RPGWatch Feature - Serpent in the Staglands Review

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
After an array of articles with Gamescom stuff about games that haven't been released and two articles on Original Sin 2 that isn't going to be released any time soon either, it is time to get back to an article that covers a game that you can get your hands on. Here is a review of Serpent in the Staglands, made by Lackblogger weeks ago.

The game's primary point of interest is the Open World map with unbarred freedom to explore any nook and cranny you want in any particular order. Your only barrier being your ability to defeat the level of monsters in that area, or rather your desire to keep yourself in safer combat zones. There's a linear plot that unravels as you explore, so it's the usual case of dipping in and out of the main plot mixed with random sidequests and casual wandering for the sake of wandering.

The world is large and full of variety and includes dungeon crawling, town politics, puzzles, small shrine/ruin areas and huge overland monster infested wastelands, varying in landscape with each location, such as snow, marshland, forest, farmland, plains etc etc. Some locations will disappoint you with their seeming lack of relevance and activities while other areas will be knee deep in monsters/puzzles/quests and all sorts of this's and that's.
More information.

Last edited:
Thanks lackblogger for reviewing this game. Now enjoy the fame and glory that is yours from now on.

Nice job lack. Pity about the easy combat towards the end and story ending. Both those would annoy me as well. Glad to hear you felt it was an overall success.

Nice review lack!

That was a nice review right there! The 1-through-65 hour graphs are spot on!

The ending was so weird that it's kind of forgivable, in a way. I very much enjoyed my time with the game, including my Let's Play (specially my Let's Play), but if I had to point at something that I would like more of, it's dialog. There should more dialog and less combat, IMHO, but then again, maybe that's just a choice by the developers.

The developers are also both very nice people, shout out to them! :)

Yay, it's finally landed! Thanks to Myrthos for also being patient with me as I haven't made a proper review before. & thanks for the nice comments all. As someone said on the Codex dedicated thread on this game, it's probably better if the reviews for this game come a little bit late as each patch makes the game eminently more playable.

If I remember correctly the devs are working on an expansion as we speak. Free expansion to all owners of SitS.

Well done, lackblogger! Nice review!

First off nice review...

Second, on the con's. Loading times, how bad are they? If really bad is are there times in the game where you are back and forth loading areas?

omg free expansion. i might hold off now my alreayd slow pace

Yay, it's finally landed! Thanks to Myrthos for also being patient with me as I haven't made a proper review before. & thanks for the nice comments all. As someone said on the Codex dedicated thread on this game, it's probably better if the reviews for this game come a little bit late as each patch makes the game eminently more playable.

Yes. And the patches and expansion is the reason why I stopped playing it and started waiting instead :D

A good review, but for me the game would be 3 stars at best. I found the combat tedious due to the fact that most skills only passively influence combat and because spellcasting has such long casting times, that you rarely get more than one or two off per combat. The UI including the terrible minimap and lack of journal were really not for me. The game reminded me a lot on what I didn't like about Baldur's Gate (for example, stupid AI, which allows itself to be kited, pulled, et. which the developers compensate for by putting tough monsters in place that one can't beat without kiting, et. and terrible pathfinding), what I didn't like about Fallout(huge maps with little to do and the same opponents again and again) and what I didn't like about Ultima (Difficult puzzles that aren't always intuitive, and being left at times without a clue). Normally when you take elements from classics, you try to take the strengths, and leave the weaknesses be. Needless to say some people will like this kind of gameplay, some like me will tolerate it for the 17+ hours I put into the game, and others won't be able to get past the first map. The story and atmosphere really are super, and the game has a lot of unique and interesting ideas. Its one of those games that frustrated me, because I wanted to have fun with it, loved certain parts of it, but came back to not really enjoying it. Buyer beware.

A good review, but for me the game would be 3 stars at best. I found the combat tedious due to the fact that most skills only passively influence combat and because spellcasting has such long casting times, that you rarely get more than one or two off per combat. The UI including the terrible minimap and lack of journal were really not for me. The game reminded me a lot on what I didn't like about Baldur's Gate (for example, stupid AI, which allows itself to be kited, pulled, et. which the developers compensate for by putting tough monsters in place that one can't beat without kiting, et. and terrible pathfinding), what I didn't like about Fallout(huge maps with little to do and the same opponents again and again) and what I didn't like about Ultima (Difficult puzzles that aren't always intuitive, and being left at times without a clue). Normally when you take elements from classics, you try to take the strengths, and leave the weaknesses be. Needless to say some people will like this kind of gameplay, some like me will tolerate it for the 17+ hours I put into the game, and others won't be able to get past the first map. The story and atmosphere really are super, and the game has a lot of unique and interesting ideas. Its one of those games that frustrated me, because I wanted to have fun with it, loved certain parts of it, but came back to not really enjoying it. Buyers of modern crap beware.
I fixed it for you :p

I fixed it for you :p

I loved Might and Magic X, Paper Sorcerer, Wasteland 2, Pillars of Eternity, Fallout 1 & 2, Baldur's Gate 1&2, Wizardry 6-8, all the Might and Magic games, et. I am not a buyer of "modern crap." So I should be the audience for this game, right? But I'm not. If you like the game fine, but its got its flaws, and people should be aware of them.

Things he didn't like are like basic stuff, you cannot really like these games if you don't like their basic stuff. Also tough puzzles are common in so many older games, it goes beyond Ultima. It is normal that I conclude he only likes modern RPGs that have none of those.

Back
Top Bottom