Serpent in the Staglands - Character Creation

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Staff member Fluent released a new thirteen minute video preview for Serpent in the Staglands that gives everyone a look at how the game handles Character Creation.

Hello everyone! Thanks for tuning in. Today, we take a look at the character creation for the old-school, "hardcore" RPG, Serpent in the Staglands!

The game is an isometric RPG currently in beta, and it's been created by Whalenought Studios, thanks to a successful Kickstarter campaign. In the game, you create a character or an entire party if you like, and you go about your adventure. You are a Moon God trapped in mortal form, and the choice of which mortal body you want to inhabit is up to you. You have to figure out how to return to your moon, and you will encounter companions along the way to help you.

So, we will look at the character creation in the game. Stay tuned for more videos coming soon that will showcase more aspects of the game.
More information.

Last edited:
Thanks for this, Fluent! I was actually foggy on this one...what it was, what it looked like, what it was about. Your video was a big help. :)

Thanks so much for creating a preview video Fluent! Excited to hear how your beta adventure goes!

Really appreciate the help with exposure and getting feedback. Let us know if you have any questions!

Welcome to our site Joe. :party:

Allow me to say I enjoyed the two video interviews on Mat Chat this month. I was wondering if you have a planned release date for the game on Steam yet?

Cheers!

Thank you! It was a lot of fun being on Matt's show, we're avid watchers ourselves so it was quite exciting for us.

The release date for the DRM-free version and distributors will be simultaneous, and we'll be announcing that (officially) in our next Kickstarter update, which will be quite soon!

Cheers!

Thank you! It was a lot of fun being on Matt's show, we're avid watchers ourselves so it was quite exciting for us.

The release date for the DRM-free version and distributors will be simultaneous, and we'll be announcing that (officially) in our next Kickstarter update, which will be quite soon!
Thanks for the reply Joe I can't wait to play your game.:handshake:

I just hope the puzzles you talked about on the show are not to hard to solve.

Cant wait to play this game. Perhaps nostalgic perhaps not but this vid makes me want it to play this year.

I just hope the puzzles you talked about on the show are not to hard to solve.

It's certainly not Riven, though the narrative structure through puzzles could be somewhat similar. A lot of the game can be very simple, mechanically and tactically, once you get your bearings, but the puzzles can be tricky if unprepared.

Our goal for the puzzles in Serpent was making sure they all served a logical, original purpose that you are reconstructing, which can be the tricky part. However you're often able to use Aptitudes and specific spells to help or complete them, and in some cases certain companions could give you some insight if it's in their field.

We also have simpler ones, like fun takes on classic SSI weight puzzles, making chalk rubbings on murals to get codes, or utilizing specific items to kill enemies otherwise invincible. There's a fun nod to the "mists of Barovia" as well!

I'd guess the overall challenge of the game is something comparable to mid-90s CRPGS, which is what we were striving for and what our backers wanted. Excited to give players that experience again!

Thanks for the reply again it got me more interested in your game. I hope your game sells well Joe as it seems were in a another Golden Age of RPGs.:celebrate:

Also did anyone solve the language puzzle at the end of your last preview video from last Month? I remember being curious what the message was at the end.o_O

Link - http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27898

I believe some folks have, judging by some estimated release dates I've seen swirling around. Old Ameythevian must be an easy language to read!

Thanks Fluent, it's nice to see some more videos of this game on the tube. Can't wait to play it.

Nice video Fluent, can't wait to see you play some more of the beta.

You are all VERY welcome! I'm glad to be of service. :) :party:

Okay, so, more videos will be coming later today. I've played a bit to get my feet wet and learn the ropes, perused the manual a bit and hopefully can make it out of the first area alive this time! I will try to capture that on camera, heh.

I'm having a lot of fun with it so far, though. It's certainly a unique RPG experience thus far!

Back to the manual I go. :D

P.S. Nice to see you on the site, Joe! I think you and Hannah are creating something very special here. I'll send you more feedback when I can! :)

Remember, if you guys really enjoy the content I make, which includes YouTube videos as well as written articles here on the 'Watch, then please, please, PLEASE consider becoming a Patron of mine on Patreon!

http://www.patreon.com/fluent

For a donation of $10 or more per month, you would be helping fund a creative mind who wants to make videos and articles for RPGs full-time! In order to do that, I need help from the people who enjoy my content. Who better to support me than the fans of my work? :)

You would be helping to fund the ultimate RPG nerd in his endeavors! :D

I hope you'll all consider doing that. Cheers! :) :party:

Great job with the video Fluent. I'm excited to see more of this game. It looks like it has a lot of potential.

Thank You for this video. Looks like one more game for me to play, hopefully in close future

You're welcome, Radorin! :) :party:

The game definitely has potential. I need to play more past the starting area, but I've been overloaded with games lately! Hopefully I can play more, but would you guys like to see me play on camera and explore the next area in the game? :thinking: Let me know!

Back
Top Bottom