Interplay - Sale of IP

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
At Globe News Wire they report that Interplay IP is going up for sale. The IP includes Earthworm Jim, Freespace, Giants, Kingpin, Messiah, MDK, Run Like Hell, Sacrifice, Battlechess, Clayfighter, Dark Alliance, and Descent.

LOS ANGELES, Sept. 7, 2016 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Leading video game software developer, publisher, and licensor, Interplay Entertainment Corp., today announced a process to sell its library of video game assets and intellectual property. The expected sale represents some 70 titles and dozens of characters.

"Interplay has entertained millions of players with its well-recognized games, including Earthworm Jim, Freespace, Giants, Kingpin, Messiah, MDK, Run Like Hell, Sacrifice, Battlechess, Clayfighter, Dark Alliance, and Descent. As game creators, we are proud of the entertainment these properties have provided over the years. With the proliferation of mobile, augmented reality, virtual reality and other new forms of consumption, we believe that consumers are ready to experience and interact with Interplay's characters, stories and game play in ways never possible before. We look forward to seeing how this unique portfolio of interactive entertainment icons will evolve for the worldwide audience," states Eric Caen, President of Interplay.

For more information about Interplay's sale of intellectual property, please contact Joe Morgan at Wedbush Securities (joe.morgan@wedbush.com), who has been engaged by the company to assist in this process.
More information.

Just wow

I suppose this means Interplay titles on GOG are in flux? I'm guessing they will have to negotiate with new owners to continue selling them.

Dunno bro I got the FO trilogy for free from GoG couple years ago.. After that they took it down. Likely it will remain like that

For pity's sake somebody (other than Ubisoft) please pick up Sacrifice and run with it!

I have a love/hate relationship with MDK. I played it a long time as a kid, but never really liked the game or art style. Since it was a time before internet and Steam games were hard to come by in my corner of the Earth, I had to play it. Somehow, every time I read the title I get a bad feeling. Then (quite a bit later) Baldur's Gate came along and everything was fine...

Hrm, the licenses should also include Stonekeep one of my favorite Dungeon Crawlers of all time.
So hopes are up to finally get an successor. :)

Dunno bro I got the FO trilogy for free from GoG couple years ago.. After that they took it down. Likely it will remain like that

Bethesda already bought the Fallout property awhile ago. Interplay's high market value titles have already been sold. This is what is left.

I can't see anyone paying a dime for most of those. Maybe Freespace and Descent.

I'd pay 100 bucks (despite knowing it's total worth is about $5) for the whole company, just to let it rest in peace.

Haha true story

Back
Top Bottom