RPG Codex - RPGOTY Awards

Gorath

Prime Evil
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
We somehow forgot to post a link to the RPGCodex RPGOTY Awards. Probably because we assumed everybody knew about them already. The results are quite interesting, although both the RPGOTY and the Golden Turd Award aren't as controversial as expected. ;)

More information.

The Codex discussing more the calculation of the GotY-list than the games can be translated: 2014 was really a good year for the CRPG genre.

Say what you will about the Codex, but they have great taste… in CRPGs, at least. Guess I'll have to check out Neo Scavenger as this game somehow flew under my radar. Also need to check out Tales of Maj'Eyal and I suppose I should try the JRPGs mentioned as well.

@HiddenX: Now that I look at the screenshots for NeoScavenger, they do indeed look familiar... Guess I just forgot. I don't know how I feel about the whole roguelike aspect, but I'll try the demo at least.

Rogue-likes and Survival games are hip right now. Too many for my taste - but Neo Scavenger is really good.

No mention of the newest Dragon Age game and the aforementioned Neo Scavenger gives this list much credibility. The past year was great for crpgs, especially the turn based variety. Even Banner Saga got some mention, and that was a decent indie venture. If you've not tried Neo Scavenger, I'd suggest it.

The fact that Neo Scavenger received a low number of votes suggests that whose who like survival mode in games ate it up, while almost nobody else played it. It sounds like a niche product and is not a genre I find appealing, except in a TV show.

Yes, the whole issue I have with neoscavanger is the whole scavanger aspect, lol. They say that rich people like depressing fantasy and poor people like uplifting fantasy, well, I like my uplifting fantasy and the better neoscavanger is at presenting a depressing atmosphere, the less I'm likely to like it, even if it has amazballs gameplay.

This is a trend I've noticed quite repeatedly in codex-like environments, that the games with depressing atmospheres often have the better gameplay credentials - Fallout/Wasteland/neoscavanger whereas the high-fantasy games like Dragon Age/Neverwinter/Elder Scrolls which promote the more positive hero atmosphere are oft the ones criticised for poor gameplay.

Do you think it's deeper than personal taste?

Do you think that intelligence relates to wealth relates to a preference for depressing games relates to niche quality games whereas general dumbness relates to poverty relates to a preference of positive games relates to popular popamoles?

Just a thought I had...

!! They gave an award to MM:X? But... that has UPlay!

Anyway, more kudos for D:OS. That's always a good thing. (And not just because our two websites got mentions.)

The fact that Neo Scavenger received a low number of votes suggests that whose who like survival mode in games ate it up, while almost nobody else played it. It sounds like a niche product and is not a genre I find appealing, except in a TV show.
Yea, I don't enjoy survival games and rogue likes so I never even considered getting it. Same for games like Dead State and some others.

I gave State of Decay a "test run" and quit after 30 minutes.

Back
Top Bottom