Chris Avellone - New Project

Aubrielle

Noveliste
Chris Avellone has been brought on to write for the reboot of Bethesda's Prey.

It's not clear yet if the Prey reboot Arkane Studios and Bethesda Softworks announced at E3 this year falls into our scope of coverage or not, but there's at least one tidbit about it we should cover for the sake of our audience. Industry veteran Chris Avellone, who left Obsidian last year to pursue freelancing, is working on the title in some writing capacity, as announced by the man himself on Twitter. Apparently it was the folks at Arkane Studios that reached to Avellone first too, rather than the other way around, but the man isn't involved in a lead position:

@ChrisAvellone To this day, you're still my favorite writer in the industry. Are you able to say if you're the lead writer on nuPrey or not?

No - the amazing @RicardoBare and @rafcolantonio came to me w/ the story, and I was like, "fuck yes, I'd love to help."
As a piece of trivia, Kotaku's Jason Schreier (who has one of the best track records in the industry for this kind of coverage) wrote an article in 2013 claiming Obsidian Entertainment worked on Prey 2 after it left Human Head's hands. It's possible that this might make Avellone more familiar with the universe and help him while writing on the title, though we can't currently know if he ever worked on the project while it was briefly passed to Obsidian, and whether the current Prey reboot shares any element with the title that Bethesda quietly cancelled.
More information.

Is it a reboot or a sequel? (I always thought it was a sequel)

For all I could understand it's neither.
Seems it's a completely new game with new materials and with just - the same name.

Y'know, just like the other day you wanted to get chills fix with "the boy" horror movie and mistakingly rented "the boy" that's yucky melodrama movie.

Prey looks…. revamped completely. But it also looks original so i'll bite.

Trailers blocked from where I'm at... but I take it this is a FPS, not an RPG? I wonder why they need Chris Avellone's particular skill set then?

Trailers blocked from where I'm at… but I take it this is a FPS, not an RPG? I wonder why they need Chris Avellone's particular skill set then?
From what I can gather Obsidian briefly worked on the the prey sequel when Bethesda canceled it a few years back, and Avellone might have been one of the writers then.
Is it a reboot or a sequel? (I always thought it was a sequel)
Cancelled Prey 2 was a sequel but this seems to be a reboot set in a later time period.

Back
Top Bottom