Diablo - Original Design Pitch

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
In an article on Gamasutra about the original design documents for Diablo that were used to pitch the game, we learn that in that original pitch Diablo was described as a turn-based role-playing game with randomly-created dungeons at its heart and that is was heavily inspired by games like Nethack and Rogue.

Over the weekend game designer David Brevik published a scan of the original 1994 design proposal Condor, Inc. (which would later become Blizzard North) used to pitch Diablo to potential publishers.

Brevik made a promise to publish the document online after referencing it in his Diablo classic game postmortem at GDC last week, and it's worth perusing to get an understanding of how one of the most influential action-RPGs of the '90s was originally conceived.
More information.

Him or one of the other guys actually bothered to give a rundown on what it was going to be on the roguelike games Usenet group. By then it was already live action and I recall people being dismissive. I don't think anyone realized at the time how big it was going to be.

I already knew about the NetHack likeness ... and, to be honest, one must be blind as a mole not to see it.

Diablo was a great game, but I've often wondered how it would've turned out if it was turn-based.

Back
Top Bottom