Lords of Xulima - Physical Editions Update

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Numantian Games next update for Lords of Xulima has news about the Physical Editions. Looks like their might be some trouble with them. Read on for the details.

Let's talk a bit about the Physical Editions!

Before starting our crowdfunding campaign we were learning a lot from other projects and their authors. One of the most common advice was, "Avoid the physical rewards, their production and manufacture can be a nightmare!

And despite following all of the other advice which was very useful for us, we thought that physical editions for an old-school RPG with a wonderful map, bestiary book, and guide, was simply something mandatory. Even the team members dreamed of having a beautiful Lords of Xulima boxed edition in our hands. So yes, we included those rewards while we said, "Okay, no worries, we will deal with it in the future!"

And the future is now...

So... I don't have words to explain how difficult it has been dealing with all of this stuff. We have a big problem because of the number of units which is less than 400. Because of this we cannot contract a company to produce everything in mass, as the fixed costs are really big. Also 400 is too much for handling them on our own. And of course we want something really cool, not a cheap plastic box or a low quality printed bestiary book. We wanted something exclusive and unique for the backers.

We had to search for other solutions. We spent lots of days searching for the best way to handle this. Finally, we made an agreement with another company that specializes in this stuff for producing and shipping the physical editions.

So everything is OK now?

No, it isn't. The problem with working with an external company is that everything gets delayed a lot with meetings, design tests, discussions.... and start again. We had prepared all the books for December but the production was delayed two months. After that, we have had to reformat the two books again with more than 200 pages...
More information.

I'm happy that they finally get this difficult task done.

Sounds like another great example of why indie developers should steer clear of physical goods. I know a lot of old schoolers want them but it just doesn't seem to be worth the time, money and headache.

Yeah I don't need that junk cluttering my house, and boy oh boy does it seem to be a nightmare for creators. They generally have enough to worry about without things like this to make it even worse.

I'm all for physical reward tiers on kickstarter, but not for indie devs with no infrastructure or knowledge to support it.

I'm all for physical reward tiers on kickstarter, but not for indie devs with no infrastructure or knowledge to support it.

Agreed. I think if you're going to be asking for somewhere around 500k, then physical tiers are a good idea, but for someone asking for under 50k, physical rewards can just eat away the development funds.

Back
Top Bottom