Raven's Cry - Giant Bomb Quick Look

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Last edited:
Critics hate the game:
http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/ravens-cry

Dunno why since I plain adore the game!

One patch is already released and it solves some issues. The game is not nearly as buggy as some say, but I have to add that it still crashes frequently on certain hardware setups.

Ah joxer...I know what it is like to want to like a game...but Raven's Cry...it is just terrible...it reminds me of Sea Dogs, also a terrible game, but both have some charm I suppose. But let's not be fooled: Raven's Cry is so poorly made...so poorly.

If only.
Although I finished it, I'm replaying the game instantly - yes, that means I love it and don't want to let it go yet!

Different tastes I suppose. Seems I was hungry for this type of a game. Which is no wonder after so many dumb grinders.

I think I'll buy it in some weeks just to find out if I like it or not. ;)

I think I'll buy it in some weeks just to find out if I like it or not. ;)

I would be surprised if you discover that you like it. This game was made for a very specific market, namely joxer. Everybody else seems to dislike it :biggrin:

If it was made for me it would be more kinky, more dirty and definetly more swearing.

Well here is the changelog from the new patch, and whats still missing from the game.

GAME STABILITY
- Steam DRM encryption removed (improves overall stability and performance)
- Random EXE crashes fixed
- fixed bug causing hero to freeze in the air
- fixed bugs with flying NPCs / enemies
- Level fixes in Santo Domingo, Bridgetown, Port Royal, Saint George, Santa Muerte, San Juan

BALANCING:
- ship mast HP increased
- adjusted price of some goods
- some balancing adjustments in skills

GUI:
- tool tips added to Quest Log
- Tutorial messages added to Quest Log
- various corrections in quest log

GRAPHICS/LEVELS:
- Various animations improved
- Improved character models
- Port Royal Ship markers Positions fixed
- camera positions in various dialogues fixed
- fixed bug with officer's models on the ship (but the hooker stays ;))
- St. Domingo: ladders added
- Santa Muerte: corrected stairs

SOUND:
- missing German VOs added
- missing English VOs added
- some distance volume corrections

SETTINGS:
- HD video clips - default set to OFF (please note, switch ON if system speed allows)

STEAM DELUXE AND PREORDER:
- Unlocked Deluxe Edition items
- Preorder Items will unlock Feb.8th 2015

QUESTS/STORY:
(!!!spoilers alert!!! - please do not read, if you did not play the game so far)

Please note: Save Games from version 1.00 are compatible, but quest related bugs are stored in the old save games from version 1.00 - fixes of quest bugs will be only effective, if the game is re-started.

- Game Over message, while failing to defend Santorio’s Island now properly displayed
- Kensington ship quest will be solved even if ships are boarded
- France Fraction Quest: using flag in the Battle of Cumana now should work properly.
- Blockade at British Waters now blocks efficiently.
- Chests on Isla Dauphine now opens properly
- British Fraction Quest is now available later in the game, not from beginning.
- Additional Reales and Experience for Fraction Quests

———————

Known Priority Issues (to be fixed in further Patches)
- still 190 English VOs missing (1.02)
- various sound level corrections
- some level corrections
- some balancing issues
- SLI/crossfire settings and other optimizations need to be fixed in upcoming graphics drivers
- …

Upcoming Features:
- Benchmark with auto setup for Graphic Settings
- Steam Workshop support
- Multiple Language support (VOs and subtitles can be selected in game)
I would definably wait a few more months till playing the game.

I would definably wait a few more months till playing the game.
I just want to know, since I can't understand it, what critics found so unbearable in this game to spit on it. If they have said "mediocre", I'd say okay, maybe it is and I just like some parts more than them. But per critics one should think this is the worst game ever made. An it isn't, honestly.
So as long as you'll play it eventually and then explain to me why critics hate this game, I'll be happy.

Are there any women in this game?
Don't bother posting me youtube links, I'm not watching unless it's pr0n.
Yes, there are women in this game. There are no children.

Careful Joxer your stating to sound like me with BioWare Games.:p

I'll let you know how I feel about the game when I do eventually play it. As for reviewers their known to give European RPGs low scores. I though everyone knew this already.

Though there have been a few exceptions over the years.

I played a beta version and I still thought the game was solid and had potential. I don't understand the super negative reviews, but I guess it's like you said, Couch - reviewers don't like bugs. Also, some reviewers just copy others and 'go with the flow', so if they see IGN gave it a 30, they give it a bad score, too.

If anything, check the game out now but save a more serious playthrough for a few more patches.

If anything, check the game out now but save a more serious playthrough for a few more patches.
I agree check it out now but wait for a few more patches till it's more playable. As for the IGN review I don't agree with them, but hey it's IGN that reason enough not to.

Anyway I will will say this always play a game, and form your own opinion. As I have enjoyed many movies, and games that reviewers, and other watchers call terrible.

IGN giving it a 30 is absurd, but hey, to each their own. Even the beta I played would have scored at least a 55-60, and it was missing most of the voice overs and some features. The core game had massive potential, though.

I also agree with you - check it out and form your own opinion. Don't let the negative reviews influence your guys' experience with the game.

If I get the chance I'll play it and review it soon. Maybe I, too, should wait for some patches, though. :thinking:

Ah yeah, IGN.
The site that tends to give 9/10 to games I wouldn't play even if someone paid me to do that.

Last edited:
I would be surprised if you discover that you like it. This game was made for a very specific market, namely joxer. Everybody else seems to dislike it :biggrin:
Actually there are some guys at the steam forums who like it as well. I doubt all of them are joxer fake accounts. ;)

LOL
I don't use multiaccs. If I have to say something I say it under this nick. For example, telling where it counts that EA's business smells like sicillian mafia? Went on Bioware forum and posted it. And you know how it goes in EA. They ban you on a forum and you can't play any EA games after that. Well, they didn't ban me… Yet! :D

I bought the game, because I liked the previous RPGs from the company, Two Worlds 1 and 2. In Raven's Cry one thing really disappointed me, and that's the most important thing in an action RPG: combat. Now, Two Worlds series' combat also wasn't shining but it worked somehow. But Raven's Cry's combat simply terrible with stiffy animations. How did the devs overlook the most important aspect of the game?

Back
Top Bottom