Golden Krone Hotel - Early Access October 26th

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
RockPaperShotgun had a look at Golden Krone Hotel. This turn based roguelike has an interesting premise of hunting a master vampire and some unique mechanics. The game is arriving on Steam early access October 26th.

If I fancy a session of old-fashioned honest-to-goodness roguelikin', I usually turn to one of the pillars of the genre, games that have been around forever and a day. I'm talking Ancient Domains of Mystery, Nethack, Dungeon Crawl, Angband. I'm always looking for something fresh to add to the circulation though and Golden Krone Hotel [official site] is a definite contender.

You're working your way through the wings and floors of a hotel, seeking a master vampire. Along the way you fight all manner of undead creatures and other creeps, and can even turn into a vampire or werewolf yourself. There are potions to identify, equipment upgrades to collect and spells to learn, but perhaps the most notable feature is the modelling of lightbeams shining through windows and a day/night cycle. Vampires burn in the sun, you see.

The game is coming to Early Access on October 26th but I've already had a quick play and like it very much indeed. Calculating the movement of beams of light as you move around - it's all turn-based - is neat, and the more conventional roguelike bits and pieces are all solid as well. The one major simplification is in equipment management - you have a revolver, armour, a melee weapon and a shield. When you find new versions, you'll keep them and upgrade if they're better than what you already have, and otherwise you'll convert them to cash, so there's no actual inventory to deal with.
More information.

Back
Top Bottom