Stellar Tactics - Early Access on September 22

Results of their decision are showing: either do a space combat or do a marine tactics combat on bases. They wanted both and its becoming a trainwreck. Become famous by embracing only one genre or sink into oblivion by biting off more than they can chew.

Results of their decision are showing: either do a space combat or do a marine tactics combat on bases. They wanted both and its becoming a trainwreck. Become famous by embracing only one genre or sink into oblivion by biting off more than they can chew.

Why you say is a trainwreck? The game has not even started to be early access...

Actually, some of my favourite games ever have some serious mish mashing going on. Space Rangers 2? King Arthur The RP Wargame? HoMM? When done right mish mashing can be great. I'm not saying ST will be, but I will give it a chance before I rule it out.

One thing tho… Its not that hard to make your own font in Illustrator. Im sick of everyone stealing the Coalition font. These devs are lame and have no style

I clearly care about different things than others seem to. Either that or my links are taking me to different places.

I think it looks great for a pre-early access.

Results of their decision are showing: either do a space combat or do a marine tactics combat on bases. They wanted both and its becoming a trainwreck.

I dont think they try to make both (equally). I assume that space marine missions/exploration and story are main components. Space combat is secondary and can be eventually simplified. They already did a lot with the main component. I just hope that there will be enough variety of space objects (space exploration) and types of marine missions.

Trainwreck - Ouch!

Ouch - a trainwrek, I'm sorry you feel this way. I understand your opinion is your's and I respect that.

A few things about Stellar tactics:

The voice in the trailer: It's a real voice, acted by Rick Whelan, a professional VO professional. Not sure if he applies post processing to his voice.

Tactics and Space: The game is actually an RPG, not a space combat or marine combat game, though, it is one of the few games that lets you travel the universe with a team of characters with both an open world, true RPG progression and yes, space combat (though not the focus of the game). The game is not a space simulator and it is not a X-Com clone. It is something entirely different.

They: There is no they, it is just me. Just me, six years and a lot of my spare time.

What is ST?: ST is at it's very core a cRPG! ST is a a mix of my favorite games. I wrote my first game in 1981 (really I did). Star Control, Elite, Buck Rodgers Gold Box, Fallout 1-2 and Baldurs Gate 1-2. It takes bits from my favorites, adds a few things and merges it all into something…different (dare I say it?). It's an indie game. It will never be a multi-million dollar production like some of the games I've worked on in the past. I'm pretty sure it wont be crap though.

Coalition font: Yeah, other than the logo (already trade marked), that font was scrapped some time ago for an updated, spiffy (IMHO) font that is both clean and tech, fitting for the game. The videos are fairly old. You can see the new font on the Steam website if you scroll through the screenshots. I'm also in the process of updating the GUI.

Pre-Early Access: Thank you, yes, that is the case - even pre-alpha, though the game is very stable now and playable.

I'm really excited to see what people think about the game. There have been many changes since these videos were produced:

--Much faster combat
--Much faster character movement in the environment (thanks for the feedback folks!)
--Combat QUEUE
--Asteroid Mining System
--Stability fixes
--GUI fixes
--Updated 3D camera with scene rotation
--Perk system (I'll be writing a developer log on this over the weekend)
--Universe updates that include space debris updates, low and high resolution sky (space) backgrounds
--more randomization in the way the universe is created
--updates to the display of system economy data
--better display of NPC ship faction data and more
--Refined loot system with more diversity in weapon, armor and upgrades, stats and variation.
--Much more, most listed on the Steam forums for all to see.

I hope you will give ST a chance.

Last edited:
The small video summarizes the troubles related to "ugoigo".

It is not so much that a guy in cover misses twice in a row at point blank range or that another unit member engaged in close combat on the left side of the encounter throws a grenade in to the right side of the encounter.

The trouble is the general situation: a squad funneled through a bottleneck with no visibility and taking no measure to cover forward movement in the open.

In RT, this situation is one for the defender/ambusher to go for at least a 1:1 trade.

In "ugoigo", one essential point is the amount of damage dealt/received by turn.
Clearly the defending side has not enough damage to kill anyone so the reckless move of advancing forward cant be punished.

Actually, the bottleneck situation does not exist. It has no weight. Bottleneck or not,it happens the same.

Back
Top Bottom