RPGWatch Feature: Depths of Peril Review

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Soldak's indie action/RPG with a strategy twist might look like just another hack'n'slasher but this couldn't be further from the truth. Here's a snip from our Depths of Peril review:
A major part of the game is adding recruits to your covenant. Up to five recruits can join a covenant and any one of them can join you as an adventuring partner, while the others stay back at the house. Recruits can sometimes be found wandering the world, though more commonly they'll come into town and announce themselves available - but only if you successfully complete a quest (usually time limited) to win their favour. Having the best recruits makes a big difference in the early-mid game, and changes the flow of combat while adventuring, especially if you take a complementary class. Mage players who find a good warrior to take along, for example, can concentrate on spell slinging while warriors might appreciate a priest for the buffs and healing. The adventuring recruit can be swapped out at any time and an existing recruit can be kicked out of the covenant to make way for a better option; deciding whether to keep one partner or rotate recruits to build their experience in the field and mix up the gameplay is all part of the fun.
Read it here.
More information.

I'm obviously biased, but this was a very, well written review. Thanks Dhruin and magerette.

I'm a bit surprised by the lack of reaction here. Well written review for a fun game.

To be fair, I was a bit slow getting this out, so I guess a lot of people have read the previews, read the earlier reviews and played the demo. :)

Fantastic game - I'm not a big hack'n'slash player but I really loved this and I'll go back and play it from time to time between other "assignments". The covenant play completely changes how it all comes together.

Never really understood hack'n slash games. Still, I liked the review. If only the major gaming sites delved into games with similar enthusiasm and wrote such indepth reviews. The RPGWatch features are very good otherwise too. Hope you post a review of The Witcher soon.

I really wish I had time to play this game ... thanks for the wonderful review!

You're probably wise to stay away from it for the moment , Mike. I saw your list--you'll never get all those reviews written with Puzzle Quest and this one on your machine. :)

Meh, you don't need to write any reviews. What you really need to do is destroy a covenant or two. :)

I recently played the demo today and I am hooked. I actually liked this game much more than I thought I would. The A.I control of the other covenants is just awesome. Not to mention that even if your covenant gets destroyed you keep your recruits, and loot. I'm buying this one.

Love the game.

Graphics/Story/Pretty-factor are Splendid...THE KILLER....I couldn't believe the ease to play---forgiving---easy to read---follow---learn-as-you-go.

Don't call it Diablo, DoP is fundamentally better.

I need to burn 2 days to relax, and I couldn't have chosen a better game. DoP always...and I mean...always...has some net twist to keep it entertaining and worth playing. It's not some cheaps ass game thrown together...it is worth the money.

I recently played the demo today and I am hooked. I actually liked this game much more than I thought I would. The A.I control of the other covenants is just awesome. Not to mention that even if your covenant gets destroyed you keep your recruits, and loot. I'm buying this one.

I couldn't believe how good it was. I'm just taking a breather before Dexter starts....again...totally glad to play DoP

Back
Top Bottom