Square Enix - Considering Star Ocean 5 port

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
@Gemetsu report on a FFDream interview where Square Enix declared it is considering a Star Ocean 5 port for pc but is trying to work out the controls first.

Star Ocean: Integrity and Faithlessness could come to PC following its PlayStation 4 release next week, according to producer Shuichi Kobayashi.

FFDream interviewed Kobayashi last month, who discussed the potential of a PC version. Here is the

FFDream: Are there any plans to port Star Ocean 5 to PC?

Kobayashi: "Since the game is full of action, I wonder the ideal commands for PC might be... What's the best way to play it, in your opinion?"

FFWorld: "With a game pad?"

Kobayashi: "Are people used to playing on PC with a game pad in Europe?"

FFWorld and FFDream: "Yes."

Kobayashi: "I see. So if you have a game pad, you can play it without problems, but I wonder how those who don't have one would play. That's our main concern and why we've pushed to release a PC version later on, so that we could reflect on the controls for players without a game pad. The ASKA engine, which tri-Ace used to develop Star Ocean 5, allows us to easily bring the game to PC, so if we can find a solution to our problem with the controls on PC, porting it should be easy enough for us, although I can't promise that it would be fast."

Star Ocean: Integrity and Faithlessness is due out for PlayStation 4 in North America next Tuesday, June 28, and in Europe next Friday, July 1.
More information.

If that will lead to bringing the older entries (Star Ocean 1+2 are on my favorites list), please. Wasn't exactly thrilled with 5, but wasn't a bad game either. Still hoping for more JRPG's making their way on PC (Wild Arms series, some of the Atelier titles, Persona series, Catherine are just a few coming to mind).

Still hoping for more JRPG's making their way on PC (Wild Arms series, some of the Atelier titles, Persona series, Catherine are just a few coming to mind).

This.

As long as they don't put Backspace to be used for something, the port will be good.

Going by the discussion in the OP, if there is a port they won't even bother with supporting the keyboard/mouse.

Also, you know someone never played an actual PC game when he ask how action games are played on a PC...

Going by the discussion in the OP, if there is a port they won't even bother with supporting the keyboard/mouse.

Also, you know someone never played an actual PC game when he ask how action games are played on a PC…

Maybe he was asking rhetorically? o.o; What I got from it is that it seemed like he was saying that they were making good KB+M controls a priority....o.o;

I could be wrong tho

Maybe he was asking rhetorically? o.o; What I got from it is that it seemed like he was saying that they were making good KB+M controls a priority….o.o;

I could be wrong tho

Looks like I skipped the last part, they aren't skipping the keyboard/mouse support, but they don't seem to know how to make that work when it should be rather straight forward and the interviewer doesn't seems to know about kb/mouse.

Going by Square other recent ports, I'm not expecting anything great. Hell, Lightning Return doesn't even support mouse look…

Last edited:
Well, to me this is silly. Kb/m are far superior and as long as the mouse works and you can rebind keys it doesn't really matter what crackheaded scheme they inflict. I can see an argument for a controller for a game like rocket league (even though I do fine with kb/m) for an RPG...oy, only reason to use a controller in that case is because you're couch-bound.

Well, to me this is silly. Kb/m are far superior and as long as the mouse works and you can rebind keys it doesn't really matter what crackheaded scheme they inflict. I can see an argument for a controller for a game like rocket league (even though I do fine with kb/m) for an RPG…oy, only reason to use a controller in that case is because you're couch-bound.

That's highly subjective and depends on both the game and the user. I prefer M+K myself for most games, but I don't think that means M+K is superior in general.

I'd very very happy to see some of these newer console jrpgs come to pc. Game pad doesn't bother me, I already use it for plenty of other games (Witcher 3 for example).

It's always good to see JRPGs coming to pc, but I'm really interested in Final Fantasy XV and Persona 5, not the Star Ocean series, though I'd like play Star Ocean 2 again. Never finished the game because my memory card went to hell. Oh, I'm depressed just by remembering. I was going to beat the main boss and my save file just died (along with other save files). Sad, sad times.

That's highly subjective and depends on both the game and the user. I prefer M+K myself for most games, but I don't think that means M+K is superior in general.

It's not. I play most games with my gamepad now. After spending my work day behind a keyboard, I have little interest these days to punish my sore fingers even more with a keyboard and mouse. Also, I'm "couch bound." ;)

I play games to have fun, not to prove that I'm good at video games and a game like this will always be better with a gamepad for me--although plenty of first-person games feel more immersive with mouse look-around.

If that will lead to bringing the older entries (Star Ocean 1+2 are on my favorites list), please. Wasn't exactly thrilled with 5, but wasn't a bad game either. Still hoping for more JRPG's making their way on PC (Wild Arms series, some of the Atelier titles, Persona series, Catherine are just a few coming to mind).

Thanks. Just remembering that makes me want to load up Persona 4. I dont believe I ever finished 4 as I thought it was too much like 3 at the time but lots of time has passed. I'd recommend PS2 emulator to get these titles on PC if you can't wait but they require a bios dump. I used Codebreaker years ago to dump mine but most wont have that luxury. I'd assume these games are available from ebay for basically shipping now but surprisingly still $20 on amazon though so maybe not.

Would be nice to see some of these ported to PC though. I've repurchased several games on Steam and gog just to have more convenient versions available.

I dont recall liking Star Ocean 4 too much. I recall thinking it was ok but ultimately rather bland with a few intriguing concepts in story at the time and really long as I recall.

Back
Top Bottom