Jade Empire: SE - Jade Empire Sequel Never Dead

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
@Game Informer asked Mike Laidlaw about a Jade Empire followup.

"Jade as a sequel is never dead," said BioWare creative director Mike Laidlaw, who worked as a lead writer on the original.

"There are a lot of people still at the studio who worked on that game and want to get back to it," said BioWare GM Aaryn Flynn. "I think one of the advantages to getting back to it after a long time is not only nostalgia is a very powerful feeling in people, but skipping a generation of hardware is actually really exciting because it feels like it's not an evolution. It's a revolution of what you can do, and I think that's the kind of thing that brings people. What if we were to revolutionize Jade Empire and brought it back in that regard? That's the kind of talk that still happens around the studio."
More information.

If the new ME is failing (as most people think that will), i doubt there will be a Bioware to do a Jade Empire (or any other game). As much as i loved Jade Empire, i don't think that the today's Bioware can make anything remotely interesting. The studio doesn't call the shots, the EA managers do. So there is no chance in hell that EA will allow anything risky.

So far EA avoided to present actual gameplay. Doesn't exactly inspires faith in their own product.

They will show the gameplay on the 1st of December. I for one like this approach. Better to reveal stuff 6 months before the game than 1 year.

Why would the new Mass Effect fail?
I'm sure it won't be a commercial failure but when you look at the trajectory of BioWare's RPG, it's hard to be optimistic about the quality. Their last 3 RPGs are DA2, Mass Effect 3, and DA:I....

Or to say with a little more optimism: it's time for a turning point. ;)

I'm sure it won't be a commercial failure but when you look at the trajectory of BioWare's RPG, it's hard to be optimistic about the quality. Their last 3 RPGs are DA2, Mass Effect 3, and DA:I….

Well I would say that ME 2,3 were more of an 3rd person shooter with RPG elements. And I don't mind that mix at all :) DA2 was abysmal, but DA:I was ok, nothing to go home and write about :D

I would take any time DA2 story over the DA:I's one...Anything else, though...Dammit...

At least for Andromeda they've thrown any pretense of RPG. Hell, even Borderlands 2 looks now as an RPG, looking at the new ME game....

I'm sure it won't be a commercial failure but when you look at the trajectory of BioWare's RPG, it's hard to be optimistic about the quality. Their last 3 RPGs are DA2, Mass Effect 3, and DA:I….

Eh, I wouldn't say that... what was before that? Nwn, Kotor, Jade Empire, ME I, DAO. Only Dragon Age II is arguably weakest and more for being rushed than anything else.
They did peak with BG II, wonder how much it was Black Isle's influence?

Btw, this is from a fan of the game. It's hard to believe them, any of the original developers are still there. Sounds like most of the owners and lead developers left long ago.

Anyone taking bets on what percentage of sales they will lose, if they make it origin only? Put me down for 25% and another 25% if they make it console only, like the original.

Isn't it guaranteed to be Origin-only? DA:I was, right?

We need a new Jade in a HUGE way. The fighting game genre makes the sports genre look lively. There's been almost zero movement in the past decade or so! Having a great RPG that uses fighting game mechanics for its battles (as opposed to first person shooter or the more recent roll-swing-roll melee combat) would be incredible.

Their last 3 RPGs are DA2, Mass Effect 3, and DA:I….
MA3 was plenty fun and DA:I was very fun! So much exploration to do! If that's the trajectory then I need to get more excited about MA:A.

Back
Top Bottom