Mount & Blade II - Interview @ GamereactorTV

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
GamereactorTV has interviewed Armagan Yavus about the improvements in Bannerlord compared to Warbands and the development progress:

We caught up with TaleWorld Entertainment's Armagan Yavus and found out how development is coming along on Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord.
More information.

I assume the interview is a few months old though. Looks to be from Gamescom.

Love Mount & Blade, especially the mod scene, so very much looking forward to this. I just wish the development time was not so long. Even if it release sometime in 2016 it will be another full year or more until its complete most likely. I realize they are a small team though. By my guestimate it will be around 2018 before its fully complete. I wonder how they make any profit from such a long development time?

I wonder how they make any profit from such a long development time?
They must have made a tone of money from Warband - almost 2mil owners, with huge player base of some 200k gamers who play it regularly. One can speculate that they must have made some 20mil € profit or even more with DLCs and other releases. Also im guessing that the developers cost in Turkey is much lower than in EU or USA.

You (Saxon1974) mean that they will release the game but will need plenty of patching for a long time? The only problem with that is that it wil harder to develop mods I think. But maybe I missunderstood you?

They must have made a tone of money from Warband - almost 2mil owners, with huge player base of some 200k gamers who play it regularly. One can speculate that they must have made some 20mil € profit or even more with DLCs and other releases. Also im guessing that the developers cost in Turkey is much lower than in EU or USA.

2 million sales would surprise me for a bit of a niche game but if so that's quite a bit of sales. That being said Warband is an update to the game released in what 2007/2008? So even if they made 2million euro on it that's like 250k per year over 8 years. They have had a few sales mods and I'm sure some new sales coming in so I guess for a small studio with low costs that's possible.

You (Saxon1974) mean that they will release the game but will need plenty of patching for a long time? The only problem with that is that it wil harder to develop mods I think. But maybe I missunderstood you?

Yes that's what I mean. I think original game released in like 2007 and it was like 2009 before I felt it was feature complete. Warband in 2010 was just the base game expanded and enhanced so really the version I loved was sometime around 2011/2012. That's like 5 years. Based on that M&B 2 if it releases in 2016 it will most likely be 2018 before its the fully complete game IMHO. Still excited but so far off

2 million sales would surprise me for a bit of a niche game but if so that's quite a bit of sales. That being said Warband is an update to the game released in what 2007/2008? So even if they made 2million euro on it that's like 250k per year over 8 years. They have had a few sales mods and I'm sure some new sales coming in so I guess for a small studio with low costs that's possible.

No Warband was more than just update - maybe owners got some discount but im sure Warband wasnt given out free, besides today there is only around 500k owners of original M&B compared to 1.9mil of Warband.
Also i wouldn't call M&B:W a niche game because its player-base is comparable to games like Rome Total War 2, MGS5, CoD:BO etc.
I do agree though that Bannerlord will most likely need more than a year to be fully functional, but from MP perspective it should be pretty good from the start i think.

Cant remember any discount operation made for owners of M&B.
Cant even remember that beta testers were offered a free copy. They might have been though.
So even if they made 2million euro on it
The speculation is about 20 millions in profit.

Cant remember any discount operation made for owners of M&B.
Cant even remember that beta testers were offered a free copy. They might have been though.

The speculation is about 20 millions in profit.
You're correct, there was no discount. I have followed M&B since pre-release version in 2006 which was discounted but Warband was full price when released in 2010.

You're correct, there was no discount. I have followed M&B since pre-release version in 2006 which was discounted but Warband was full price when released in 2010.

OK granted Warband wasn't a free upgrade, that's not what I meant really but more that it felt like the same upgraded game to me. Still 2 games in a 8 year period isn't much for a small studio. M&B feels like a game to me but that's my opinion and I could be wrong as I do t know user numbers.

Is it known if M&B2 will have a significant story campaign?

Back
Top Bottom