Grim Dawn - Mod Tools

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
Ini the latest installment of Grim Dawn's Grim Misadventures we are provided with some details of the modding tools.

So Grim Dawn’s released, how about that? But Grim Misadventures cannot be stopped!

Reviews are slowly trickling in from a variety of publications. Grim Dawn now has over 6000 user reviews on Steam, with over 94% of them positive. We are sitting at a solid 8.9 User Score on Metacritic and averaging 85% from reviewers. Throughout its release week, the game has climbed as high as #2 on Steam, remained in the top 10 throughout its 10% release discount and has stayed in the top 25 despite a publisher sale that started recently. All in all, an excellent start to the game’s post-release!

But you are probably here because you want more Grim Dawn, MORE. Well do not worry; we still have plenty in store for you as we continue to support the game beyond its release. There are still modding tools, Survival Mode, an expansion and then some. What? There’s a “then some”? Of course there is, there must always be more. As for what the more is, you will have to wait and see!

First in line though are the game’s modding tools, based on the same tools in fact that we used to create the game. I am currently in the process of preparing documentation for them so that you can not only dive right in to creating your own worlds and modifications for Grim Dawn when the tools are released, you might even have a clue of what you are doing as you go on your way to creating grim misadventures of your very own.
Thanks Eye.

More information.

6000 user reviews on Steam, with over 94% of them positive.

That is actually impressive.

Excellent - I didn't even know a mod kit was on the table. I don't suppose I'll get around to playing for ages, but I'll buy to support a good dev.

It's a fantastic game. Really what I was hoping Path of Exile would be.

I really want to get more details on the mod tools and see if how feasible some ideas I have are. I'd like to add a couple factions along with a storyline for an upgradeable outpost.

Other than Titan Quest, there hasn't really been a single ARPG that I thought was any good since Diablo II. Grim Dawn, however, is outstanding and worth the $25 bucks, IMO. I just hope it sells enough to get a few expansions and a good modding community.

They really need to put together some kind of demo so people can check it out.

I love Steam reviews:

I need to sleep now. I've been playing for 15h without a pause.

P.P.S. My wife is angry. Very angry.

P.P.P.S. My wife is still angry and I have to make my own dinner today.

P.P.P.P.S. *whispers* She is coming. I can hear the footsteps. I need to stop writing this review now. If I die, please pick up my corpse and take my XP.

Corpse/10

:biggrin:

I suspect they are already millions in the black from the pre-release sales but I could be mistaken. They have 6000+ reviews (many of them pre-release sales) but what % of people normally review a game ?

Other than Titan Quest, there hasn't really been a single ARPG that I thought was any good since Diablo II. Grim Dawn, however, is outstanding and worth the $25 bucks, IMO. I just hope it sells enough to get a few expansions and a good modding community.

They really need to put together some kind of demo so people can check it out.

I suspect they are already millions in the black from the pre-release sales but I could be mistaken. They have 6000+ reviews (many of them pre-release sales) but what % of people normally review a game ?

Uh, do you know how long they developed this game? They are a small team, but spent years at Grim Dawn. So most, or even more is used. The game is just 25 bucks, so a real bargain for the great time you can spend with it. Www.steamspy.com says there are around 336'000 owners now, +/- 60'000 new sales since release. I hope they get paid off for their hard work and passion and get enough to finance a long support and their next projects.

Many of them. You can easilly find people that have hundreds of hours in Alpha. Tbh this game was more polished in Alpha than Diablo 3 was at release.
After that the game was become only better, more content and feature rich (more classes, devotion system, adding act 3 ending and act 4, adding legendary items, etc…).

What really shines in this game is itemization + character development systems combined. I dont have that much fun min maxing and number crunching since Diablo 2 MedianXL Mod and original Titan Quest. Also finding Epic And Legendary items is awesome - they are wery well designed and interesting.
And its different complexity that for example Path Of Exile have due to single player focus - everything is far more accessible for solo player.

94% on Steam is well deserved. They sold more than 50k copies after launch, the game was in top 10 steam sellers for couple days straight and they dont lose even one point (it was 94$ in early access too).

I cant wait for expansions and mods. :)

The game is NOT released for everybody! Those of us who backed the game in the early days on the promise of receiving a DRM free version, still don't have the game.

I paid $70 for a Legendary Edition way back before there was such a thing as Kickstarter.

But I've gone beyond anger now, so I don't want to harp on about it. But I'd really appreciate it if you could give a heads up when the game 'really' releases for everyone (not just Steam users).

Cheers.

For me it's simply the most enjoyable Diablo type game since Diablo 2, and I am struggling not to constantly be playing it lol.

I have bought and played all the latest action rpgs but this one has it's hooks in me like none recent have managed to do. Hats off to this development team and I hope it sells a ton.

The game is NOT released for everybody! Those of us who backed the game in the early days on the promise of receiving a DRM free version, still don't have the game.

I paid $70 for a Legendary Edition way back before there was such a thing as Kickstarter.

But I've gone beyond anger now, so I don't want to harp on about it. But I'd really appreciate it if you could give a heads up when the game 'really' releases for everyone (not just Steam users).

Cheers.

I can understand the frustration, and I was surprised that it wasn't on GOG yet. I always buy DRM-free when possible, and I went there to buy it, so they haven't got a sale from me yet.

EDIT:

They posted an update on the GOG forum a few hours ago:

"For those asking about the DRM-Free copy, we're working with GoG to distribute those, as many people seem to favor that service and it will make it easy for non-Steam users to receive updates and access multiplayer match-making, if they want that. We're hoping to distribute those keys either at the end of this week or early next week. The GoG keys will replace the 32 digit keys we originally sent out, back before we really knew about GoG as an option."

Last edited:
I think it is straight-forward as to the delay on gog. During development, as with many developers, they used steam for easy patching. In fact so many developers chose steam that GOG just recently released a similar feature for gog; but of course grim dawn started well before that new feature. Anyways these guys are much like the larian guys. If you have problems just contact them and they will respond (abit it can take a bit of time depending on current demand).

Yes it's the best click-click-click-click game in a very long while. I much prefer unique level designs over randomly generated ones too.

However I can't play for more than 1 or 2 hours at a time before taking a pause. But what is there is done well.

I don't like however that enemies respawn whenever you quit the game and relaunch it. Maybe the respawning should have been more sporadic (as in, hordes respawn randomly and take you by surprise) and not dependent on quitting and launching the game.

Humanity has risen! said:
I don't like however that enemies respawn whenever you quit the game and relaunch it. Maybe the respawning should have been more sporadic (as in, hordes respawn randomly and take you by surprise) and not dependent on quitting and launching the game.

There is option for this in game settings.

He is trolling, this is a diablo like and like all diablo likes it respawns whole map upon quitting your current session.

Cheers.

Grim Dawn has been released on GOG now.

@Staff
Maybe add a newsbit, to make sure that people wanting a heads up will see it?

Back
Top Bottom