Lord of the Rings Online - A Trip Through the Trollshaws

D

Deleted User

Hey folks!
smiley-laughing.gif

In this new Fluent's World video, I take a leisurely trip through the Trollshaws in the game Lord of the Rings Online and continue to work on my Speechcraft skills! Best of all, the video has been recorded in glorious 4K resolution on the highest graphical settings, so details are crisp.

Check it out!

Hey everyone! In this fun little video I take a look at Rivendell and take a trip through the legendary Trollshaws in the online RPG, Lord of the Rings Online! I talk a bit about what makes the game interesting and my time spent with it, and show off a bit of the Trollshaws and the road to the Lone-Lands!

If you'd like to see more videos like this, please let me know in the comments section! I can showcase various aspects of the game, like showing off different zones, places to find quests, tips & tricks and more.
Enjoy!
smiley-smile.gif

More information.

I'm sorry Fluent, but this was bad. First, the content isn't new so it is unclear why you are even making the video. Second, you take too long to get to interesting points. I'd recommend writing an actual script or doing 3 takes and working on your flow.

Thirdly, saying LotRO is a gorgeous game...um, let's get real. It came out in 2007. It is old and looks very old. And are you making a joke about TES because TES did make an MMO you know, and it looks so vastly superior to LotRO visually.

Fourthly, I know you're trying to promote yourself, but things like 4K are worthless when putting videos on YouTube. All the detail is compressed anyway, so nobody at 1080p will ever see a difference. I literally wondered if you were mocking the game when saying it looks so good. No it doesn't.

Sixthly, to sum up, you need to ask yourself what your video offers. What are you giving me that others aren't? You gave me a fly-through of a very average looking forest...that has been out for years.

I'm not trying to be mean, but you did ask for feedback. Most people will click away after 1 minute of a boring video intro. You need to have something big and interesting right away to get people to stay.

Your video was painful to watch. That's me being honest. I hope this feedback helps.

Beautiful Fluent, thanks for that. I really should try lotro sometime. :)

You're welcome! =)

It's a very fun and immersive game. As I said in the video, I played for over 300 hours, mostly single-player style, and definitely got my moneys worth.

If you do give it a shot, try it for a bit free, and then don't hesitate to do a full subscription for a month or 2 (or more if you really want to stick around). There is so much good content in the game that will keep you satisfied for a long time. =)

I'm sorry Fluent, but this was bad. First, the content isn't new so it is unclear why you are even making the video.

Which content isn't new? The Trollshaws? Does something have to be new to make a video of it?

Second, you take too long to get to interesting points. I'd recommend writing an actual script or doing 3 takes and working on your flow.

The video is 14 minutes long. That's pretty short. If you want someone talking like they are on speed and rushing through things, well, that's not me. There are PLENTY of YouTubers out there who will fit that bill if that's your thing. I know because I've watched videos from other creators as well. =)

Thirdly, saying LotRO is a gorgeous game…um, let's get real. It came out in 2007. It is old and looks very old. And are you making a joke about TES because TES did make an MMO you know, and it looks so vastly superior to LotRO visually.

I was saying that TES should make a single player game similar to how LOTRO is built, i.e. with many huge zones to explore, a much more vast open world, etc.

ESO doesn't have the view distance of LOTRO. The view distance adds a lot to the game and increases its sense of vastness and hugeness. Second, I am playing the game in 4K on a 48" 4K UHD TV, I think I know if the game looks gorgeous or not. News flash - it does. At least, in my opinion. =)

Fourthly, I know you're trying to promote yourself, but things like 4K are worthless when putting videos on YouTube. All the detail is compressed anyway, so nobody at 1080p will ever see a difference. I literally wondered if you were mocking the game when saying it looks so good. No it doesn't.

