Raven's Cry - Review @ GameWatcher

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
GameWatcher has the next negative review for Raven's Cry I found this week. How negative you may ask? Well the reviewer gave the game a final score of 2.5/10.

If you haven’t guessed it already, Raven’s Cry is quite blatantly unfinished. I personally guesstimate that it needed a whole ‘nother year in development but either Reality Pump or TopWare ran out of money. Which is a shame, since after that year it could’ve been a good game. At this point in time though, it’s the complete opposite. In every aspect Raven’s Cry is painfully dull, excruciatingly frustrating, and woefully glitchy. There is literally nothing fun here at all and I can’t imagine anyone wanting to play it for anything other than a Mystery Science Theater 3000-style evening of mockery. It’s the worst game of 2015 so far, and it’ll probably hold that title until Alone In The Dark: Illumination comes out. Avoid, please god avoid.
More information.

Another one? I won't read the whole of it, just a few comments on this quoted part.

If you haven’t guessed it already, Raven’s Cry is quite blatantly unfinished.
This is partially true. What was not finished is voiceovers. As usual, voiceovers to critics is the game. Everything else is not the game.
How do I know the game was finished? Because I finished it (and not just me). The release version every critics supposedly has on their PC.

In every aspect Raven’s Cry is painfully dull, excruciatingly frustrating, and woefully glitchy.
My my, I wonder what was so frustrating. Lack of arcadey combat? Sea battles too different from click2win crapware critics usually praise? Or perhaps the fact the game contains whorehouses where you can't pick just any whore to… whore?
Dull… What exactly? RPG mechanics? Story? Something else? Yea, let's spit in general.
All glitches in my game were no different from other games, most of them are already patched, but I didn't see critics mentioning DX crashes while crowning their GOTY.

It’s the worst game of 2015 so far, and it’ll probably hold that title until Alone In The Dark: Illumination comes out. Avoid, please god avoid.
I can't see how Raven's Cry is the worst game. Maybe I would - if critics did articulate exactly what's wrong in it. But each and every one of them use vague expressions and a few crappy irrelevant screenshots to prove their point. In the end I wonder if any of them actually played the game but instead are watching alpha videos and write what they saw on youtube. Or maybe, I mean it's still possible, maybe they played the pirated version that's known for being incomplete (lacking 2Gb of files) and is crashing like crazy?

This game is a major case of critics fighting against new ideas and new approaches while pushing mainstream grinding mediocrity where the most important thing in development was motion capture crap.
On the other hand, do not expect a spectacular journey here. The game is good, but is not superb.

Does it deserve less metascore aggro than Dungeon Keeper?
http://www.metacritic.com/game/ios/dungeon-keeper
You can't know unless you try it.

Joxer, face the facts man. Opinion of the majority is against you and you might be one of the very few who liked this game. Or you can just keep on disassociating :)

You've misinterpretted something or I wasn't clear enough.
I liked the game. That's true.
I'm not saying everyone should like the game. People have different tastes.
Put the audience aside, especially majority of the audience - I wouldn't go there really when I see how many people bought Destiny. :D

I'm saying that towards this game critics are being unfair. Critics. Can we please concentrate on that part?

Yes Sir!

Joxer, face the facts man. Opinion of the majority is against you and you might be one of the very few who liked this game. Or you can just keep on disassociating :)

It is funny how this is his Skyrim, he hated that game and majority liked it.

Yep, I completed Skyrim doing most of the questlines before a single patch was released. I then modded the hell out of it, with the unofficial patches and completed it again. The bugs never stopped me and I got 600 hours of fun. RC is about 1/10 the size of Skyrim and it is extremely buggy according to everyone not named Joxer. The steam forums are full of complaints and so are other forums. Joxer must have the only copy that isn't totally infested ;)

Still, I'm glad to see that he liked it. At least the game has one fan and I'll probably play it after Two Worlds 3 :biggrin: Since he and I have pretty similar tastes in rpgs, I'm sure I'll have fun too.

Skyrim? RC has nothing to do with Skyrim. Why comparing RC with Skyrim?
If you're searching for a similar Bethesda's game to compare RC with, it'd be Bethesda's Pirates of Caribbean. Not Skyrim.

Or you're trying to compare Bejeweled with GTA 5.

Buy it crpgnut, I bet you'll love it. You. Forget Steam forums crybabies who played the game for 10 minutes and discovered it's not AC:blackflag clone so they uninstalled it. Please, just don't join the posse and lynchmob who didn't even try the game and trust Gamespot reviews.

I'll play it for sure, but I've got a goal to get through my backlog, so I've got to play a bunch of games, starting with Venetica, which you recommended :)

It is funny how this is his Skyrim, he hated that game and majority liked it.
An even funnier thing is that even today Skyrim is almost as played (78,420 vs 69,249 in January) as at release while Raven's cry all time concurrent peak players is 242 :D

I'll play it for sure, but I've got a goal to get through my backlog, so I've got to play a bunch of games, starting with Venetica, which you recommended :)
Venetica is easy to recommend, it's a small gem of pure fun and for all I know it wasn't panned by critics. Unlike Venetica, RC in the review above is called for being the worst game in 2015.

Take your time, I'm not saying you need to play the game right now. It'll eventually get discounted, perhaps even bundled, take your try then.
Just like for 2014. at least youtube reviewers will have lists of worst games, last year on almost all those lists top 3 worst games were DK, Rambo and some Sonic game, I'll definelty bump this thread up when this year gets over so we'll see how much credibility GameWatcher has.

I can't believe this game is as bad as it's seen by the reviewers.
But I'll see for myself some day.

couch will probably add some more reviews as they come, so I'm pointing to the list of all critics so far (including nonenglish ones and ones without classic x/5 or x/10 system) made by Kakyou-Kuzuki on Steam:
http://steamcommunity.com/app/281130/discussions/0/618453594740966498/

Practically they all say the game is a disaster. I'm saying it's not.
And that'd be enough of my donquijoting.

Next game.

Back
Top Bottom