Balrum - Update and Suggestions

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
Balrum has seen a few updates since its release and they now have reached version 1.08. In a recent Kickstarter update they also list the suggestions they have received from players and that are in this patch.

Suggested by the community:
-Pet swap (when out of combat you now swap places when walking to the tile where your pet currently is)
-Now we allow special characters when you create your map notes.
-Repairable equipped items appear on the top of the list in the repair panel. (with a different color)
-At your safeplace berry bushes now regrow. (only at your safeplace)
-Now there is a “dual class” warning panel when you dual class.
-Class skill tooltips now tell you about dual classing.
-When dual classed, teachers now tell you why they cannot teach you.
-You are now able to easily swap rings.
-While walking and simultaneously pressing 'M' the map panel won't immediately open the new note panel (if the cursor is inside the map panel).
-You are now able to rename your pet in the pet panel.
-You are now able to pick up multiple items from a stack when pressing the middle mouse button instead of one item.
-Major health/mana potion recipes are now learnable from teachers.
-Your pet is a little less twitchy.
-When you die the menu is now in a different place so involuntary clicks won't be a bother from now on.
-Tab switches now pulsate so they are easier to notice.
-Pet AI commands in the pet menu now have a tooltip with explanation.
-To lower the involuntary chopping of trees and mining during combat there is a text next to the cursor telling you your click will either chop down a tree or start mining.
-When defeating a certain boss the teleporter that teleports you outside now has an effect so you can notice it easier.
-When trying to open your map in the desert a floating text now tells you that there is no map for the desert.
-The fullscreen button in the options panel now informs you that you should check the automatically selected fullscreen resolution for correctness (multiple monitors with different resolutions).
More information.

One of my golden rules for games these days is I don't play betas, a rule I broke for this game over the past two years. I like it, and I plan on playing it some more once it is fully finished, it is certainly worth the money.

I still keep wanting to play this game but I have a strong feeling that the longer I wait to start it, the better and more polished it will become. And from what Crpgnut mentioned it doesn't sound like it lends itself to repeated playthroughs. (I'm not really much of a repeated playthrough guy anyway; I'm more one and done. ;) )

High, high up in the mountains of the southwestern
Yeah, this is a one and done game. There are 3 guilds, of which you can only play one each playthrough, but the guilds only come into the game in the 3rd chapter and there are only 3-4 unique quests/guild. No reason to replay a 60 hour game for that little of a difference.

It seems like a lot of folks are waiting for Balcony Team to stop tinkering before they buy the game. Not a bad idea. I'm sure they'll update it half a dozen more times in the next month or so.

This is on my wishlist. Any impressions from people playing it?
Useful piece to try some assertions made here and there.

For example, it has been said that the system of multiple releases was great because of the feedback it generates.

Crafting is a big chunk in the product and the player is invited to experiment with it.
Which is usually inventory management intensive. The UI is lacking up to the point that, while the player is able to create crafting recipes, the basic function of deleting them (let alone modifying them) is not implemented. Bloating of crafting lists must follow.

Five minute ingame is all it takes to find out. Yet the product is released without the basic deletion of recipes function.

Another example is the consequence of pledging game features when KS campaigning.

In this product, they pledged that the PC could build a home. Except they did not manage to implement the feature as it was supposed to be.

The home was supposed to be built in the direct gameworld where NPCs exist.
They failed.

As they had to get that feature in, they pushed it back to a parallel gameworld the PC can teleport anytime. In the doing, they destroyed many other features and the way they were supposed to work. Negative net.

All in all, the product is a massively failed game engine that cant support many of the announced features.

They went 2D in order to provide a living, ticking gameworld. That was the trade off. They did not even start to deliver on that.

Back
Top Bottom