Larian Studios - Interview with Swen

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
9Lives talk to SwenVincke about Larian Studios, that they risked the entire company during the development of Divinity Original Sin, which they also did during the development of Divinity 2 and about the plans to release a major RPG every year.

The interview is in Dutch, which isn't a problem for me, but for those who don't master this language, there is always Google Translate.

The following is made with Myrthos Translate ©:

Meanwhile Larian works, in its three offices, on new games. The nine people who Vincke recruited at present in Quebec City are working on a brand new RPG. "In the longer term we want to create a model in which we develop several games at the same time," said Vincke. "Launching a major RPG every year: That's what we are aiming at. That is also the reason why we have started those new offices. The talent that is needed to do that is there. In Quebec we have a very cool team, with four former leads of very big games. They are going to work together with the teams in Ghent and Russia, to make beautiful things. It could go wrong, but we're on the right track."
More information.

So which 4 leads are these? Any guesses?

Okay, so that's Larian Quebec.
Any plans on opening Larian Montreal office? IMO almost all the biggest gamedev talents are concentrated there.

Okay, so that's Larian Quebec.
Any plans on opening Larian Montreal office? IMO almost all the biggest gamedev talents are concentrated there.

There are a few gaming studios in Québec City including a large one of Ubisoft* (300+ people). The city is also at 2.5 hours car distance from Montréal, a lots of gamedev won't mind moving to Québec City if there is work (especially with Montréal becoming a cluster of road construction in the near future). Rent cost in Québec City is lower then Montréal as well.

*Currently working on Assassin Creed Syndicate as the lead studio.

I only hope that it`s not too ambitious. I love Larian and every one of their creations. It would be real shame if they were gone. So I keep my fingers crossed hard :)

Swen seems like he is an awesome boss. I bet Larian is one of the most fun places for game programmers to work.

*Currently working on Assassin Creed Syndicate as the lead studio.
Seems that Ubisoft has a studio just about everywhere…

Anyway, after AC:Unity debacle, no wonder the lead studio for next AC game isn't Ubi Montreal.

Back
Top Bottom