Skullstone - Dungeon Crawler in Development

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
@RetroRemakes Skullstone, a Legend of Grimrock like game in development at the moment has made some progress with more to come soon.

Longer gameplay - no cuts!
This is a VERY early version so there is a lot of things that need to be done. Mobs are unbalanced - it means that they may be too weak or their skills aren't strong enough. Some icons are just a placeholders.
[...]

Now we are working on second style for dungeons, which would be different than Grimrock. Soon we will show it.

The game is written in Java, we use JMonkeyEngine. For textures - I don't know exactly, GIMP and Substance Painter for sure, maybe something else. Models are made in Blender.
More information.

If youre gonna clone grimrock so shamelessly (even the interface) you need to come up with something on youre own, some gameplay element, some mechanic, whatever

I like strategy in my battles. I think these kind of games like Grimlock and Eye of the Beholder look sweet in the dungeons but the battles bore me to death like real time strategy games.

Give me Civilization and Eador all day. For rpg's give me Might and Magic and Lords of Xulima.

On a side note do they even make real time strategy games anymore? Seems like the days of Warcraft and Command and Conquer are over.

Wouldn't say it's a "Grimrock Clone". It's just how a game looks if you take over the essential interface parts of games like Dungeon Master or Eye of the Beholder and remove the Background art, which kept the environment in a small window in these old games.

As I mentioned before I stay skeptical regarding the combat myself.

There are still RTS around, it's just not mainstream anymore.
Ashes of the Singularity is probably the most prominent new RTS game. Battlefleet Gothic: Armada is another one coming to my mind from the top of my head.

Hi Kordanor, are you going to review SteamWorld Heist on your channel?

Market positioning strategy? GUI quality? These people have to learn soo much.

Hi Kordanor, are you going to review SteamWorld Heist on your channel?

Wasn't aware that it's available on Windows now. It's not on my plan yet, but added it to my Wishlist now. ^^

Dungeon crawlers work best if completely turn based, Grimrock being an exception just because of how well they did it all.

They actually didn't. The combat was extremely arcade. You just circled around your enemies as one SIDESTEP+TURN - Sequence was faster than their turning and moving animation. This resulted in Character attributes being completely and utterly worthless as you only had time to use one character to attack if you wanted to avoid getting hit at all.

I showed this one before:

I don't know if it became better in Grimrock 2. The first one already felt so dull and was missing any story or flavour that I didn't check the second game.

I never did the circle/step thing myself, I found it much easier to simply pretend it was turn based and played it that way. Worked well for me, I meant that it looked good as a dungeon crawler in the sense of how the dungeons appeared and felt while playing. The mechanics surely were not perfect.

I always enjoyed games such as this, from Dungeon Master on my Atari ST nearly 3 decades ago to Grimrock 1 & 2 and M&M X more recently. However, Java means no sale and is a showstopper for me. I won't have that on any of my systems, new security holes are discovered in it almost as often as Flash, which I refuse to install too.

Hi guys. There's a progress update on our game. You can read it in this topic. Quite a lot of screenshots in that new post. Hope you'll find them interesting. :) You can also learn more about the game on our facebook page.

Please, share your opinions with us. :)

Last edited:
I welcome any kind of blobber, but yes, a turned base one would be fine. I guess we'll only have that one a successful indie turn based blobber spawns lots of initiators, like grimrock is doing now

Back
Top Bottom