Opinion - Why Video Games are Bad Role Models

Aubrielle

Noveliste
If you were thinking of eating turkey from a dumpster or planning to enjoy some irradiated salisbury steak, you might want to rethink that. GameInformer tells us why living like you're in a video game might not always be a good idea.

If you were to attempt half of the things commonly occur in video games, at best you would get dirty looks. At worst you would be imprisoned for life or end up dead. From eating food found in the street to disobeying traffic laws, committing mass murders, and lighting yourself on fire, there are a few lessons we shouldn’t take away from video games.

We collected some of the worst ideas video games have tried to put in our minds as a cautionary tale of what not do from day to day.
More information.

Well I am mostly sure stealing cars and shooting random people is, bad?

Silly Head line just to get people to click.

Well I am mostly sure stealing cars and shooting random people is, bad?

Silly Head line just to get people to click.

A little lighthearted humor now and then doesn't hurt, Celtic. :)

Save and reload could be useful in real life every now and then.

Sad thing is some people do get this option and still do the same dumb things that got them into trouble to begin with over and over again.

And then there's this.

Who knew that shooting fireballs from your hands could be bad for your social life...

Multi-Classing makes my job interesting...

Video products are very often excellent role models.

They are usually strongly conformistic. Through play, players are implicitly taught a core of hard rules players cant trangress.

The article introduced violence as being random while it is in fact codified. The exercize of violence is strongly codified in video products and players know how to respect the code.

As a result, there is no issue in behaving the same violent way in real life as long as the code is respected. You can kill people, steal, vandalize just as it is possible in video products as long as the same discipline is observed.

That is why video products are good role models: they teach players how to spot circumstances to behave this or that way.

When I was younger, and played quite a bit more than I do now, I would occasionally catch myself thinking "I'll just reload" when I was unhappy with a given result in real life. Equally disappointed every time. I would still love the chance to do that though.

Back
Top Bottom