Ubisoft - We Care About the PC...Really

Aubrielle

Noveliste
In a conversation about the upcoming RPG-ish Tom Clancy game, The Division, Ubisoft Massive, the game's developer, says "PC is incredibly important to us."

Creative Director Magnus Jansén released the following statement to Rock, Paper, Shotgun in a lengthy interview on The Division:

PC is incredibly important to us. There are plenty of incentives to do a good PC version. Personally it’s important – a I play on PC whenever I can and I want the thing they play at home to be the best possible version. That is not to be underestimated as a driving force. Secondly, both of the studios, Massive and Red Storm started out on PC so it’s a matter of pride, or heritage and pedigree if you will. We feel kind of ashamed if we don’t do the PC version really well. It really is something that we care about.

We’re a very technical studio as well. Sweden is a very technical country – we’re good at infrastructure and design, and a lot of our staff come from the old demoscene as well. There’s a lot of that heritage in the Swedish dev community and that is true here at Massive as well. It comes very natural to us. The engine, Snowdrop, enables the artists to do all of that great UI work and makes it relatively easy to expose all of those options on PC.

Ubisoft Massive also shared a fact sheet highlighting the main PC features of The Division.

• Flexible user interface: move, scale and adjust the opacity of the HUD.
  • Intuitive controls: navigate easily through the interface, inventory panels and map designed specifically to be used with a mouse or a controller.
  • Full mouse & keyboard support: opt for the high precision mouse and keyboard experience and switch to a controller in the middle of any encounter without interruption.
  • Text chat: team up with more agents of The Division by using the in-game text chat.
  • Optimized graphic settings & customised GPU effects: adjust a vast variety of technology treats, from realistic lighting, shading, snow particles, local reflection, fog volumetric scattering, depth of field and much more…
  • Multi-GPU support: unleash the graphic power of the best computer set ups for jaw-dropping graphics powered by Massive Entertainment’s game engine Snowdrop.
  • Multi-screen support: play with up to three screens for the most immersive and stunning experience of The Division.
  • Multi-resolutions: opt for 1080p or 4k and automatically adapt the resolution to fit multi-screen configurations with FOV correction.
  • Unlocked framerate: let the most powerful computer reach the highest framerate.
  • HBA0+: enjoy the most realistic shadowing, lighting algorithm and ambient occlusion.
There’s more, though. NVIDIA confirmed that The Division will also feature NVIDIA PCSS (Percentage Closer Soft Shadows); those are contact-hardening, realistic soft shadows that progressively soften as the distance from the casting object increases, further increasing realism.

There’s even support for certain LED keyboards. For example, the button mapped to your medkit will begin to flash when you’re low on health. You can also map a key for teammates, and that will flash too when they are in need of support.

Respected German website PCGamesHardware seems to agree. In a hands-on preview posted just yesterday, they said that the game on PC looks so much better than the console versions that it’s worlds apart, and there hasn’t been such a drastic difference in a very long time.
More information.

More information.

He claims the studio started on the PC as a company but , im not sure if that means they really focused on PC initially. I guess we'll just have to see how that goes

Not sure if they care about PC or not but this is one of the better PC feature lists I've seen.

It is a bit sad though that proper K&M support is now a feature and not something that should just be expected of a PC game.

I do long for the day that multiple monitor support is in every games. Displaying inventory,maps, etc on the other screens not just pstretching the game over them. I suppose that will never happen now though as VR will be the focus going forward.

Ah my other favorite company after EA, funny how only a few years ago it was " PC users are all pirates " and " consoles are our only priority" was what they had to say. Interesting change of heart but fortunatly we have so many many more interesting indi developers releasing games on the PC in the last several years that there is no need to waste our money on Ubisoft's half baked garbage.
The best thing that could happen is for people to remember their poor treatment of their customers and never send another dollar their way.

Ubisoft is nerd-speak for garbage. Do yourself a huge favour and never install their junk on your pc, let alone ever send a single dollar their way. I laugh and snort at their sad attempt to placate and lure pc users back to their nasty brand.

Massive is a great company. They made PC exclusive games like Ground Control series and brilliant World in Conflict. I have zero doubt they put their heart into the PC version. The ubisoft hate is nice and all, but pretty stupid too. I am playing AC Syndicate at the moment, and as much as I have many problems with the game regarding gameplay and writing, the PC version is fantastic and well optimized.

Massive is a great company.
I stopped caring about how great they used be ever since Ubisoft bought them years ago. Since then Massive hasn't made game I like to play after World in Conflict.

1. 2011 Assassin's Creed: Revelations
  2. 2012 Far Cry 3
  3. 2014 Just Dance Now
  4. 2016 Tom Clancy's The Division
Before Ubisoft Massive made good strategy games with Ground Control & World in Conflict, but since the acquisition they haven't made a strategy game since 2009.

