Dungeons Of Aledorn - Character Classes

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Team 21 talks about the character classes of Dungeons Of Aledorn in the next update on Kickstarter this week. The game has made $21,973 of the $60,000 goal.

Once you’ve chosen the race of your character, another important decision comes into play - what will they do? You may choose from six different character classes in DoA, which may even further specialize in two distinct manners; thus offering you more customization options and defining your preferred playing style.

Each class is characterised by eleven skills, from which two are always class specific. As player you will have a free choice, during the level-up phase, to choose which skill you should improve.
More information.

It bums me that a game that is nearly complete and looks good can't generate $60,000. This game is so much further along than most other kickstart projects, yet it is being ignored :(

I don't understand why these kickstarters don't try the impulse-driven approach. Give access to the basic game at 10$ - and adjust the higher tiers accordingly with extras.

Given the amount of shit in the works, people need an incentive to pledge - and a very cheap entry price could potentially take these small timers over the line.

This game does look really cool, and it looks like it could succeed where that Deathfire thing failed. I like its Realms of Arkania vibe…

I noticed two main terrain types in their intro video. Whiterun…then the pirate-y Risen-style Carribean tropics thing that's popular right now. I do hope they have plenty of traditional green medieval landscapes too. (I know, call me boring…)

I agree with Dart though. A lower entry fee could pull a lot of impulse backers in. I don't see all that many Kickstarters embracing that…

Last edited:
It bums me that a game that is nearly complete and looks good can't generate $60,000. This game is so much further along than most other kickstart projects, yet it is being ignored :(

I did make a comment days ago: I really think this game will be funded, but in the final days of its kickstarter. It is a game I thought out would be more easily, quickly funded. They need to get roughly $ 2,000/day to reach $ 60,000, but it is struggling by now...

I don't understand why these kickstarters don't try the impulse-driven approach. Give access to the basic game at 10$ - and adjust the higher tiers accordingly with extras.

Given the amount of shit in the works, people need an incentive to pledge - and a very cheap entry price could potentially take these small timers over the line.

If you want to argue that the early bird tier should be unlimited ok. But the cost for this was $9 early (limit 500), and $15 reg. It's hard to go much cheaper than that. I actually pledged $15 right away because to me $9 seems too cheap.

If you want to argue that the early bird tier should be unlimited ok. But the cost for this was $9 early (limit 500), and $15 reg. It's hard to go much cheaper than that. I actually pledged $15 right away because to me $9 seems too cheap.

I didn't know you got access to the full game for 9$ - but yeah, I think they should consider making it unlimited.

I think there's a large audience hungry for this kind of old-school game, but with the amount of kickstarters everywhere - there's just not enough money to go around.

Of course, I could be completely wrong - and people would probably show scepticism if a game did this "first" on Kickstarter.

They should have had enough early birds at $9 to get it to the goal, either that or not had any early birds just unlimited $9 pledges perhaps. This is a mistake many KS's make IMO.

Daniel.

Well I hope the game gets funded, but don't worry as the game will still be made with a few backup plans. They talked about this in our interview, and on the Codex.
RPGWatch: Will your funding goal of $60,000 be enough to cover all the costs of development?

Ladislav:
Yes, the lowest target will allow for us to finish the game at a bare bones level. The majority of the team are actually working on the project part time and the money would allow us to afford the opportunity to pour in more of our time. And would also, more or less, allow us to contract more freelancers. The previous two years we have financed all freelancers from our own resources, and the budget we ask for is wage for these freelancers (dubbing, graphical assets etc…) and for the studio. Please remember that wages in the Czech Republic are far less than in UK or USA. The tasks that we need to finish, before the game is done, are in majority of cases certain jobs of which does not generate continuous work for the contractors. What i am trying to say, is that we do not need to pay people on monthly basis and spend a lot of money on employees. All members of the team are paid task by task on the contract and that is making all game cheaper than you think.

Codex: Harsh reality question: Like all Kickstarters, there's a chance that the target goal won't be reached. What happens then?

Well, it would definitely not mean the death of the project. Of course, we have a plan B, and even a plan C.

In a variant of B, we can expect an investor to come on board - a third party. We have already been approached by several of them after our pre-campaign for Kickstarter. We have politely declined, stating that we first want to try our hands on crowdfunding to see whether players deem the game worthy of purchase.

Plan C is that we will continue from our own resources and capabilities. Even like this, we will finish the game, but we will have to remove some elements to make it easier to finish. It will also extend the development time of the game, as obviously we'll have to continue working on DoA whilst working full time to support the project.​

Because some games are early alpha, and would give a bad initial impression. Gameplay videos are best, and perhaps a short thirty minute demo, if you are a new studio and have funding.

This game does look really cool, and it looks like it could succeed where that Deathfire thing failed. I like its Realms of Arkania vibe…

I noticed two main terrain types in their intro video. Whiterun…then the pirate-y Risen-style Carribean tropics thing that's popular right now. I do hope they have plenty of traditional green medieval landscapes too. (I know, call me boring…)

I agree with Dart though. A lower entry fee could pull a lot of impulse backers in. I don't see all that many Kickstarters embracing that…

They already quoted Betrayal at Krondor and Shadows over Riva as influences. Reminds me of Dark Heart of Uukrul, and the old SSI games, along with Realms of Arkania, except with better physics, and environmental physics are interactive in first-person; as well as third person, cover-based gameplay, and deformable environment. Complete with that sand-box, emergent design that LGS and Elder Scrolls pioneered, such as harvesting materials in first person, interacting with object physics, and skill-checks, puzzles, secret doors, deadly traps, illusions, and more... Etc.

I also prefer hexes. Squares do not give a terrain advantage. The value of being able to position, break barrels, and provide your own cover, as well as toss them at opponents, in isometric hex-based combat. This is a mild cover cost for what could be a groundbreaking RPG, combining interactive physics, puzzle solving, crafting, harvesting, and survival mechanics, ala Underworld or Elder Scrolls, with the top-down turn-based view of Fallout 1 & 2 or any Tactics game that used hexes over squares, allowing attacks from 90 degree angles, complete with skill points, puzzles, traps, etc, that make for a great RPG. All the best wrapped into one!

Positioning your own cover is crucial, but then again, so is the cover mechanic, the ability to break barrels, and position yourself in combat, as well as having a fully interactive environment, complete with perception-based skills that see through persistent illusions, puzzles, traps, locks, and secret doors. $60,000 is almost too cheap for a game of this type. It is groundbreaking.

Both in first-and-third person perspectives. Not only the environmental physics, but the appeal to retro-hardcore, rather than dumbing down. The environmental physics alone would have sold me; or even that it is first-person, mixed with third-person, tactical combat; or that is pushes both boundaries, the first-and-the-third perspective. We'll see how this turns out.

I am almost glad Seven Dragons got cancelled, as we'll see it again soon, but it may draw more attention to Dungeons of Aledorn, which needs sufficient funds to produce a game which pushes so many elements, complete with so many new ideas, just from reading updates.

Voidwalker.

Because some games are early alpha, and would give a bad initial impression. Gameplay videos are best, and perhaps a short thirty minute demo, if you are a new studio and have funding.

I'm not sure what that has to do with the entry fee for the game. In fact, it seems to support a lower price.

Back
Top Bottom