RPGWatch - Dungeons of Aledorn Interview

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Welcome back everyone for another interview on RPGWatch. This time we talk with Ladislav Štojdl of Team 21, about his new kickstarter game Dungeons of Aledorn.

Couchpotato: What makes your game stand out from all the other RPG games nowadays?

Ladislav: I think predominantly, it’s the focus on Hard-Core players. Great opportunities equipping, great complexity of character development and possible action in the game makes the game very difficult for the inexperienced players. A system that an AAA game title cannot afford, its risk is too great. We also have several elements that are to our game unique, e.g. the transition between exploring mode into the combat environments use accurately model an environment where a conflict has occurred, rather than pre-defined battlegrounds, such as what’s used in the game King's Bounty, and Heroes of Might and Magic.
More information.

Last edited:
Enjoy everyone and I have three more interviews ready to be published.:)

1. Masquerada Interview
  2. Lords of Xulima Interview
  3. Modder Savant Interview

That is a lengthy interview! I liked :)

Good interview, Couch. I think you've found your calling. The more of these you do, the more you get known for doing them and the more likely the bigger and bigger houses will let you in.

As far as Aledorn goes, I backed this game because the developer came here and posted update after update long before the kickstarter was launched. To me, dropping $10-15 on the game is a no brainer. He included us from the beginning and should be rewarded for that. I hope all of the regulars here appreciate his effort and back his game; at least at the minimum to get a copy.

Good interview, Couch. I think you've found your calling. The more of these you do, the more you get known for doing them and the more likely the bigger and bigger houses will let you in.

As far as Aledorn goes, I backed this game because the developer came here and posted update after update long before the kickstarter was launched. To me, dropping $10-15 on the game is a no brainer. He included us from the beginning and should be rewarded for that. I hope all of the regulars here appreciate his effort and back his game; at least at the minimum to get a copy.

Ditto.

Someone always comes along and says it much better than I ever could have.

The inventory description was a little convoluted, but sounds interesting. I'd like to see it in action.

Great job Couch and Team 21!

Last edited:
Nice interview!

I am wondering though why Ladislav keeps mentioning Legend of Grimrock and Dungeon crawlers as they don’t seem to have anything in common.

Just some examples:
LoG does not have any story except of some small texts / DoA seems to have story, otherwise you would not be able to spoil anything
LoG has an action based combat system which does not involve any tactics (if you don’t consider cycling around the enemy as tactic) / DoA has a tactical turn based combat
LoG does not put any emhpasis on Character System or Inventory which are also rendered almost completely irrelevant due to the combat system / DoA puts a focus on inventory management and character system
LoG does not offer any quests / DoA is planned to have rather complex quest structures
LoG is a 15 hour game / DoA is planned to offer 50h+ of game time

And to get to Legend of Grimrocks strong side:

LoG offers a variety of logic puzzles / DoA mentions puzzles in one sentence on the KS campaign, but there seems to be no focus on that.

So I guess the similarities to LoG are so small that you could as well compare it with a racing game. One thing which is true of course, is that LoG showed that old game concepts which were believed to be dead these days still find a lot of fans.

One thing I'm wondering about is how Charisma can be an equally important attribute in a dungeon crawler, IOW how much RPG can there be in this game. But maybe they'll elaborate on that in an update.

Good interview !
Got me interested in the game even more.

One thing I'm wondering about is how Charisma can be an equally important attribute in a dungeon crawler, IOW how much RPG can there be in this game. But maybe they'll elaborate on that in an update.

It could just be that there are classes that depend on CHA just like other classes depend on STR and others depend on INT?

Kordanor: I would like to answer as to why I mention the LoG. It is because although DoA LoG are vastly different, both for me is a classic "dungeon", although it has different mechanics. And the reason is that I just really glad that this genre has once again enjoy and their players.
Nefarit

Back
Top Bottom