Actually, this is simply not true. Video recorded at 4K is down-sampled to 1080p and the 1080p footage is *better* looking than footage captured at native 1080p. Plus, YouTube has plenty of high quality 4K videos, mine included, which are shot at 2160p60, the highest possible resolution for YouTube, and captured at 50,000 kbps bitrate, which is NOT compressed by YouTube. I upload 20 GB videos to YouTube all the time as they suggest 4K videos to be captured and encoded at 50,000 bitrate. Normal 1080p bitrate is 7000 to 8000, for a comparison.

Sixthly, to sum up, you need to ask yourself what your video offers. What are you giving me that others aren't? You gave me a fly-through of a very average looking forest…that has been out for years.

The video offers my thoughts on the game and why you should check it out, as well as shows off some of the sense of scale of the game world, some beauties of the Trollshaws and a quick little leisurely chat that some may enjoy. That much is apparent to anyone, so I'm not sure if you're simply trolling me on this point here.

I'm not trying to be mean, but you did ask for feedback. Most people will click away after 1 minute of a boring video intro. You need to have something big and interesting right away to get people to stay.

I will check the statistics in a few weeks for the video and see when people clicked off. I will also continue to increase the quality of my videos as best I can. I need a nice little intro with some theme music, I know this. =)

Your video was painful to watch. That's me being honest. I hope this feedback helps.

Thank you for the feedback! Responses are in bold. I suggest you all check them out. =)

I was always curious about this game. Not an mmo fan at all so stayed away. Does this have enough fun single player elements to play even if you don't like MMOs?

I tried this 2x and just couldn't get into it. I even tried not doing any of the fed ex quests and still found it too tedious.

Stick with the epic quest line. It's quite good. I've played the game quite a bit and have a level 100 and a few alts. The Trollshaws is an below average area. Many others are better imo. Moria they did an excellent job on, it's my favorite one by far.

I was always curious about this game. Not an mmo fan at all so stayed away. Does this have enough fun single player elements to play even if you don't like MMOs?

I played it 2x mostly as a single player game. There is plenty to do solo and the main quest you do by yourself.

Yes! It has tons of single player elements. I played for over 300 hours and did so mostly single player. The multiplayer stuff is basically optional and rewarding for those who choose to do it. You can basically be as social as you'd like or not-so-social, it's up to you.

My suggestion is to play solo for awhile, but eventually join a friendly kinship. Then, when you want to do, say, a fellowship quest in the Trollshaws, you will have people who will help you and join your party. Again, it's up to you.

Stick with the epic quest line. It's quite good. I've played the game quite a bit and have a level 100 and a few alts. The Trollshaws is an below average area. Many others are better imo. Moria they did an excellent job on, it's my favorite one by far.

The Trollshaws is *not* below average in terms of world design and beauty. =) But I will admit that back when I played, there weren't many quests to find there and it wasn't as Easy Street as Evendim was, where you could easily put on 10 levels and be on your merry way. But in the Trollshaws, you had to work for the content a bit more, and it was rewarding doing so. A very fun but challenging zone, imo.

Moria, I agree, is excellent. So much atmosphere in that zone. Absolutely amazing. I loaded up LOTRO and my level 55 Ranger/Hunter was still in Moria. I rode my trusty mountain goat around a bit and was amazed by some of the locations, all in glorious 4K which added to things quite a bit. Really a beautifully immersive area.

The game is very impressive. I think you guys will like it.

Thank you for the feedback! Responses are in bold. I suggest you all check them out. =)

Respect to you for reading my feedback and responding. I realize I came across very negative, but I hope some of my feedback helps. Or as you note, perhaps I'm wrong and people do want this content. I'm no expert.

Anyway, I enjoyed my trial period of LotRO ages ago when I tried it…but having recently bought TESO for $12 (because I'm a sucker for worlds to explore combined with garbage MMO stuff, eh eh), I have to say TESO blows LotRO away visually. But obviously a 2013 game looks better than a 2007 one.

