Serpent in the Staglands - Review @ RageQuit

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
The Greek site RageQuit has reviewed Serpent in the Staglands (Google Translation) - some snippets:
The Serpent in the Staglands places us in the fantasy world of Vol borrowed several elements from Transylvania Middle Ages. We take the role of a god named Necholai, who decides to take mortal form and participate in the celebrations of mortals for moonlit festival. But when it comes time to return to the world of the gods, an insurmountable wall magic prevents the passage through the portal he had created. Our ally is the Erlein, the priest of the temple (dedicated to us please!) Where we are, and also the only one who knows our real existence. After our evacuation and proposes some loyal allies leaves us with our mortal form on a trip to Staglands for the discovery of truth. As a simple trader and a fragile body, stranger among strangers, we begin an adventure with no return …

(…)

Initially it will create a special impression lack log and quest book that recorded information and quests. Instead we have available at any time a journal in which you can make notes. The game leaves us completely alone. He takes us by the hand to show us who NPC gave us the quest, we should go and what we must do. You will find notes, maps with directions, hidden messages … from there but the search and finding the next step is purely our own case. The journal (or even better a piece of paper and a pencil!) Will become our second nature. It may sound unreal perhaps even "primitive" - ​​especially for the younger players, but personally loved this particular mechanism.

The "deficiencies" does not end here. In the Serpent in the Staglands there is neither map (okay laddie gamer who melt in your computer with the Witcher and Dragon Age, you can stop here reading this article). In the areas we move the party we simply can not do a rudimentary zoom while moving from one area to another is through the world map by click on the numbered square that desire. Naturally these numbered squares do not know what because the corresponding map has names and suggestions. The information we acquire are and our unique compass: Corem learn that the city is in the south but not to what the map is square. Then we find a treasure map with a huge X bit further north from Corem. We estimate about falling and begin exploring. The feel of a real open game world was never, ever as unique as here.

(…)

The game is huge and requires full dedication and use of information that we discover. Every new place we visit which has something to offer: a new enemy, an original object, a special NPC to hire our team. There is no right or wrong way to play the Serpent in the Staglands. Even the "special" building a character will never bring us to a dead end since there are more than one solutions to address situations and obstacles. Can we pull enemies into the city to help us battle the guards (with the risk of dying forever unlucky various NPCs … death is permanent in the world of Vol!), Kill characters that appear to us suspects discovering strange notes on their corpses to place traps, play gambling winning money, take part in competitions between guilds … the Serpent in the Staglands offers a wonderful and free world to move and act! I can write tens of hours or more small details I discovered the game during my involvement with it. To mention enemies brought very smart diving into holes to occur later in other, neighboring or strange prostitutes I met in a brothel and asked to pay for their freedom in return offer the exceptional rogue-like abilities? Every corner of the Serpent in the Staglands hides secrets you discover and difficult decisions that need will receive. For every decision, however there is the implication … do not forget it ever!

(…)

Final Score
: 90/100

Good:
  • Huge, magical and truly open world.
  • Long duration.
  • Excellent rule system in the development of the characters, the magic and combat.
  • Real hardcore old school RPG …

Bad:
  • … That automatically means that younger players should stay away!
  • Several bugs (thankfully corrected very soon).

More information.

I bought this one, but still have to play it.

The writing in the above snippet is just atrocious. I suppose that comes from a Google translation? I think I'll skip the rest.

It's Google translated - it's a good read with a little improvisation.

Superb game, deserved the score

I hope to finish it sooner than later and give my full take on it as well :)
But it is going slow at the moment and I ran into new bugs that slowed me down (I reported those to them and hopefully they fix it).

I gave up on it because of eye strain. There looks to be a deep game hidden in the atrocious graphics, but I just couldn't handle the blurry textures. My eyes keep trying to bring the image into focus and it gave me a headache. I think that the game will be decent for younger eyes. I have really horrible eyesight and even glasses don't take me to 20/20.

The site in question (ragequit) is one of the best review sites on net for me but the language barrier (greek) limits its visibility from outside the greek speaking world.

I believe, the site constructed when the whole editorial staff rage quit (therefore the name of their website) from a historical greek magazine called PC Master (in the vein of Computer Gaming World of old) in the middle of the crisis three-four years ago.

Back
Top Bottom