Spiderweb Software - Interview @ Venturebeat

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Heather Newman of Venturebeat got in contact with Jeff Vogel of Spiderweb Software to talk about why he stopped developing his games for the iOS platform.

GamesBeat: You’ve been developing for iOS for a while. Why stop now?

Jeff Vogel: So the most important thing to realize about Apple products is that they are designed to become obsolete fairly quickly. Apple engineers constantly change up the hardware and software. In my repeated experience, any device more than a few years old loses the ability to run the new operating systems.

Programming for Apple devices has, for the 20 years I’ve been doing it, been a continuous hassle. Apple constantly makes the old code obsolete, forcing programmers to relearn and revise everything constantly. Sometimes, these changes lead to better devices and software. Other times, it’s just obnoxiousness with no gain for developers or users. It’s just something you learn to live with, until you give up.

And Apple doesn’t care. Why should they? In 2014, 500 games came out on iTunes a day. A day. I suspect that Apple would be ecstatic if 90 percent of game developers disappeared overnight. See also: Steam.

Apple is merciful in one way, though. Usually, when they make a huge change in how their devices are programmed, they let the old code work for a few years to help developers keep up. The problem with Avernum 2 HD is that this didn’t happen this time.
More information.

So no comments once again?:eek:

Well I'm glad to see Jeff share more information about his decision.

Jeff, as usual, seems to make a completely reasonable point. I don't have much to add.

Just read it. Hold on to your horses, Couch! I've been VERY busy. :)

Also, this is why Apple will never compete with PCs as a gaming platform. I have tons of old Apple software that won't run at all. Software of the same age on Windows still works most of the time, and with enough patience for compatibility / Directx settings, or configuring DOSBox.

Last edited:
Wow! This just bolsters my theory that most people think the past = trash. :lol:

Jeff is a smart guy. I would never devote my time to a platform that constantly changes and leaves the old stuff in the dust. Imagine having a PC and not being able to play the older games! Okay, well, sometimes there are issues, but we usually fight through that and eventually, through a miracle sometimes, we get to play the classics. :)

I'm bored with spiderweb games....you can only buy a different version of the same game so many times.

I even wonder if it makes commercial sense for him to keep making games for the Mac. He is a huge Apple fanboy, and this is why he has put up with Apple's bigheaded decisions so far.

This is why I decided to buy no more Apple devices, except maybe at some point a cheap iPod touch if there are a few apps I really want. At any point there could be an update that could break your older apps/games and you are stuck since you have no control over your own devices.

Thanks for the Spiderweb news related posts, Couch - don't ever feel they're not appreciated, because I always check them out when I can. :)

I completed Avernum 2: Crystal Souls a couple of weeks ago and have been meaning to post some more in depth thoughts. I enjoyed the story and overall experience a good deal actually; particularly after Part IV when the player is thrown back into the open-world of Avernum after returning from the Vahnatai lands. I love that feeling of being overwhelmed by quests and the possibilities within the nooks and crannies of the world for exploration. I also think the boat-water exploration is fantastic in this game; very reminiscent of my experiences with Ultima IV-V, which the game shows some influences from.

I went with a pretty traditional Solider-Archery oriented Rogue-Hedge-Wizard (leaning more on the Priest side) and a Mage. Whilst the combat became decidedly less challenging in parts compared to my time with the Avadons and Escape from the Pit, I think the narrative was stronger in bursts than in the first game (especially during the more linear Vahnatai section) The loading screen art is also both striking and evocative.
I look forward to both Avadon 3 and possibly a future reworking of Avernum 3 to complete the trilogy!

Doesn't look liKe a fanboy to me, from what he says iN the iNterviEw. And i suspect he's too much of a busiNess man to develop for a platform iF he diDn't make money on iT.

piBbur who iS quiTe happy wiTh hiS iPhone and iPad, but who won't replace hiS pc's wiTh apples.

It seems like he is on a crusade to make sure EVERYONE knows what he is doing, I mean I saw it in FOUR places today alone - this one, GamePolitics, and a couple of others.

I also noticed that he has softened the *easily debunked* technical reasoning he initially gave and gone to more generic 'this is just how Apple is ... PLEASE sympathize with me'.

It seems like this is more of a strategic business move - he was clearly not getting anywhere with mobile, so if he can make a very public tantrum and pull a ready-to-go game, he hopes to get some added PC business from anti-Apple sentiment.

It is his business to do what he wants ... but I call bullshit on the entire thing.

Back
Top Bottom