Raven's Cry - Review @ Attack of the Fanboy

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Here is the first English review I can find for Raven's Cry, and its from a site called Attack of the Fanboy. The reviewer did not like the game, and gave it a 2/5.

Raven's Cry has very few redeemable qualities. Despite having the potential to be the ultimate pirate adventure, and the inclusion of a ton of features, it's not very fun to play and has quite a few technical issues.
More information.

Last edited:
IGN gave it 3/10.
Do you need a better reason to buy it?

Low score AotF site is obvious from the first sentence - he expected AC clone.
And the game is totally different than AC.

Wait for at least one patch.
Several quests are bugged. Only sidequests though, but one can stop the game progression. And this "only" means devs didn't put too much attention into sidequests, I mean… Hell who plays RPGs just for the main story?
The game absolutely didn't crash on me at all. Some people on their hardware have constant crashes for currently unknown reasons.

Just finished the game, it's fun and I'll replay it, maybe instantly, regardless of those few annoyances. Will see tomorrow.

Whoever buys it, don't expect a masterpiece. The unique game, fun for 40 hours at least, yes, but more than that… It just can't compete with The Stick of Truth.

I wont say the game is terrible, but it is a disappointment.

I wont say the game is terrible, but it is a disappointment.
Not to me, sorry.
I just love it and can't help it.
Sure, it could have been better, QA failed here. Seems that the preview version was the only QA/betatest they had. Some say this game was 4 years in development, I don't believe it. Unless it's one person who made everything on their own.
I hope that was supposed to be a joke. Stick of Truth is pretty bad imo.
Sorry, not a joke. To me it's a nearmasterpiece.

Don't apologize for liking a game Joxer we all have different tastes.

Now as for the development the game was in production for four years, but Topware scrapped the first prototype that developer Octane made after shutting down.

As I said before it's a miracle that Reality Pump even finished the game.

This will be 75% for sure in the summer sale, also asking 55e for it :lol:, probably in a bundle in one year.

IGN gave it 3/10.
Do you need a better reason to buy it?

A 3/10 is insane. Even the beta version I played was worth more than that. Sorry to see that because it's going to hurt the sales and I feel the game had a lot of potential.

A 3/10 is insane. Even the beta version I played was worth more than that. Sorry to see that because it's going to hurt the sales and I feel the game had a lot of potential.

That's why QA is so important from a marketing point of view. Many of us can ignore bugs if they are either cosmetic (I don't care if there is a graphical glitch), fixable (via console command, or taking a different approach, etc), or even secondary (as in some secondary quest not completable, though this one irks me), as long as the game is good. But reviewers do tend to give a lot of importance to bugs.

Hell no, SoT is like the funniest game I've ever played. And as an RPG is serviceable (except for the QTE minigames for the attacks).

The Stick of Truth is awful as an RPG. There's really nothing else to say, and I'm a huge fan of South Park.

I loved South Park! It's one of few movie/series based games that looks and feels like the actual series. And it's hilarious, probably the funniest game I've ever played. It's not often I laugh outloud at something in a game.

At any rate, Raven's Cry.. wow those are bad scores. I don't usually care all that much about review scores, but those really are bad. It's rare for scores to ever get that bad. I was actually hoping to play it soon, but I think I'll wait a bit.

While I don't care that much for these reviews I'm in a waiting position currently and hoping for patches and a price drop.

A lot of things around the projects seems amateurish, I think that now backfires on them:
  • lack of news: they didn't say any word about a delay until the very day of their planned release (november 26th or something); very little news/PR at all
  • no community management: Raidor (dev/publisher guy) said on steam forums that they don't have and don't want to have a community managemer because it's too expensive and instead they use the resources for making the game. That may sound good, but imho you need someone to talk to the community nowadays.
  • no clue of Steam mechanics: Raidor said that there's no preload because he doesn't know how it works
It looks like they spent all their energy to develop the game and "forgot" there are some things you need to take care of as well. I guess they didn't forget it but just ran out of funds and needed to release.

This game just very obviously did not have enough funding.
I bet the devs were in one hell of a crunchtime for the last half year.

3/10 is harsh and I seriously doubt it to be that bad. I don't get what IGN gains from punishing small developers. By reading this review it sounds like a fun albeit heavily flawed game. Something like 5/10 or 6/10 would sound more fair to me. Not worth of the full price they're asking though.

Last edited:
A lot of times the things these modern mainstream media review sites don't like about a game, are exactly the kind of things I do like about games.

I'm still looking forward to playing Ravens Cry, but I think I'll wait For a few more patches to come out.

Topware and Reality Pump never seem to be able to catch a brake from these guys.

RPS article says this in the title:
The First Few Hours Of Raven’s Cry
You sure you want to judge the game based on that, or you'll trust more someone who actually finished the game (aka me :))?

I said up there and I'm 100% sure the game did not have classic betatest phase.
Some obvious things are in the game. Like stumbling upon unkillable opponents in a quest. While it's a sidequest and someone can suspect betatesters were instructed not to follow those, then it's impossible betatesters, if there were any, didn't notice losing flags AND weapons during one main quest. And things like that.

RC is a fine game, and thanks to IGN and likes it'll maybe end up in top10 underestimated games of all times.
I'll try to help it doesn't. Did the nonperformance buglist for R3 (that will never be patched it seems), can do it for RC.

On the question of price, in my case the game is worth every penny. I paid the same price for games I didn't have this much fun. For example Square Enix' Murdered: Soul Suspect. It looked superb on the paper and I hoped for another step and improvement in advenure genre. And then I finished the game in 10 hours without a sweat asking myself all the time why am I actually playing that mediocrity. Wouldn't surprise me if IGN put 10/10 on it.

If you're searching for unique games, stuff that plays different from mainstream usually mediocre clones, give RC a shot. Feel free to wait for the patch as some people definetly have crashes - I didn't have any, but there is a problem with certain hardware setup.

55e for something that should have been released in early access, something with plenty of bugs and missing content and that probably will have 100 patches by the end of 2015...yep worth every money

Back
Top Bottom