Steam - Anime Sale on over 200 titles

I'm no a JRPG expert. Is there anything good with an interesting story or a great battle system?

Such JRPG is The Last Remnant:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/23310/
The game has a filler problem though, most of the time you'll just aimlessly grind. Norespawn mod doesn't exist to remove trashmobs' godlike ability to revive all the time and get on your nerves. You probably guessed right, superb idea on combat with interesting story, but designed as grinder - I hated this game and can not recommend it unless grinding is your thing.

It's not on sale.

Such JRPG is The Last Remnant:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/23310/
The game has a filler problem though, most of the time you'll just aimlessly grind. Norespawn mod doesn't exist to remove trashmobs' godlike ability to revive all the time and get on your nerves. You probably guessed right, superb idea on combat with interesting story, but designed as grinder - I hated this game and can not recommend it unless grinding is your thing.

It's not on sale.

Joxer being Joxer again. I hate grinding with a passion, and I liked and finished The Last Remnnant.

I finished the game too, it can't change my hatred for it's forte being endless mobrespawn instead of strategic partycomposition component.

I finished the game too, it can't change my hatred for it's forte being endless mobrespawn instead of strategic partycomposition component.

Then you'll like XCOM 2! No kidding, you really will!

Oh I'll buy XCom2, there is no way I'd skip that game, it's just I'll buy the complete version when on sale instead of accepting to be milked.

I'm looking through these sales hard. I'm not closed-minded, but I'll be damned if I've ever liked anime stuff. The PS1 had great Jrpg's; I loved them, but because of the consoles limitations I could still identify with the games. I think it's the art style, or the manner in which the characters present themselves. When that influence is really prominent in these modern titles it's hard for me to get over it.

I'm looking though!

Dragon's Dogma is your best bet if you're not typically into anime stuff and you're looking for a good battle system (though not currently on sale). Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky (also not on sale) is absolutely essential, too. Tales of Zestiria is pretty good if you don't mind anime.

Last edited:
I'm going to try Tales of Zestiria, that seems to be the the closest thing to a consensus of which of those are good. Supposedly it's KB+M controls are decent which is vital for me to enjoy a port. I don't play many JRPGs, FF7 was the last one I enjoyed, and that was nearly 20 years ago (though I still don't understand the story). I tried Last Remenant but thought it was so god-awful after about an hour I never touched it again.

emulate old school stuff. wild arms, alundra, original non remake final fantasy games. that is nirvana.

Thanks for the tips guys!
I already have The Last Remnant but it is not high on my list to play atm. Trails in the Sky I will definitely play at some point. I was close to pull the trigger on it a few times now...
Dragon's Dogma is on my list, too.
What's the opinion on Recettear?

Actually I've decided upon a Grandia 2

weird no one mentioned any of the games on sale. Hum. Maybe that is why they are on sale ?

Most of the games on the list aren't RPGs, many are indies, some are not even available in English. A good bunch are associated to existing anime/manga (Blazeblue, Memoria, Clannad, Naruto, etc), the rest are indies.

I picked up Fault milestone 2, just finished Fault milestone 1 (got it with 10 other games in a $5 bundle a few days ago, it's also on sale) and I really want to know how it goes. But that's a visual novel, not much gameplay there.

weird no one mentioned any of the games on sale. Hum. Maybe that is why they are on sale ?

I noticed that most of what's on sale are either visual novels or RPGMaker games. But then, they did call it an "Anime Sale" and not a "JRPG Sale", so…

Anyway, the Hyperdimension Neptunia games *are* on sale, and they're decent, but for me personally, they don't quite rank up with a lot of the games mentioned on this thread. I think if Idea Factory had given us better KB+M functionality, they could easily be just as good.

But that's just my $0.02.

I noticed that most of what's on sale are either visual novels or RPGMaker games. But then, they did call it an "Anime Sale" and not a "JRPG Sale", so…

Anyway, the Hyperdimension Neptunia games *are* on sale, and they're decent, but for me personally, they don't quite rank up with a lot of the games mentioned on this thread. I think if Idea Factory had given us better KB+M functionality, they could easily be just as good.

But that's just my $0.02.

Yep. I guess I will have to wait for the Steam summer sale then. It should be just a little over a month away.

Back
Top Bottom