OtherSide Entertainment - System Shock 3 confirmed

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
PC Gamer has discovered that System Shock 3 is going to be made by Otherside Entertainment.

A mere month ago Night Dive Studios, the group behind System Shock Enhanced Edition, announced it was developing a remake of the classic sci-fi RPG and in conversations about a possible System Shock 3. Well, Night Dive seems to have had some very productive conversations, because it looks like System Shock 3 is coming from Otherside Entertainment, the small studio currently developing Ultima Underworld successor Underworld Ascendant.

On Monday, Otherside put up a cryptic teaser page with the letter "S" and a countdown clock visible, with six days of time to count down. A member of the RPG Codex forum did some digging to find the URL linked above, which reveals the final teaser, System Shock 3. The page source includes the text "Join the original team behind Ultima Underworld on a quest to rekindle this legendary fantasy RPG series." That text seems like it could very well be referring to their Kickstarter project Underworld Ascendant, but it also fits for System Shock. And the final teaser image is pretty conclusive, as is the promotions link which takes you to a System Shock 3 mailing list.

Paul Neurath, the founder of Otherside Entertainment, was one of the co-founders of System Shock developer Looking Glass Studios, and contributed to its design. Given that the small team at Otherside is currently working on Ascendant, System Shock 3 seems likely to be another crowdfunded project.
More information.

Great news! I had read where Night Dive had acquired the rights to System Shock, but just as recently as a month ago they had disavowed working on a sequel. Looks like the may have just enlisted Otherside to develop SS3.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/11/12/system-shock-remake/

Talks about a possible System Shock 3 have also begun, although Night Dive admit they would need outside help to achieve something on that scale.

Of a sequel, head of business development at Night Dive Larry Kuperman says: “To really do another game in that series is going to take resources and time and commitment that we don’t have, and it’s really not our core business.” However, the rights to make that sequel have now been removed from the legal limbo they appeared to exist in for so long.

"PC Gamer has discovered" my codling
The article itself does say that it was the Codex who actually discovered it :lol:

As for the game, I was never excited about System Shock 3 being made someday since I assumed it would be turned into a dumbed-down, console'ized corridor shooter, much like the Bioshock games are. But with Otherside doing it, maybe there is hope?

Last edited:
Unbelievably great news. "Look at you, hacker - a pathetic creature of meat and bone, panting and sweating as you run through my corridors. How can you challenge, a perfect, immortal, machine?" Getting the original voice for Shodan, and getting the music composer from SS2, are both musts, I say!

I really and I mean really, loved the start of 2 where you went thru the life of your character to get your stats.

Never played the first two games so I have little interest in playing the third game. So can some one briefly summarize why I should play the first two games.:bored:

I never played the first games as well but I'm very interested in playing the 3rd one. :)

Never played the first two games so I have little interest in playing the third game. So can some one briefly summarize why I should play the first two games.:bored:
Well, the 2nd one is generally regarded as one of the best first-person RPGs of all time. On the Codex's recent list of the top RPGs of all time, the only other "shooter-like" games above it are Vampire Bloodlines, FO:NV, and Deus Ex (some pretty good company). It also has a 92 on Metacritic and a 9.1 user rating there.

Back
Top Bottom