Grim Dawn - Review @ Niche Gamer

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Niche Gamer likes the action RPG Grim Dawn:

Grim Dawn Review – The Titan Quest Sequel We Always Wanted

It doesn’t take a genius to make a halfway decent action RPG, since all you technically need in order to entice the subgenre’s core audience into purchasing one is give it a ton of powerful loot, a complex skill system to craft a unique-looking character, and an online arena that players can show it all off in.

The developer now known as Crate Entertainment, who once went by Iron Lore, knows this fact well. So well, that their 2006 ARPG Titan Quest is still held up by genre fans as one of the best of its kind. This is fitting praise, since Titan Quest was one of the few non-Blizzard developed titles that stood out amongst its cookie-cutter kin. Its sharp visuals, large number of class combinations, and its sprawling overworld areas were something you didn’t see in ARPGs at the time, and due to this, the game is still cherished by PC gaming aficionados.

[...]

The bottom line with Grim Dawn is this: If you love action RPGs and want something with a deep class system whose combat is as flashy as it is addictive, then you’ll have a hard time finding anything better at the moment than Grim Dawn. It’s a fabulously well-built ARPG that takes everything that made Titan Quest so perfect and puts it in a cleaner, more polished package.

Score: 9/10
-> Some pictures

Thanks Eye!

More information.

I recently started up a new character for their feature complete build. I'm at 95 hours played (this includes previous builds of the game) and have my new character up to level 45 now.

Along with the standard quest line are shine hunts/challenges, another layer of skills which build your character beyond its standard class(es), reputation system grants access to new items (or increases hero mob spawns if you are hated), there is a single run challenge area where you either beat the boss or die (no leaving for town), and bounty quests for rep/cash building.

I'm sure I'm missing things as I haven't finished the new content yet. I'm looking forward to the next difficulty scale. It is a solid action RPG and worth playing through.

The next build sounds like a nice one as well.

Build 31 Preview
http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31762

great game, if you like arpg games you have to try this one.

B31 -coming before the end of february- wil make it even better, revamping the less used skills so we will have even more build options. It will also come with a "surprise" feature, can't wait to see what it is.

great game, if you like arpg games you have to try this one.

B31 -coming before the end of february- wil make it even better, revamping the less used skills so we will have even more build options. It will also come with a "surprise" feature, can't wait to see what it is.

Even if like me you are not a huge arpg fan, it's worth the fun when complete for a playthrough or two.

@Wisdom y that's true game is just good beyond genre restrictions, but if you love arpg already will become your most played. I got 300+ hours and i tried to not "burn" it, lot of people have 500+ already, someone more...

I am not typically the arpg crowd; I prefer the fuller-fledged crpgs, but I have 186 hours in Grim Dawn over 6 builds. Compare that to 68 hours on Dungeon Siege 3 and 72 hours on Diablo 3 and GD is the easy winner. The two Borderlands each saw about 70 hours also.

Note, I only play offline, so take that into account. If you enjoy both online and offline, you might be able to play this 500 hours.

I've never properly played a Diablo style game, but given all the positivity about this one I'll probably give it a go. It certainly looks fun enough.

guys b31 is gonna be released today! Crate said it in new grim misadventures!

Back
Top Bottom