TLDR: Massive is no Longer the studio it was ten years ago.;)

Last edited:
The ubisoft hate is nice and all, but pretty stupid too.
Not much hate involved here just disgust for the way Ubisoft has treated its customers in the past and a choice to not spend any money on their products.
Stupid is how people act who continue to allow them selves to be treated in such a manner and then come back and get inline for more of the same.
If people did not buy their product Ubisoft would not have money to buy up other companies and take them over. It is impossible to change a corporation's bad behavior if its customers reward such behavior with their money.

Lists of "PC features" like this are silly I have to say. It's like a car manufacturer that brags about their's coming with 4 wheels plus a spare, a steering wheel, windows etc, that doesn't show dedication or guarantee a good driving experience.

It's par for the course, you don't deserve so much as a pat on the back for not locking a game at a lower framerate (except maybe from those that think everyone is a precious snowflake and deserve a prize just for showing up). A list of features only available on PC, a list of settings expected on any AAA game does not make a PC game. It's merely a list of the most expected that they have yet to overlook or run foul of. There's no more reason to brag about this than an average first world person has to brag about getting their drivers license.

The fact they and possibly others think such a list makes a great PC game or shows dedication is odd and lacks perspective, the end result is the only thing I'd be interested in and I sure wouldn't take Ubisoft's word for anything as they've made sure their word is worthless.

The ubisoft hate is nice and all, but pretty stupid too.
Not much hate involved here just disgust for the way Ubisoft has treated its customers in the past and a choice to not spend any money on their products.

Exactly, it's not as if people's hate for companies comes from a feeling of value and satisfaction. Ubisoft has seemingly tried hard to have deserved vitriol thrown in it's direction. As for studios taken over by such companies, the studios may have a desire or even passion but they're ultimately in an uncomfortably small box dictating what they have to do, taking presidence over their desire or what it might result in.

Ubisoft is little better than Microsoft when it comes to PC gaming, and that's mostly because they don't use and abuse it to their own benefit at the expense of PC games and users. Though being better than something that pays lipservice one day only to do something selfish with an agenda the next, is hardly a good point.

Why should I care over a shooter ???

The really only thing I like about Ubi nowadays is :

- Rayman
- Raving Rabbits
- HOMM & M&M Remakes

Apart from that, nothing - but that's true to ActiBlizzard and any other bigger gaming company as well.

My look has turned away.

I stopped caring about how great they used be ever since Ubisoft bought them years ago. Since then Massive hasn't made game I like to play after World in Conflict.

1. 2011 Assassin's Creed: Revelations
  2. 2012 Far Cry 3
  3. 2014 Just Dance Now
  4. 2016 Tom Clancy's The Division
Before Ubisoft Massive made good strategy games with Ground Control & World in Conflict, but since the acquisition they haven't made a strategy game since 2009.

Yes, they helped on other games and now are leading development of their own game.
Doesn't change the fact that it is a great studio.

Stupid is how people act who continue to allow them selves to be treated in such a manner and then come back and get inline for more of the same.
If people did not buy their product Ubisoft would not have money to buy up other companies and take them over. It is impossible to change a corporation's bad behavior if its customers reward such behavior with their money.

Ubisoft did some stupid shit (fucking over Desilets etc) and I dislike some of their design practices (annualizing franchises, putting climbable towers everywhere). But overall they made so many great games I enjoyed that I have a hard time being too angry. If Division is good, I will buy it. Boohoo

Yes, they helped on other games and now are leading development of their own game.
Doesn't change the fact that it is a great studio.
No Paul they are not as most of the older developers that made Massive great have already left the studio, and Division does not make me have faith in them again.

Its just another third-person shooter hybrid.:(

Edit: One of the best comments about Ubisoft messing up the studio.
So you have a hardcore RealTimeStrategy developer that you bought with the sole intent of milling Tom Clancy games through. So instead of letting them make an RTS Tom Clancy you have them make the co-op and multiplayer for Farcry 3 (Why yes Farcry 3 does have multiplayer, don't worry I had to be reminded as well)

Ubisoft, your actions are simply illogical. The fact remains that you bought an RTS studio with seemingly no intention of letting them make RTS's. Was this a personal challenge? To see if you could take a company with zero "cinematic" FPS experience and contort them into something completely different? For seemingly no other reason than because you could?

Maybe The Division will be alright, though it would be nice to see how the game will actually play and not those painfully scripted segments you've shown. Seriously they were so scripted they may as well have been cutscenes. Either way, the idea of Ubisoft or any studio for that matter, buying studios with certain skill sets, than throwing out said skills because they don't fit the "Ubimold" that has enslaved the likes of Farcry 3, Asscreed and most recently Watchdogs, is somewhat terrifying. It feels like they only bought the studio because the building Massive was renting had a great view of the freeway and siad view just happened to come with a video game studio. That's enough rambling, point being, why would you buy a studio if you have no intent of using their skills in their genre of expertise?

The German computer magazine Gamestar did a feature on bad pc ports last month and Ubisoft got named for Watchdogs and Assassin's Creed:Unity. The latter sold especially poorly on the PC due to the bad press it got. If you ask me Ubisoft is trying to do some damage control.

I don't really have any problem with Ubisoft they make some games I like and some I don't just like all the other companies.

