Steam - Winter Sale Starts 12/22

Aubrielle

Noveliste
Steam plans to cut it close with the start of its winter sale, which begins on December 22. Thanks, Shacknews.

We reported last month on Steam’s Autumn and Winter sales, saying at the time they would start on November 25th and December 22nd, respectively. We were spot on as to when the Autumn sale would kick off, and it appears we accurately revealed the Winter sale.

According to a promotional image from PayPal, the Steam Winter Sale will kick off on December 22nd. Considering the majority of sales start at 10am PT, we wouldn’t be surprised if you could start saving on thousands of titles start at that time.

Just like with the Autumn Sale, don’t expect there to be flash and daily sales as Valve changed how its big sales function starting with its last sale. Anyone who is participating in the Winter Sale will need to submit just one discount, instead of two, one of which would be used for flash and daily sales.
More information.

More information.

Only want to get I Shall Remain if it goes 75% off and Darkest Dungeon (but getting to 75% is a dream :()

I am guessing that the absence of flash sales is due to their refund policy implementation, people buying a game only to have the price go lower during a flash sale and requesting a refund.

The old rule of thumb was to buy a game if it was on a flash sale, else wait until the last day in case it did go lower. Now the price you see on day one is the lowest it will be for the duration of the sale.

I'm only waiting to see if the FFXIII games are getting a discount (minus Lightning Return which just released).

The Steam Winter Sale always stayed up until at least January 1st since 2010.

I am guessing that the absence of flash sales is due to their refund policy implementation, people buying a game only to have the price go lower during a flash sale and requesting a refund.
A bunch of folks have been saying that but it doesn't really make sense. Those flash sales only lasted for a matter of hours and Steam refunds take a good bit longer than that. It's possible they're worried people would try it, though, and when the refund didn't show up until the whole Winter sale was over, would be screaming bloody murder about it.

I'm starting to think it's just a flat out profit thing. The super-deep discounts weren't pushing enough sales at normal prices to make them worth it. Or maybe people were waiting for flash sales then not buying at all because they either missed the sale for the games they wanted or forgot about the sale by the time it showed up.

Only Valve knows for sure.

I only know regardless of discount on some games - there is no way I'd ever buy them.

Then again, if discounts didn't exist, I would never buy some other games.

Back
Top Bottom