Shadowrun: Hong Kong - More Positive Reviews

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
RPGFan:

"Few developers can craft a world or characters the way Harebrained Schemes does"

Pros:
Fantastic writing, fun battles, authentic world.

Cons:
Crummy controls, typos galore, little change from Dragonfall.

Bottom Line:
If you loved Dragonfall, you're going to really like Hong Kong.

Score: 87%
Gamespot:
The Good:
Stellar art direction, even with limitations
Rock solid cyberpunk storytelling
Gameplay is satisfyingly brutal with time
One of the better examples of morality systems

The Bad:

Building characters is frustratingly slow
Not terribly friendly to novices
Hacking mechanic is a bit tedious

Score: 8/10 - Great
More information.

Typos galore??? I'm usually kind of a freak about spelling and I don't remember any typos? I probably saw some but don't remember them, but common? No way.

EDIT: I wonder if the author of the review simply dind't grasp the fact that the charcters speak in different dialects and have different grammar and vocabulary. That's a pro, not a con...

Good to see. Anyone know how this is coming along in terms of bugs/patching?

Typos galore??? I'm usually kind of a freak about spelling and I don't remember any typos? I probably saw some but don't remember them, but common? No way.

EDIT: I wonder if the author of the review simply dind't grasp the fact that the charcters speak in different dialects and have different grammar and vocabulary. That's a pro, not a con…

There were a noticeable amount of genuine typos and grammatical errors when the game launched (and there probably still are some), but most of them have been fixed in patches. Of a bigger concern to me personally was that there were a few occasions where the wrong character name / portrait were displayed. One could figure out who was actually speaking without much trouble, but it was a bit immersion breaking.

Good to see. Anyone know how this is coming along in terms of bugs/patching?

I think at this point it's pretty solid. Might still be a few minor bugs you may run into, but I haven't encountered anything game-breaking.

It's a great game, but I think Dragonfall DC is better. A lot of the missions in DF are more interesting and in depth, combat offered more a challenge, and the pacing just seemed better. But there is some nice new additions in HK; I like the new cyberware and there is actually a proper inventory system now.

Incidentally I just started to play Dragonfall for the first time this weekend and I loooove it. Huge improvement over Returns.
I will definitely check out Hong Kong as soon as I find the time.

Back
Top Bottom