I have so many games in my backlog if Ubisoft never makes another game I want to play I'll be fine. I'll be trying the division though, co-op with my son.

Jump more on ubisoft dick plz. .. Any informed gamer would take this article with a (big) grain of salt…. Ubi changes their tune way too often for me to take them seriously, and ill not even mentioned MMX , the biggest shame in recent gaming history, only shameless capitalist pigs would do such a thing

Ubisoft doesn't care for PC.
Unless journalists and everyone else forgot:

1. WASD posing as mushrooms in AC3

2. Disastorus CPU usage on AC4 (one core on 100%, second on 30ish% and unused the rest which lead to microstutters)

3. Frequent audio problem with FC4

4. Utterly broken AC Unity and even after numerous patches with normal PC you can run it only on low settings

5. Is patching of latest HoMM over with? Dunno but if you bought it on uPlay - you can't use Steam workshop!

6. 30FPS as "there is no difference / feels more cinematic" retarded excuses

7. Last but not least, anyone remembers deliberate disabling visual bonanza in Watch Dogs so… Well… So console audience is not aware what crapware consoles are? Ubi insulted PC audience and only thanks to a modder we got those spectacular effects available on PC.

Dear Ubi, you care for PC like I care for last year's snow.
Instead of stopping with lies and presenting things as they actually are (aka you are incompetent of making a proper PC game and proper PC port), every year there is another oneliner to remember.
Continue making console crapware, leave PC alone or at least stop with the bullshit PR.

P.S. In case someone doesn't know, I have every single game of these I've numbered - on PC. Except last HoMM... Not even sure if I'll buy it ever.

Last edited:
So, lets see….

It sounds like they just want pc money.do u guys remember this?

Ubisoft CEO claims 93-95 percent piracy rate on its PC games

just one of many articles.
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/ub...ent-piracy-rate-on-its-pc-games/1100-6392939/

this was a year ago…lol they dont take pc serious.
http://www.polygon.com/2014/8/14/6002731/ubisoft-pledges-to-take-pc-more-seriously

this to lying about drm.
http://www.pcworld.com/article/238528/ubisoft_lies_about_drm_on_pc_port_of_from_dust.html

So all of the sudden ,when division is just about to be released, WE LOVE PC GAMING ….lololololololololol

yea right

Guys keep calm.

UBI is like every other major gaming publisher.

Some of their games do suck on PC, some don't.

It is vastly dependent on the developer and while their open-world-action-adventure engine is reused much too often, Far Cry 3 was one of the best mainstream games that have been produced in recent years.

And they also finance games that noone else would have: Valiant Hearts: The Great War, FC3-Blood Dragon; MMX, Child of Light...

And some regional niche products like the Anno-Games, the Settlers series; South Park TSoT etc.

Could you say anything better for ActivisionBlizzard, SquareEnix or any other major publisher?

Could you say anything better for ActivisionBlizzard, SquareEnix or any other major publisher?
Let's not go into Activision-Blizzard - Vivendi sold all shares they had (aka the future doesn't look bright). Except original Diablo I can't say I cared about any of their games. Not even sure who their audience (still) is.
Also not sure what people saw in WoW. It's so fun kill million of rats and from each one take one hair and bring it back to questgiver?

SquareEnix sure did have it's fails (grinder ported on PC where backspace is used instead of ESC TLR and similar design fails, then DX:The Fall scamware that should have never been released at all not only on PC) but their ports of DX:HR and Tomb Raider on PC are IMO pitch perfect. Let's also not forget that while I'm the first one who'll say FF13 is an utter crap of a game, the port is, if we'll talk about just port quality, awsome.
On top of that SquareEnix doesn't use some SquareEnixOrigin or SquPlay idiocy.

You numbered basically "indie" titles being Ubi's strong point. I mean… We're talking about games that sell in gazillion copies, where's polish on those ones?
There is actually Ubi's AAA that's actually a perfect port - AC:Rogue. When was the last time Ubi even mentioned it? Why they don't talk about it? Because someone might ask how come they managed to port a game that good and the rest of your products is junk.

Let's not go into Activision-Blizzard - Vivendi sold all shares they had (aka the future doesn't look bright). Except original Diablo I can't say I cared about any of their games. Not even sure who their audience (still) is.

You know, they have these 3 indie games franchises: Call of Duty, Skylanders and Destiny.

Let's also not forget that while I'm the first one who'll say FF13 is an utter crap of a game, the port is, if we'll talk about just port quality, awsome.

Wutt??? The FF13 and -2 I own are piss poor ports of the already piss poor XBox 360 version. My PS3 makes the games look a billion times better on my TV.

On top of that SquareEnix doesn't use some SquareEnixOrigin or SquPlay idiocy.

Strawman! Strawman! As long as they use STEAM (the worst of all) for their games I can't see them as being better in any way.

You numbered basically "indie" titles being Ubi's strong point.

Yes, that's because they are the freaking only AAA publisher who does these kind of games. Why shouldn't that be their strong point and why should we ignore that?

Back
Top Bottom