Black Desert - WCCFtech Review

Aubrielle

Noveliste
WCCFtech reviews Black Desert Online and gives it a thumbs-up score of 8. They've included some in-game footage to whet your appetite.

Our own review will be out soon, so stay tuned!

Black Desert Online puts me in an awkward position. For a while now I’ve had a big issue with the stagnation of the MMORPG genre, the fact that beyond the visual there was rarely anything new, original and refreshing to grab my attention, beyond a few exceptions like The Secret World, Guild Wars 2 and, to an extent, Elder Scrolls Online. Games like Devilian and Blade & Soul have come and gone with me giving no second thought to them. I’ve been looking for something fresh, Black Desert Online delivers.
Read more.

More information.

Are the classes really all gender-locked other than Wizard/Witch?

Are the classes really all gender-locked other than Wizard/Witch?

Whew…big question.

So…every class is gender locked…even witch and wizard. By choosing the class, you choose the gender (and race). I cover this in the review, but to put it briefly…

-Warrior is male
-Valkyrie (sort of a fast, graceful paladin type) is female
-Berserker is male
-Musa (male samurai) has more aoe abilities
-Maehwa (female samurai) has more single-target dps abilities

While Pearl Abyss seems to really prefer their gender-locked model, at least they release new classes in pairs now, for the choice of male or female, even though each class has different "awakened" weapons and slightly different abilities. >.>

Last edited:
First couple of minutes of this video show ridiculous and stupid gameplay. Didn't wet my appetite at all..

Eh, Aubrielle is that you in the video? Kind of looks like your avatar here. :p

Nah, I snatched this video from Wccftech. Though my avatar is *my* ranger, so there's some similarity. :)

And I should have expected that kind of reaction. Reviewing the game, I knew that a lot of this audience would hate it. But it's ridiculously exciting, I'm way over 100 hours in, and I'm having a blast. It will surely appeal to some. :)

And there's nothing simplistic about it at all.

And I should have expected that kind of reaction. Reviewing the game, I knew that a lot of this audience would hate it.

Less highbrow passive aggressiveness, please. I was excited by the premise of this game - as I'm getting pretty desperate for an MMO to my liking. But none of its recent videos entice me to try out this wack-a-mole gameplay.

I'm still looking for the MMO that will do collaborative world-building well.

Does the construction and trade system here approach that?

Does anyone play as a guy in this game? Seems more like a paradise filled with beautiful asian ass kicking top models. :p

Less highbrow passive aggressiveness, please. I was excited by the premise of this game - as I'm getting pretty desperate for an MMO to my liking. But none of its recent videos entice me to try out this wack-a-mole gameplay.

I don't think a lot of videos really take the time to do the combat justice, to be honest. I've noticed a lot of people just doing the same rote repetition of combos over and over again. In this game, combat is all about maneuver, and no two fights are ever the same after about level 12 or so. Things can change quickly if you're not paying attention and head south fast, especially on one of the more difficult classes, like ranger. You always need to be able to stay behind your enemies or on the sides, and you're given seemingly limitless skills you can use in combat. It's like no other MMO I've ever played. I was used to walking up and slugging it out with mobs until one of us died. This couldn't be more different.

I'm still looking for the MMO that will do collaborative world-building well.

Does the construction and trade system here approach that?

I'm not sure I'm understanding you properly, but I'll try to answer…

BDO is essentially a single-player game. You level by yourself most of the time, and you go into production on your own. Since you can't directly trade many things with other players (HUGE flaw), you make all your own goods and sell them on the marketplace. Collaborative guild systems are coming, though…like guild quests (already available) and siege mode…the siege mode will be out in the Valencia update coming in, I think, July. So basically, it's becoming a more collaborative game, slowly.

Does anyone play as a guy in this game? Seems more like a paradise filled with beautiful asian ass kicking top models. :p

Oh, yeah. :) If you want to be a warrior or berserker, you have to be male. Male wizards get amazing skills, and the male samurai (musa) gets better aoe abilities than his female counterpart. And I'm a bit jealous, honestly...when ninja and kunoichi are introduced (probably July), the ninja is gonna be the one to get dual swords as an awakened weapon. >.>

Combat isn't as simple as it seems. The video shows very early combat scenarios, which isn't the same as the later stuff. As Aubrielle said, movement is really key, especially at higher levels. But it is all predicated on the concept of pulling and destroying large groups with AoE abilities while minimizing damage taken. You will use health pots pretty frequently at higher levels if your positioning or gear is lacking.

