Ghost of a Tale - Development Update

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
Seith has once again delivered a development update of Ghost of a Tale, in which he talks about the wrong choice to try and move to Unity 5.4, optimizations and table decisions.

Since the game doesn’t use baked lighting at all (every light is dynamic) it presents some optimization challenges. Casting shadows is very expensive in Unity. And baking shadows is quite limiting and would really bog down my workflow.

So I had to come up with ways of keeping nice visuals (shadows are a big part of it) and yet not burn the framerate budget on things that wouldn’t be seen.

It took a lot of work but I improved on the system I already mentioned in a previous update. Before, the lights visibility distance were subordinated to a unique value; an absolute distance all the game’s lights followed.

I changed that so each light now has a specific visibility distance, depending on its location and visibility. That level of granularity keeps lights looking the same, but they’re smoothly turned off by the game as soon as they’re not needed anymore.

It makes a very big difference in the framerate. Before, in the jail, I was around 45-50fps. Now I’m mostly around 70fps (oscillating between 65fps and 82fps). The courtyard is another matter though and I still have a lot of work to do there.

On top of this optimization work I also started using a different LOD system (called AutomaticLOD) for some of the game’s assets (models are getting simplified the further away they get from the camera). It allows the poly count to go down without any noticeable visual drawback. I’m still putting the asset through its pace but so far it works brilliantly and the developer is both helpful and reactive, which is extremely important!
More information.

Many modelling tools already include a mesh decimator-type operation for creating LoD (or just reducing the mesh count). But perhaps this tool saves some time?

Many modelling tools already include a mesh decimator-type operation for creating LoD (or just reducing the mesh count). But perhaps this tool saves some time?
It does, because it is directly integrated into Unity; I can just set a slider to check the decimation and click a button to save the LODs. It's really neat.

Back
Top Bottom