Eisenwald: Blood of November - Now on Kickstarter

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
A new sandbox-adventure Eisenwald: Blood of November from the makers of Legends of Eisenwald is now on Kickstarter:

Eisenwald: Blood of November

In this new story you will get to decide who is fit for the throne of the duchy of Eisenwald. The duke is dead, long live the duke. Two factions vie for the throne and you will have to choose a side, for neutrality is not an option.

We considered where we wanted to take the Eisenwald experience following on from Legends of Eisenwald and we decided that the sandbox route might suit our style of gameplay best. This will give the player an opportunity to experience the world of Eisenwald from a new angle, but still enjoy an old-school adventure in a standalone form. It’s also a great option for players scared off by the hefty 50 hours that was in Legends of Eisenwald. No prior knowledge of Eisenwald is required to get the full experience in Blood of November.

This new adventure will have many new features:

• Random events that add a great amount of replayability;
  • Smart re-spawn - improved dynamic balance of the armies;
  • Updated look - the engine and graphics will be reworked and improved;
  • Sandbox like gameplay – freedom of movement;
  • Experimental quest system that will change according to your behavior.
More information.

Loved the first game, my favorite RPG of the year, but this one is not that. It's short, like 8-10 hours.

Loved the first game, my favorite RPG of the year, but this one is not that. It's short, like 8-10 hours.

Yeah. I decided to back it anyway. Its only $7. Its also sandbox, and the original's strength was its story, so I'm not sure how well that will work. I still think they did such a good job with the first game and they were asking for little, that I backed them anyway.

First game was excellent I've not kicked in for this one yet, might do so at some point. If you've not played the first one, I suggest giving it a whirl.

I would like to see another campaign. Great game, although tactical options are a bit simply.

This game will not be entirely without a story. But it won't be story driven - I think this should work pretty well. Plus, we will add a few more strategic options. It's an experiment for us of course but I think it's going to be good. For some or many it could be better than original game. Sad to say, but majority of players does not expect or looks for a good story in an indie game. And in Legends of Eisenwald beginning was a bit slow and Run Away map is barely necessary.

We'd love to make another campaign but it's a huge effort and I am not sure it will pay off without making another huge development for LoE 2.

well i had a copy on steam but wanted a copy on gog; so i guess for $12 i can back this and get my gog copy. Kind of wish we could just buy a game and have it show up everywhere.
-
pity they don't support linux. I realize that linux is a small market today but i play most games when i travel and my travel box is a cube that runs linux and not very strong gpu.

well i had a copy on steam but wanted a copy on gog; so i guess for $12 i can back this and get my gog copy. Kind of wish we could just buy a game and have it show up everywhere.
-
pity they don't support linux. I realize that linux is a small market today but i play most games when i travel and my travel box is a cube that runs linux and not very strong gpu.
Linux is tough to port for a homemade engine, effort is huge, much more than we thought initially. Better sales would have given us the option to do the port.

Ports through codemasters for example are expensive as well, $2000 for Linux and another $2000 for Mac. Someone was even suggesting a Kickstarter for these ports but it would be tough since for press this would not be very exciting.

This game will not be entirely without a story. But it won't be story driven - I think this should work pretty well. Plus, we will add a few more strategic options. It's an experiment for us of course but I think it's going to be good. For some or many it could be better than original game. Sad to say, but majority of players does not expect or looks for a good story in an indie game. And in Legends of Eisenwald beginning was a bit slow and Run Away map is barely necessary.

We'd love to make another campaign but it's a huge effort and I am not sure it will pay off without making another huge development for LoE 2.

I've got the season pass but it seems that this one is not included is it ?

By the way will there be an Eisenwald 2?

I've got the season pass but it seems that this one is not included is it ?

By the way will there be an Eisenwald 2?
It is included in the season pass.

Eisenwald 2 is unlikely at the moment - we won't be able to pull off such a big production as Legends of Eisenwald was. Funding is the issue, when we developed LoE, we had some money to start with, then asked friend/family for help, then when we ran out we had the first Kickstarter. Then another investor, Early Access, one more investor and the game was released. In 2012 we had illusions about our abilities and budget, now we don't :) I don't know where to find 1m dollars for Eisenwald 2.

It is included in the season pass.

Eisenwald 2 is unlikely at the moment - we won't be able to pull off such a big production as Legends of Eisenwald was. Funding is the issue, when we developed LoE, we had some money to start with, then asked friend/family for help, then when we ran out we had the first Kickstarter. Then another investor, Early Access, one more investor and the game was released. In 2012 we had illusions about our abilities and budget, now we don't :) I don't know where to find 1m dollars for Eisenwald 2.

Nice to hear it is included.

You need 1M, That much?
You already got an engine, most of art and sounds. Plus your team is more skilled now.
A shame there will be no sequel :(

Nice to hear it is included.

You need 1M, That much?
You already got an engine, most of art and sounds. Plus your team is more skilled now.
A shame there will be no sequel :(

Well, maybe a bit less, but if we develop it again with two programmers then it's another 2-3-4 years, and it's going to be expensive no matter what. Hiring extra staff would speed up development but won't make it less expensive.

Reusing art won't work, since the new game is supposed to have a better look. Plus, I would add voicing and some simpler cut scenes - making a good game is not enough, it has to look good as well. This would be big production. Last time we pulled it off because of Kickstarter, Early Access and investors, overall we had like 6 funding rounds if we count my own money I put into the game and into our studio. It was possible in the past but Kickstarter now is much weaker, Early Access stopped working so we can't repeat the same approach. We will do a sequel sometime in the future I hope.

Last edited:
Well, maybe a bit less, but if we develop it again with two programmers then it's another 2-3-4 years, and it's going to be expensive no matter what. Hiring extra staff would speed up development but won't make it less expensive.

Reusing art won't work, since the new game is supposed to have a better look. Plus, I would add voicing and some simpler cut scenes - making a good game is not enough, it has to look good as well. This would be big production. Last time we pulled it off because of Kickstarter, Early Access and investors, overall we had like 6 funding rounds if we count my own money I put into the game and into our studio. It was possible in the past but Kickstarter now is much weaker, Early Access stopped working so we can't repeat the same approach. We will do a sequel sometime in the future I hope.

I understand, certainly hope you get it done somehow in the future :) I really think the engine can be reused, it certainly has details enough.

To bad the big investors only invest in "holywood productions".

I understand, certainly hope you get it done somehow in the future :) I really think the engine can be reused, it certainly has details enough.

To bad the big investors only invest in "holywood productions".

The engine will be reused for sure but the assets need to be reworked in our opinion. We might add physical rendering in the future - that will make picture much better. In Legends of Eisenwald we went for realistic picture but unfortunately many though the picture was generic. That's something we need to change in some way for Legends of Eisenwald 2 among other things…

So the season pass was for…what exactly?!

Oh wait, my bad...It's included. Good, good...

Back
Top Bottom