Halycon 6: Starbase Commander - On Steam EA

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
The Sci-fi strategy game Halycon 6: Starbase Commander with JRPG style combat will come to Steam Early Acces on the 21st of April and they are also at PAX East.

Get Ready To Conquer The Galaxy In KickStarter Darling 'Halcyon 6: Starbase Commander' Coming Soon To PC & Mac
Exploration, Base Building & Deep Tactical JRPG Style Combat!

Toronto, Canada, April 18th 2016: Only one year after their highly successful KickStarterTM campaign raised CAD $187,706 for their ambitious retro-styled sci-fi game, Halcyon 6: Starbase CommanderTM, Toronto based Massive Damage is set to launch their game on STEAMTM Early Access for PC and Mac.

Halcyon 6: Starbase CommanderTM is a strategy RPG with a unique blend of base building, exploration and deep tactical JRPG style combat system with capital starships and their idiosyncratic officers, all captured in stunningly beautiful modernized pixel graphics. In Halcyon 6, an unknown alien force is carving a path of destruction towards Earth and you, as the Commander of an immensely powerful, newly discovered derelict starbase left behind by a precursor alien race, are the best chance for the New Terran Federation to stop the impending invasion.

"As kids, we all grew up playing these amazing 90s space role-playing and adventure games and we really wanted to bring that sense of mystery, humor, and nostalgia in the way we designed the Halcyon 6 universe, alien cultures and player characters' interactions." said Ken Seto, CEO of Massive Damage.

Launching on April 21st via STEAMTM Early Access with Act 1 of 3, Massive Damage will be issuing frequent updates with bug fixes, balancing tweaks and free additional content in the weeks and months ahead.

More information.

Backed this one and looking forward to the full release. Looks like it is shaping up quite nicely.

I'll almost certainly buy this.

Generally, I'm not much of a fan of "retro-style" when it comes to this level of graphical "retroism". However, somehow this gives off a rather neat "Star Trek Original Series" vibe that I find rather charming and the gameplay sounds like it could be pretty interesting.

If anyone wants to have a go with this game and write something up about it for RPGWatch, let me know. We've received Steam keys for it.

They are in Beta now and will be on EA in 2 days, so it would be something like a first impressions article.

Well, I'm mostly interested in crew management (I assume they have stats, but do they have "personalities" and quirks/perks, how does the recruiting work?), how is the exploration (any worthwhile loot, random events, (size of) procedurally generated galaxy?), but mostly I'm interested in how fun it is... :)

Their KS also mentions warring Alien empires, that forge alliances and try to expand. I wonder how that works, and how it fits in with the Chruul invasion? Do we get to forge alliances or war on them too?

Looks fantastic! I've waited a long time for a fun, turn-based space game that's lighter than the really involved 4x genre.

Last edited:
Hi, Silver. If I recall correctly the game has procedural elements. So for me the question is if the game feels repetitive and generic (a problem many procedurally generated games have) or if each playthrough really feels like it offers something new. I'd also be curious how long a playthrough lasts.

Hi, Silver. If I recall correctly the game has procedural elements. So for me the question is if the game feels repetitive and generic (a problem many procedurally generated games have) or if each playthrough really feels like it offers something new. I'd also be curious how long a playthrough lasts.

I played 2 hours last night and I felt like I'd barely scratched the surface. I'll let you know once I successfully complete a game.

Looks cool. Graphically reminds me of Starbound but this game seems more directed which is good.

Game is nothing like Starbound other then graphics, so hard to compare the two.

Back
Top Bottom