That much is apparent to anyone, so I'm not sure if you're simply trolling me on this point here.
I wasn't trolling. Truth is I stopped 5 minutes in…because I was confused as to how a 2007 graphics forest was supposed to impress me. Being totally frank.

Anyway, best wishes on the videos, which I probably should have said originally. I just don't think they are proper news posts at all, which is pretty obvious. But I don't blame you for using connections to post content. That's smart.

I just don't think they are proper news posts at all, which is pretty obvious. But I don't blame you for using connections to post content. That's smart.

Well, that's your opinion. I happen to think my content has value and can be posted as news since it is obviously RPG-related and sparks discussion about RPG gaming.

The news here is that LOTRO is a great game worth spending time with, and I give direct evidence of that in this video, in the form of an off-the-top leisurely chat about the game while showing some of it off in 4K.

Also, being a team member here I am afforded the opportunity to interpret what I feel is newsworthy and post what I want, my videos included. If you don't wish to see the content that I post, then I suggest skipping every news post that comes from me. =)

Anyway, I enjoyed my trial period of LotRO ages ago when I tried it…but having recently bought TESO for $12 (because I'm a sucker for worlds to explore combined with garbage MMO stuff, eh eh), I have to say TESO blows LotRO away visually. But obviously a 2013 game looks better than a 2007 one.

I wasn't trolling. Truth is I stopped 5 minutes in…because I was confused as to how a 2007 graphics forest was supposed to impress me. Being totally frank.

It may be that he considers the 'art style' better in LOTRO than TESO. Sure TESO has better graphics technically, but perhaps he prefers the more saturated style of LOTRO? I do, although I haven't played LOTRO and TESO since their respective betas so I can't really say, may be just my perception of how things looked in both.

It may be that he considers the 'art style' better in LOTRO than TESO. Sure TESO has better graphics technically, but perhaps he prefers the more saturated style of LOTRO? I do, although I haven't played LOTRO and TESO since their respective betas so I can't really say, may be just my perception of how things looked in both.

I prefer the look of LOTRO to ESO, but I haven't played ESO in 4K yet. LOTRO has a very immersive and natural art design with enhanced view distance that makes it feel huge and epic. I also prefer the world building style of LOTRO and of course, in 4K with proper 4K support as LOTRO has, it looks beautiful on my 48" UHD TV. =)

Best art style for me in an MMO has been w/Guild Wars 1. Some lovely vistas there that you just stumble upon.

Well, that's your opinion. I happen to think my content has value and can be posted as news since it is obviously RPG-related and sparks discussion about RPG gaming.

Well said. I apologize if I was too harsh sounding. I value the site and don't mind your posts. I gave my video feedback, so now I'll be nice and thank you for it! Your post did help remind me LotRO exists, which I did sort of forget about!

Anyway, again I appreciate all the effort you put into all this. I don't want to just give negative feedback. Thanks for being really open to discuss this.

I prefer the look of LOTRO to ESO, but I haven't played ESO in 4K yet.
To each their own. Art is subjective of course. I really enjoy ESO's art, though. They did a great job crafting many of the locations. Too bad the gameplay is … not Skyrim.

I tried this one along with several mmo's, and none came close to capturing how much I enjoy both EQ 1 and EQ 2. Those are the two I always find myself going back to, although LoTR lasted 2 weeks for me, only Vanguard surpassed that in the sheer length of time that I stuck with it. Warcraft lasted me all of five days, way too simplistic for me.

Carnifex, you should go download the alpha version of Project: Gorgon. I have a feeling you will really like it. I played a few hours last night and it's definitely an Asheron's Call/Everquest feel to it.

I thought about testing Gorgon but I've sponsored their kickstarter and wouldn't want to ruin the experience when it is released. It sure looks nice, I'm pretty sure I'll get at least my money's worth!!!

I think you will. It's supposed to be a huge game and the first map alone is rather large. And of course, there are endless amounts of skills to learn in the game, secrets to find and toys to play with. Very fun game thus far.

Back
Top Bottom