Mass Effect - No to Remastering

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
@GameWatcher Peter Moore is not interested in HD remasters putting to an end a rumour started by Patrick Soderlund about a Mass Effect trilogy remaster.

Peter Moore is EA's chief competition officer, and unfortunately he's shut down any talk of HD remasters, saying that the company is focussed on "delivering for the future".

"We are a company that is focussed on delivering for the future," said Moore in an interview with IGN. "Could we make an easy buck on remastering Mass Effect? Yes."

"We just feel like we want to go forward. There's a little thing called Mass Effect Andromeda that we're totally focused on at BioWare, and it's going to be magnificent. Anything that distracts from that...

"Do we have teams lying around that are doing nothing right now, that can go and? No, we don't. We want to focus on the future and delivering new IP and new experiences."
More information.

This needs to be updated, this interview was well before the Soderland remarks on remasters and the possible Mass Effect one.

It was recorded well ahead of time, for the record.

Better put the effort in new (good) ME games and not polish games that don't really need it. The trilogy is perfectly playable without a need for remastery IMO.

They are afraid that the old Mass Effect I-II-III remasters will massively overshadow the trainwreck junk heap they are attempting now calling it Mass Effect 4..

I'd really like to see those new IP's that EA works on...I do not call published games new IP's (Unravel or the upcoming Fe) and anything else from EA's 2016 release catalogue is anything, but new.

What we have announced so far: FIFA, Madden, NHL (with only FIFA coming on PC), Battlefield 1, Titanfall 2 and Mass Effect: Andromeda...Yeah, definitely new IPS's all over...

They do deliver for the future, right?!

They are afraid that the old Mass Effect I-II-III remasters will massively overshadow the trainwreck junk heap they are attempting now calling it Mass Effect 4..
No. Remasters would just boost ME4 sales.
There's another reason EA will not admit publically.

Remastering ME1 wouldn't be a problem. But remastering ME2/ME3 would.
Bioware Points. For some reason it seems EA cannot (or refuses to) ditch that garbage completely. When was the last time you heard about Bioware Points use in older games from EA? Yea... You won't.

I think it's a good thing. I don't know what the motives behind it is, they may be dubious. But with a few exceptuions, I really don't see the need for remasters, especially if the only change is improved graphics. I prefer that they in stead spend their resources on new (hopefully good!!!) games.

One reason is of course that I've never replayed a game (due to a pathologically long backlog). I realize that replay valu may increase with improved graphics.

There are exceptions. I like what has been done with the Lucasart games, but those were very old, with very pixellated graphics on today's sceens. (I had a 12" monitor when I played Day of the Tentacle).

pibbur who admittedly (regrettably) has bought graphically remastered games, thus meeting himself in the door.

Back
Top Bottom