Seven - Preview @PCGamesN

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
Seven is a Thief-inspired, 3D isometric RPG. PCGamesN takes a closer look at what the ex-Witcher developers have been upto.

"You are not a warrior. You are not a knight or a berserker," warns Kubiak. "You are not using heavy swords, you are not using heavy plates. You cannot just jump in and fight with ten guys because they will kill you."

Just as you'd be hard-pressed to name another RPG that dabbles in parkour, you'd struggle to find another stealth game with a fast-forward button - implemented here to ensure players don't drift off while hiding from the guards.

But one thing the finest RPGs and stealth games have in common are clockwork systems that intermingle in interesting ways as the player passes through. That's something the Seven team are clearly shooting for. They paint a picture of a player prowling about town, weapons concealed so as not to alarm the populace, overhearing the location of a well-protected prize. Once there they might infiltrate under cover of rain, knowing the streets will be emptier - but taking their time so as not to splash conspicuously in puddles.
seven%202.png
More information.

This is basically isometric Thief with RPG elements.

I can't wait.

Seems very promising as it sounds like the developers have put a lot of thought into it. I wonder how the parkour aspect will work... I just hope it doesn't involve QTEs in any form or requires you to have godlike reflexes.

I definitely like the idea of a stealth game with a fast forward button. My desire to be sneaky often conflicts with my lack of patience sitting around waiting for guards to pass by.

Looking very promising.

Agree with daveyd though; hopefully no QTE.

Wait and see for me. I have fallen to often for pretty pictures and words.

Best played with a gamepad, Seven’s freerunning is a far cry from clicking to determine where you want your Pillars of Eternity party to be and waiting for them to turn up there. The unconventional control method is still in pre-alpha, but Fool’s Theory and IMGN.PRO are confident they’re onto something.

No thanks! I bloody love point and click games like 'Pillars of Eternity'. So they can keep their 'unconventional control method'.

I'm so sick of console ports with unplayable PC controls!

Best played with a gamepad, Seven’s freerunning is a far cry from clicking to determine where you want your Pillars of Eternity party to be and waiting for them to turn up there. The unconventional control method is still in pre-alpha, but Fool’s Theory and IMGN.PRO are confident they’re onto something.

Hmmm…

I have to admit I missed that paragraph. That does lower my expectations but I will still keep my eyes on it.

The game is still pre-alpha which means they're at the tinkering stage. I think the control scheme will live or die at beta.

Bah, the whole "controller bit", lowers the expectations some, otherwise this does seem promising.

Now if only we could get some hard news about "Seven Dragon Saga" as well (I thought this was it, when I read "Seven"), then I'd be really happy. That's one crpg title that's managed to remain pretty obscure although it must be a fair distance into development by now.

I began reading this with great interest: an isometric Thief. Sounds great!

But I have to agree with Tiptoe here. There are just too many games these days for me to put up with any crap I dont like....which is awesome, by the way. Even my niche tastes have more than enough games to fill my time-limited plate. So, I am afforded the luxury of being the crotchety old man I am at heart. Get off my lawn, crappy Xbox controller!

The game is still pre-alpha which means they're at the tinkering stage. I think the control scheme will live or die at beta.
I think beta phase is too late to completly change controls.

Yep.

However this review makes the game look more like a stealth/climb game than an actual RPG. So currently I'm not that excited…

Yep.

However this review makes the game look more like a stealth/climb game than an actual RPG. So currently I'm not that excited…

Too early to judge for me. Would have to see some quest/world design and interaction possibilities to be sure but whats described at least offers the possibility for fun quest design because its based on simulation. Of course it may end up too action oriented and linear mission based to achieve that.

Sounds cool as I did enjoy the thief games but I refuse to use a game pad or controller, Taking my keyboard and mouse with me to my grave :p

... well unless something just so spectacular comes onto the market it entices me to change my ways ...

I think beta phase is too late to completly change controls.

Thats right. Most people don't realise this, but the control input dictated almost everything about how the game is built and this comes into place right at the drawing board. Its not something simple that you just slap together at the last minute, its the foundation for your gameplay and systems. Everything is tweaked, built and designed based on your control input. Mouse and keyboard allows for limitless gamedesign, while controllers need to have everything built around their many limits and inept nature. Movement, level design, systems, gameplay, interface, - it's all tied with the control input.

Stopped reading (and caring) the instant I reached "Best played with a gamepad".

Back
Top Bottom