Spiderweb Games - New Avadon Game

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Once again Kordanor has provided me with an update from the latest newsletter from Spiderweb Games with information Avadon III will be the next game to get released.

In this newsletter is a small section called "what is next":

"We're about to start porting Avernum 2 to iPad. Then, when that is done, we will begin to complete the Avadon trilogy. If you are looking for something fun to play on the iPad in the meantime, Avernum: Escape From the Pit HD is a lot of fun"

So next in line is Avadon 3
More information.

I was just talking about this on two other threads. So this news make me happy as I enjoyed his latest Avernum remake, but I find his Avadon games to be better.

Avadon 2 was phenomenal. It was my first experience of a Spiderweb Games game and I thought it was pretty much an ideal, party-based, turn-based RPG. Had everything I wanted from the genre, for sure!

That said, I'm even more excited for the Avernum series, since I absolutely love the premise behind those games, as well as the more open exploration. It's just great that Mr. Vogel and his team are able to craft these masterpieces in the modern era and still thrive as a business. It takes a special kind of genius to do that and I have nothing but praise for those guys and gals.

Keep the great games coming. :)

Avadon is very generic and bland and it's obvious at this point Vogel has lost his spunk from Geneforge and Nethergate that is now long gone. I found it insipid and forgettable through and through.

On top of that he used to make totally open worlds, now you must investigate the zones linearly. It totally sucks. He even said "this is how I like to make games now, there's nothing I can do".

I'd probably prefer to see Avernum 3's rewrite first to be honest, but having played Avadon 1+2 to completion, I'd still be curious to see what direction Jeff intends for that setting.

In the meantime, I've still got Crystal Souls, Nethergate and the Geneforge series for my Spiderweb itch. :)

Back
Top Bottom