Satellite Reign - Reviews

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
Here are a few reviews for Satelite Reign.

PC Gamer, 8

These are issues that haunt every moment of play, but otherwise, Satellite Reign is one of the most enjoyable small-squad strategy games I’ve played in a long time. I love how it blends tactical combat with an open-world structure and Deus Ex-inspired freedom. Creeping through a heavily defended enemy base unseen is a thrill, and if things go awry, there are lots of combat options to experiment with. Messing up is never a bad thing, because adapting and surviving is so much fun. Then you slip back into the darkness of those rain-lashed streets until the heat dies down, and you search the map for the next bank, military facility, or police station to hit.
Kotaku, A Yes

A lot has changed since Syndicate was released, and I’m glad Satellite Reign’s designers had the sense to change with the times. Cyberpunk cityscapes and cyborg agents were all well and good in 1993, but 2015 needed something a little slower and a little smarter.
Mouse N Joypad, 8.1

Satellite Reign is one of the best RTS titles I have ever played. Although there were some slightly annoying errors and glitches present, it hadn't affected my experience enough to seriously hinder gameplay or the game's brilliant atmosphere. The open world, rain, neon city, multiple ways of infiltration, variety of skill trees and load outs, and let's not forget the killer soundtrack makes Satellite Reign a must play for every hardcore gamer.
Starburst, 9

All in all 5 Lives have done a superb job and set a template for how you should approach updating a classic. The love for the title is clear to see and the team should pat themselves on the back for a job well done. If you liked Syndicate or Syndicate Wars, this is a must for you - and if you didn't, well it's time to join the future.
VGU, 3/5

In most games which require a lot of stealth, being in complete control of your character is absolutely paramount when one wrong move can mean you effectively fail the mission. So, imagine the absolute frustration when you have to control 4 characters in real time who often don’t go the way you commanded and stumble into a guard patrol and get gunned down in a matter of seconds, booting you back to the start of the Compound. Combine that with the lack of an ability to save in a Compound and that even if you do save, loading that save back up teleports you back to the nearest Relay Beacon rather than having you appear exactly where you saved and you have a recipe for computers flying out windows. Now, this could be easily fixed if combat was turn-based like XCOM or Shadowrun, meaning that even if you did fluff a movement command, it didn’t mean instant death or if there was a live pause feature like in Dragon Age, where you could pause action and issue attack or movement commands to be enacted when you unpause. These would go a hell of a long way to reduce the frustration of Satellite Reign’s combat but at the moment, it never feels like you are ever really in control while playing.

More information.

Real time exactly like Syndicate means I'm out. The only reason why I didn't play it for long no matter how much I liked what did see was my real time multiple-unit-control incompetence caused my units to die just as VGU described

Real time exactly like Syndicate means I'm out. The only reason why I didn't play it for long no matter how much I liked what did see was my real time multiple-unit-control incompetence caused my units to die just as VGU described

Same here. Put in active pause, and I'd buy it.

Played it for a bit yesterday, and I'm pretty happy with it. It's open and flexible and it looks very good.

It's still a bit glitchy and somewhat awkward in terms of controls, so the wise thing would probably be to wait a few months for polish.

But the heart is in place, and that's the most important thing :)

I just discovered the lead behind Satellite Reign, besides being the lead on Syndicate Wars, and a former member of the Bullfrog team (both bits of info I knew from the Kickstarter campaign), was also one of the owners of Mucky Foot Productions, the team behind Startopia and Urban Chaos.

I'm hoping this new venture works out better commercially for them, since Mucky Foot showed a lot of promise.

I must be the only one who didn't care for Syndicate Wars. I thought it was a neat engine, but I didn't care for the actual game. The original Syndicate was much better, in my opinion.

I must be the only one who didn't care for Syndicate Wars. I thought it was a neat engine, but I didn't care for the actual game. The original Syndicate was much better, in my opinion.
I also preferred Syndicate. Sometimes, thinks work better when you keep it simple.
Syndicate Wars provided a "flashier" presentation, and looked to add some things in terms of gameplay, but I found this changes to take some of the fun out of the game.

It's a bit like the X-Com series, and the comparison between X-COM: Apocalypse and UFO: Enemy Unknown (aka X-COM: UFO Defense). X-COM: Apocalypse added many things, and tried to make the gameplay more "deep", but I find the first game to be much more fun to play.

I've played a few hours.

I loved the original on Amiga. It absolutely blew me away at the time.

Initially I found myself comparing it to Syndicate and complaining a lot.

You cant steal cars then run over 100 people you persuadotroned to follow you onto the road?

Where's the gore?

Its right click to auto-attack rather than right click to fire? That's not Syndicate and its not even Cannon Fodder. How do you spray minigun bullets everywhere on a killing spree through the streets?

I think Syndicate at its core had more in common with Grand Theft Auto than it did Xcom/UFO.

That said, I found myself liking it more as I played along and worrying less about how you can't search every container and the environmental interaction is far too low. Thankfully I never played Syndicate Wars so I can't complain it doesn't have destructable buildings like that.

Also, I noticed you can just keep entering the same objective door over and over and get more XP every time? Bit of an obvious exploit to miss? I didn't do it enough to notice if I was getting less XP every time?

Back
Top Bottom