Ghost of a Tale - Is Coming to Steam

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
No Greenlight phase needed - Steam wants Ghost of a Tale:

“INCONCEIVABLE…!”

This is going to be a very short update but I wanted to share a critical announcement with you: I was in the process of setting up the game’s Steam Greenlight page in order to start the required voting process. But in the middle of it I had to stop.

Why? Because Valve just contacted me to let me know they’re willing to skip us straight past Greenlight and land us directly into Early Access.

HOW TOTALLY AWESOME IS THAT!!! And completely unexpected I might add. I mean this is just mind-boggling (hence my quoting the late Vizzini in this post’s title)!

Besides the rarity of such an occurrence (to my knowledge at least) it’s going to save us a lot of precious time and energy that could have been better spent on developing the game.

If you’ll allow me a personal aside here; game development, contrarily to certain misconceptions, is not just fun and games. It is demanding work. Each and every day (and sometimes night) you have to fix broken things, find a way to bypass limitations, deal with frustrating technical issues, etc… So when something like that happens it feels good, believe me. It does. :)

Finally a big thank you to Matt and Tom from Valve, without whom this post would not have been possible! :p
More information.

"If you’ll allow me a personal aside here; game development, contrarily to certain misconceptions, is not just fun and games. It is demanding work."

Do you know what else is not just fun and games? Work. Every kind of work. I wish some of these lazy a#$ developers would just shut up about how 'difficult', 'demanding', 'complex' is their work. Get a grip on life....

Good news, but I do hope it will also be available on gog.

Do you know what else is not just fun and games? Work. Every kind of work.

I do not see any game developers disagreeing about that... ?

"If you’ll allow me a personal aside here; game development, contrarily to certain misconceptions, is not just fun and games. It is demanding work."

Do you know what else is not just fun and games? Work. Every kind of work. I wish some of these lazy a#$ developers would just shut up about how 'difficult', 'demanding', 'complex' is their work. Get a grip on life….

I was simply alluding to a common misconception that working as an indie game developer is all cool and hip because you do what you want. While it is indeed a nice perk, it still involves hard work and personal discipline. As any hard work does.

I didn't know anyone thought that being an indie developer was cool or hip. The only devs that seem to get that type of cred are ones like InXile or Obsidian and they're only considered that way because they really aren't indie at all.

I'm glad for your success though. Good luck with the Early Access.

I didn't know anyone thought that being an indie developer was cool or hip.
I do. Think. That.

But there is one small thing to add.
I think that about PC RPG indie developers. Other genres and other platforms? They're into it not because of love but because of (they believe) easy cash.

That is awesome news. Good to hear that also Steam likes what you are doing :)

Back
Top Bottom