Wasteland 3 - 3 Million and Beyond

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
This Wasteland 3 update provides some background on the Colorado Territories and adds a new stretch goal at $3.25M called the Bizarre.

The Colorado Territories

To celebrate the $3M milestone, the narrative team has written an introduction to the Colorado Territories that you'll be exploring in Wasteland 3.

When the bombs fell, the hardy and patriotic survivalists of Colorado Springs were ready. We burrowed deep and rode out the nuclear rage and the burning dark in our bunkers. We were the last bastion of Old America and the seeds of the new, waiting to bloom when the sun returned.

It never quite did, though. The cold never left Colorado, and the storied Hundred Families that survived Armageddon found that their former land of plenty had become an icy, bandit-haunted wasteland. We fought battles over every bite of food. Sickness came then. Starvation. Cannibalism and atrocities uncounted.

No one knows when the Patriarch was born. We only know the stories of his family's rise to power. We know he killed his twin with his own hands, and hung his mother for stealing from him. We know that the Dorsey clan crossed him, and what happened to them after, down to the smallest child. We know he hacked and hammered his nation into place until every family and faction answered to him. Even the savages roaming the frozen plains fear the Patriarch.

No one knows when he was born, but he won't live forever neither. His sons and daughters are fighting, breaking his nation into scheming factions. The warlords and the refugees from the dying east are already clawing at his borders.

At best, a war is coming. At worst?

Annihilation.​
[…]

Next Stretch Goal!

Our next stretch goal at $3.1M is the Customizable Ranger Squad Insignia, a fun gameplay element where your custom insignia which will appear around your Ranger Base and elsewhere in the world.

But what comes after? At $3.25M, we'll be adding the Bizarre!

The Bizarre is a marketplace of the expensive, the dangerous, and the weird. It was built into a half-buried ancient mall, difficult to reach even if you know where it is, and acts as a safe haven for the kind of deals that are best kept from any scrutiny. Once you have access to this place, you'll be able to browse the high-end stock, purchasing your pick of the Bizarre's valuable and dangerous items, or perhaps you'll have more nefarious plans for the place…
More information.

100 000 dollars just to create a Customizable Ranger Squad Insignia. :)
That was my 1st thought when it was first announced. People make better whole games for 100k like Underrail or AoD.

I agree with the posters above, although I cannot consider Wasteland 3 an indie game anymore. And they definitely do not need crowd funding for this.

I would say that's the reason they use Fig this time. It's meant for investors. Heck, I would invest a few thousand myself if I wouldn't have to cope with US tax authorities then.

I will likely use Fig at some point in time, but not for Fargo's stuff.

I doubt that the funds will all go to that purpose. Instead it's +1 extra man year of labor, plus a justification for posting a news update.

Those stretch goals are terrible. Why can't they just have stretch goals that add quests or new areas? Couldn't they just figure out how many man hours would it take to add a few quests and use that amount as a stretch goal? It seems obvious to me.

I will likely use Fig at some point in time, but not for Fargo's stuff.

I'd use it right away if the game was plain singleplayer.
With MMO at 567392836267563485765964 millions of $ worth stretch goal - after everything else which includes ports to Commodore 64 and similar stuff.

I think "The Bizarre" sounds pretty cool. I hope it gets reached. It sounds like its not only a place to buy high end, unique and interesting weapons, but could have some quests and exploration possibilities as well.

Those stretch goals are terrible. Why can't they just have stretch goals that add quests or new areas? Couldn't they just figure out how many man hours would it take to add a few quests and use that amount as a stretch goal? It seems obvious to me.

Because we have all seen what happens when you keep adding stretch goals....they never get made.

Two of the first three goals are extra art assets, which makes sense if you say know that your artists are going to have extra time at the end of the project when say programming and other things need to be finished.

I think the point of the stretch goals this time around is just to have something to say. I suspect they are not going to add anything major because they now have a better understanding of what is required to meet their time-line and to add something truely amazing as a stretch goal would likely stretch out the delivery date. I suppose if they got an extra million or two they might add a few more quests/locations but generally speaking major features take time and while the money might be there to pay for it the impact to the schedule can be significant (6+ months).

And some people spend more than 3 years of their lives and lots of their money to create a game like Stardew Valley (over 1 million sales on PC only for an indie game, now that is a indie success story)

And some people spend more than 3 years of their lives and lots of their money to create a game like Stardew Valley (over 1 million sales on PC only for an indie game, now that is a indie success story)
I find Paper Please to be a much better game to present a indie success story because that game is actually more serious game that is not for kids.

…difficult to reach even if you know where it is, and acts as a safe haven for the kind of deals that are best kept from any scrutiny…

Because you want to build a store where nobody can access it, as well as avoid any scrutiny in a post apocalyptic wasteland with no functioning government? :p

Still, it could have some interesting goods. I hope they have some auctioneering scenes...

Back
Top Bottom