IGN - Top 10 Dungeon Crawlers Ever

Aubrielle

Noveliste
IGN opens the pandora's box of RPG fan debate by compiling a list of their favorite dungeon crawlers of all time. Some are solid old staples, and some might surprise you. Wizardry, Ultima Underworld: Stygian Abyss, and Etrian Odyssey II all make the cut.

Players have been diving into dungeons since the very earliest days of video games, slaying dragons, stealing treasure, and descending to ever-darker depths in search of fortune, glory, and fun. Today, we’re counting down the top 10 dungeon crawlers of all time.

For the purposes of this list, we're defining “dungeon crawler” as a game mostly confined to a multi-floor dungeon area, featuring plentiful loot and favoring combat and exploration over platforming or deep storytelling.
Read on...

More information.

Quite good list, tho I never heard of entries #8 and #1.
Also: personally, I'd put the first Diablo somewhere in the list. Diablo 2 may be a better game, but Diablo redefined the genre.

Diablo 2 sucks. The only reason to play it was cow level grind.
I've also never heard of Etrian Odyssey II: Heroes of Lagaard, but to be honest, if it's IGN's #1, it'd probably be the last on some list of mine.

Surprisingly good list, especially for IGN. I didn't think they had it in em!

I'm surprised they picked EOII though. EO3 and especially EO4 did a lot more to move the series forward and were much better dungeon crawlers IMO.

How can you crawl a dungeon on a DS ?

Quite well actually...these are good games that actually use the two screens well....on one you have mostly the dungeon screens on the other you have where you draw the map. It's a classic dungeon crawl.

You read the comments and most on that site do not know what dungeon crawlers are.

"Wasn't Baldur's a DC? I vaguely remember playing it. Wasn't it like a top down RPG with lots of dungeons?"
- Lil_Ze76

And I should stress that you actually DRAW the map, using your stylus. It's probably the closest to the old days of mapping dungeons with graph paper that you are ever likely to find.

Quite well actually…these are good games that actually use the two screens well….on one you have mostly the dungeon screens on the other you have where you draw the map. It's a classic dungeon crawl.

just rofl

Back
Top Bottom