System Shock - First Impressions

Aubrielle

Noveliste
In case you haven't gotten a chance to check out the demo yet, PC Gamer provides a bit of gameplay footage from the new System Shock. They really like what they see.

Remember Citadel? Absolutely, and if there’s one thing that really stands out about the new System Shock reboot, it’s that five seconds in, I’m home. To be exact, I’m in the Citadel Station that I think of when I fondly remember the series, rather than the blockier, low-resolution version of it that passed for the future back in 1994. Evil AI SHODAN is back in her original home, orbiting Saturn. All around are the corpses and blood splatters marking the human population’s last stand—a failed one. As the hacker accidentally responsible for the whole mess, you enter the story hoping to prevent things from getting even worse.

And yet, saying that the alpha demo is simply the same does it a disservice. This isn’t just an HD remaster, but a complete rebuild intended to take advantage of what was almost unthought-of technology for the time. It even adds a few clever tricks of its own. It’s System Shock, but it’s also new license-holders Nightdive Studios proving they can handle the franchise—System Shock 3 is on the way, in partnership with Otherside Entertainment. This is a chance to put their own stamp onto it.
Read more.

More information.

It just looks like a typical shooter with little or no non-combat interaction. I never played the original though, so maybe it gets better.

Nope, it's an old shooter with a kinda cool story. The Devs are banking on nostalgia to fund their game and it seems to be working.

System Shock was much more than a shooter. It's a sci-fi action-adventure than was revolutionary for its time. It's rarely been surpassed by modern story-based shooters, and I'd even say that most similar games are a big step backwards in comparison.

It's also 22 years old though, so most people who didn't play it back then aren't going to see it the same way. :)

Looks intresting, but combat & animations need more work. Like for instance when the player strikes a zombie with a large hammer and the enemy doesn't even stagger

Looks intresting, but combat & animations need more work. Like for instance when the player strikes a zombie with a large hammer and the enemy doesn't even stagger

Combat feels pretty good in the pre-alpha demo, but the game is a long way from being finished.

I think it looks really good considering the engine they're using. They're developing this with Unity which I've never been a big fan of.

Back
Top Bottom