My biggest gripe is there's just too many inconvenient designs. You have to be logged in to do anything, including having your crops grow. You needs crops to make the +exp tea. There's no fast travel points. The best you can do is to set the computer to autorun all the way across the map). Tons of grinding, both to level up in the traditional sense, and your character abilities/energy.

Tons of grinding, both to level up in the traditional sense, and your character abilities/energy.

At least the grinding is fun, and it isn't completely absurd (like in Lineage 2, where you wanted to kill yourself after ten minutes and it kept going for hundreds of hours). ^.^ I honestly don't even notice myself grinding…I'll snap out of it when I've suddenly gained two levels and realize I've been doing it to finish a quest.

Seems fairly interesting. I'm still debating if I have enough time to invest and check it out though :p.

Combat isn't as simple as it seems. The video shows very early combat scenarios, which isn't the same as the later stuff. As Aubrielle said, movement is really key, especially at higher levels. But it is all predicated on the concept of pulling and destroying large groups with AoE abilities while minimizing damage taken. You will use health pots pretty frequently at higher levels if your positioning or gear is lacking.

My biggest gripe is there's just too many inconvenient designs. You have to be logged in to do anything, including having your crops grow. You needs crops to make the +exp tea. There's no fast travel points. The best you can do is to set the computer to autorun all the way across the map). Tons of grinding, both to level up in the traditional sense, and your character abilities/energy.

To be fair I lot of the grinding is optional, you can pretty much choose what to do. And the game has the option to minimize to SysTray when you quit, so it keeps running. But, this is an Asian MMO and they generally consider grinding as legitimate content.

Combat can be simple or complex. When you create a character, there's a graph giving you the classes' dependence on combos, their defense, evasion, control and something else that I forget. Classes that use combos and evasion can be pretty complex to fight with. But, combat doesn't have to be a large part of the game; you can craft, and the system's pretty complex. You can trade between cities (also not as simple as it sounds), you can farm special drops to turn in to NPCs for a lot of silver, you can do kill quests, etc.

The world map deserves a mention. Your quests, and their location, are shown on the world map. And not by !. Actual shading to show you the quest area and a small picture showing what you have to gather kill, etc. You can also choose to show climate, the water table, and about 6 other variables. Pretty nice, IMO.

The game's fairly realistic, so you have to ride a horse to get around ( and you have to care for it, like a real horse) no porting. I think the "inconvenient" systems are what make it immersive. My crops don't grow over night and that's how it is in RL. But, you can hire workers to do the farming, etc, as long as you have housing for them. I'm enjoying it and I have found zero bugs, so far.

Black Desert definitely an interesting MMO to come out in the last 5 years and I think anyone who is interested in MMO should try it regardless of all the videos and reviews you read. Its buy to play and the worse you loose is £30 and some game time.

The world is very immersive and this is mainly due to lack of so called "convenient" features found in other MMOs. For a starters there is no fast travel and I never felt this was an "inconvenient". You just have to adapt and chnage your play style. You need to make use of the systems the game allows. All of sudden the game feels like a real believable world.

Also the game has many different fully flushed out systems. I clocked in well over 200 hours in the game and most of that was spent in building my fishing empire! I never do this kind of stuff in any MMO! This is can get detail and complicated as a strategy game. I got to level 50 and most of the levels actually came from fishing rather than combat.

Now the game is not perfect. Here is why....

- well its not really an MMO! They created number of fully flushed non combat systems and they had to balance them all and make them viable. This means that they have to put lot of tight controls in the game which we don't except to see in a MMO. Also they were worried about gold sellers and how buy gold in this game can be far more damaging to the over all game than say WoW. So these controls turn this game into a single player MMO!

- They made some changes to the western version which in some ways turns the game into WoW in that there is a one single optimal path for loot and riches. Before this change there were multiple avenues to get best loot and money.

- Its buy to play but there is a cash shop with prices that will make even Apple blush! Personally I don't care about high prices but there some stuff you will need. But all all the cash shop isn't too but unlike other games which pretty much force you to buy stuff.

I have noticed how quickly the updates are rolling out, which should be a good sign methinks. Despite my mmo burnout I feel obliged to check it out some more once vacations are done.

I have noticed how quickly the updates are rolling out, which should be a good sign methinks. Despite my mmo burnout I feel obliged to check it out some more once vacations are done.

VACATIONS

give me one of those, plz~

Back
Top Bottom