RPGWatch - Olderbytes Interview

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Welcome back everyone our next interview this week is with Olderbytes Charles Clerc. We talk about his lesson in game development , and his new game Swords and Sorcery.

Couchpotato: Welcome to RPGWatch to get started can you introduce yourself, and your studio Older Bytes for our new readers?

Charles: My name is Charles Clerc. 40 yrs old, French but I grew up in large part in the US - I’m not good in English because I was good at school ;) I just recently moved from Paris to southern France (Toulouse) due to family related issues. OlderBytes fits in my laptop so there was no problem there.

In its current state, OlderBytes exists since 2011, as a sort of micro-company. I am the only person involved as of now, but I sub-contract graphics to a small studio called Studio GFX, based in the Philippines.

I “exist” as a game creator since 2007, when I released the first version of Peregrine’s Song. It was a learning experience mostly. I built it while learning to program. Needless to say it didn’t do very well. There’s still a video…

I named the entity Classic Games Remade. Not so much because I liked how it sounds but as a SEO experiment. I wanted to see how well I could rank for the keyphrase “classic games”. While I succeeded somewhat by getting a first page ranking, organic traffic from that keyphrase didn’t convert so I later decided to go with a more brandable name.

My handle on this site dates back to CGR in case anyone was wondering what those letters stand for.
More information.

Last edited:
Nice read! I'm looking forward to the rework and eventual new game! :)

Daniel.

Thanks everyone. :)

Just to clear something up, Swords and Sorcery is the franchise name. Like Might and Magic.

Swords and Sorcery - Peregrine's Song
Swords and Sorcery - Underworld
Swords and Sorcery - Sovereign

Back to work :)

Charles, have you finetuned the game's balance since I completed it four years ago? I remember the overpowered rogue at the end with his bleed ability among other things.

It's been re-released so many times since... OMG four years :D

Yes that's been reviewed a couple times. Bleed is still there though, and still powerful.

See? This is why I'm a fan. How often do you see "overpowered" and "rogue" used together in the same sentence?

How about in BT 3- The Thief of Fate? His backstabbing was TOTALLY overpowered!! :)

Okay, we're up to twice :D I found the Thief class to be extremely overpowered in the game from Looking Glass. It seemed like if you didn't have a thief, you couldn't complete the game. Also, he had to be named Garrett.

Thanks for the interview ! I'm looking forward to Sovereign.

Charles, the last update on your site dates back to May 2014. I believe you should do more updates if you wish to keep people interested. Allez, un petit effort… ;)

Back
Top Bottom