Jade Empire - BioWare Talks About Sequel

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
In-case you missed the Q&A on Kotaku last week then you didn't read the part where General Manager Aaryn Flynn talked about a possible Jade Empire sequel.

Thanks go to Gamer Center Online for the news.

Although a sequel isn’t in development, BioWare states that fans should “never say never” when it comes to returning to the Jade Empire universe.

“Well there’s always hope,” BioWare Edmonton and Montreal general manager Aaryn Flynn said in a Q&A with Kotaku. “Both [BioWare developers Mark Darrah and Mike Laidlaw] worked on Jade Empire, so they’re advocates for it in the studio (so is Matt Goldman, DAI’s Art Director). I worked on it too!”

“Our plate is awfully full right now, but the idea to go back to the universe does come up pretty regularly,” he added. “Mark and I spent a solid two hours in my office talking about it not long ago…”

Darrah even added that fans should “never say never, but no current plans.” Jade Empire launched ten years ago on the original Xbox.
More information.

Last edited:
Noone commented?

I'm not even sure why anyone asked Bioware about this. It's plain obvious for years Bioware is heavily conncentrated into bloody (one cancelled) MMO and generally multiplayer part of singleplayer games. JE2 would have to include multiplayer crapware and it'd look too much like Acclaim's 9 Dragons (a certain "old" MMO, not some recent seven or nine or whatnot number dragons saga avoidware!) and people would simply compare them - where 9 Dragons would probably win any argument.

We'll see JE2 the moment EA CEO decides that next Bioware game mustn't have multiplayer mode. That very moment we'll probably see a Bioware game that finally deserves 10/10.

I never played the first game, is it any good ?
Are the PC controls comfortable and how is the combat ?

Good is subjective but I personally love it and it has good plot twists (if you are unspoiled, stay unspoiled). Note, it is kind of super-cheesy for certain things and it has KoTOR light/dark meter (called way of the open palm and closed fist) as well.

Gameplay wise, it's basically a beat'em up and the PC controls aren't that bad, but it was clearly made for gamepad and consoles. Also, character creation is rather limited.

Noone commented?
We'll see JE2 the moment EA CEO decides that next Bioware game mustn't have multiplayer mode. That very moment we'll probably see a Bioware game that finally deserves 10/10.
We already seen it, it is called Baldur's gate 2.

Buy, play.
I played it on PC of course, controls were irrelevant as was the combat. Nothing was complicated or ported badly from what I remember… Years passed and all I remember is supereasy combat wins and a story I liked.
Maybe I should replay it. Can't do that this year though, too many new games being released.

It has alot of zone loading, takes me out of the immerison, I only played it halfway before forgetting it ever existed. Might be not your cup of tea, but perferred by others.

They are too busy making ass effect 4 a less rpg then it's predecessors.
That is very hard and would only be possible if they decide to make their games like Tell Tale now.

some small resources updating the old game would be a better effort in my opinion.

Color me intrigued. I liked JE 1 very much.

They talked about it? Great. Maybe it would be better to decide something and not just talk - before announcing it to the world? :)

There is not enough games with this sort of medieval chinese setting. For all the flaws of the first game I'd gladly play another JE.

I loved Jade Empire back on the XBOX when it first came out. I hope they do a sequel :)

Great setting (unchartered by many rpg developers), but the dialogue was childish and boring and killed it for me - so stopped playing after about 13 hours.

Just let this lie. This cheesy, unmemorable "fantasy magic Kung fu" with all the usual BioWare tropes was never that good.

They are too busy making ass effect 4 a less rpg then it's predecessors.

Cute, worked on that all day huh?

They talked about it? Great. Maybe it would be better to decide something and not just talk - before announcing it to the world? :)

Perhaps this a probe to gauge the amount of interest?

I won't say what type of probe; use your imagination...

Back
Top Bottom