Silent Storm - Retrospective Review @ RPS

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Eye spotted this retrospective review for Silent Storm at Rock, Paper, Shotgun:

The Joy Of Destruction In Silent Storm

It’s a strange time to look at old turn-based shooters. While we’re hardly swamped, the genre has left its dormancy, casting strange shadows on our old sacred cows. Whisper it now: maybe some of those old things we championed for so long aren’t all that great?

Fortunately, Silent Storm can ignore such insinuations, as it was never sacred. Its 2003 release by Nival Interactive caused little splash, and it didn’t find the legendary status of UFO or the dedicated mod scene of Jagged Alliance 2.

Playing it now, that strikes me as completely unfair.

[...]
More information.

One of the few games i played more than onces.
Never understood why it didnt got the "a classic" status.

One of the few games i played more than onces.
Never understood why it didnt got the "a classic" status.

Because it was a "stealth release". I was assigned as CM for the Gold Edition back then, it was amazing how non-existant any marketing or PR acitvities for the game were.

If you enjoy X-Com on the challenging difficulty settings, I would say yes.

One of the problems back then was that most PCs weren´t capable of running it properly, the destructible envrionment was too much for many systems back in 2003 - 2005, but it has aged well visually and runs now smoothly while delivering really good round-based tactic.

It was fun but had a few bugs. Not sure how the current release performs. Also the maps et all were mostly static not sure if it was mod-able for new maps.

Great game. Played it a few times. The main issue I had with it back in the day is how long the game took to redefine pathfinding once you started destroying stuff.

The last time I tried to run it I had set the max ram Windows boots with, below 4096. You can adjust this using msconfig on the boot tab. http://forums.galciv2.com/400080

Incredible game and one of my favourite turn-based tacticals. Although, the Panzerkleins are not everybody's taste and kinda suck for me, too.

There is a mod to replace them with elite enemies, though.

The Panzerklein took me right out of the game. I recommend the mod to remove them.

Otherwise, it's a classic game as far as I'm concerned. Nival Interactive also made an interesting single-character espionage game called Hammer & Sickle. This one feels more like an RPG.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom