcomed by me, sir.

Oh, wait, they aren't.

Asking for turn based combat in a Darklands clone makes about as much sense as asking for romanceable anthropomorphs.

Oh, wait, who cares as I sometimes think you are nothing but a troll good sir.;)

Now bring on the final version of Serpent in the Staglands with it's action combat.

Well, I always moaned for the lack of good turn based RPGs and now playing Dragon Age Origins, which is realtime-pause and find it super addictive. Preaching water and drinking wine? Three elements came together here: Mass Effect style dialogues [love them], talented MODders' awesome work [hats off to them, full respect], miraculous writing ability of Bioware designers[I'm not worthy], who created a quality very rarely seen in games, those games I can count on one hand probably: to write such a lore/legends for DAO that are pure fun to read.

So my post about turn-based here can be considered ignorant and not likeable at all.

Whalenought Studios has the possibility to create a similar phenomenon that Bioware and the couple of dozen MOD creators achieved with DAO, making an absolutely undeniable argument in support for real-time pause combat system.

In the end we want awesome games, so it doesn't seem to matter if turn based or realtime, the game must become a brilliant creation. These successes are rare, considering, how many games are put on the market.

I hope Whalenought will convince people with an excellent creation, so turn-based lovers will say "Can't have enough" of Serpent in the Staglands and can admit: OK, I was totally wrong about wanting this turn-based.

In the end we want awesome games, so it doesn't seem to matter if turn based or realtime, the game must become a brilliant creation.
You can speak for yourself there. Not saying there haven't been great RTWP games (I loved BG series like anybody else), but I will say those party-style RPGs would've been even better with turn-based. RTWP just sits on the fence and tries to cobble together two disparate systems. It will never be as good as choosing one or the other.

RTwP is excellent, I really dig it. It has the tension, excitement, pace and feel of a live action game, yet retains the ability to stop time and give specific orders like that of a turn-based game. It's really the best of both worlds to me.

I personally can't wait for this game. It seems like it's going to be a truly awesome old-school experience. :)

Although I prefer turn-based, I tend to agree with Fluent's comment. I find RTwP a great hybrid, and love it much more than real-time combat.

I don't really see any of the three systems better than the other, I believe it's just a matter of preference.

As for the game, I'm certainly interested, but that's the kind of game where I prefer to wait for reviews and comments once it's finished.

Is anyone willing to compare this game to Baldur's Gate 1 (or 2 if they are not familiar to 1)?
Just compare couple of stuff like combat, gameplay, story, companions, how complex is magic system, how hard is the game and so on.

This is a husband and wife dev team, I can't see how the game won't end up unrealized or underwhelming in some way. Just plain not enough manpower. I learned my lesson with Kickstarter.

This is a husband and wife dev team, I can't see how the game won't end up unrealized or underwhelming in some way. Just plain not enough manpower. I learned my lesson with Kickstarter.

That's pretty much why I didn't back it, and also because they don't have much experience.

But it doesn't necessarily mean it won't be good. There are only 3 people at Spiderweb after all, and Knights of the Chalice was made by a single person ! So you never know, it may turn out quite good.

I think this game is shaping up nicely.

But it doesn't necessarily mean it won't be good. There are only 3 people at Spiderweb after all, and Knights of the Chalice was made by a single person ! So you never know, it may turn out quite good.

Very true.

Now to hijack the thread a little, Couch you should try to get an interview with Pierre about Knights of the Chalice 2, how Battle of the Sands did for him, etc.

Now to hijack the thread a little, Couch you should try to get an interview with Pierre about Knights of the Chalice 2, how Battle of the Sands did for him, etc.
I can try but I can't promise it will happen as it's up to the developer not me.^^

You can do one with Jeff Vogel too, if you wish, Couch ! :)

By the way, Couch, are you doing all this work for free ? I remember when you started posting news (I was a lurker back then) that I was annoyed by the frequency of news that seemed to come from blogs by 12 years old kids who didn't know the difference between « It's good » and « I like », but now, man, I am just amazed by the number of quality news you can find everyday ! Congrats ! :)

Back
Top Bottom